Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using one? Thinking about getting one for my switch-barrel Remington 700, instead of pinning or welding the recoil lug. If you use one, I'd like to hear how you like it. Gary

·
Registered
751 Posts
what the heck is it and how does it work?

·
Registered
236 Posts
The tool he is refering to is a half-round piece of steel, the ID of it matches the OD of a Remington. It has a cut-out that the recoil lug fits in, and it has a hole drilled for the front action screw. In use, you would remove the action from the stock, bolt on this tool that will hold the recoil lug, then remove the barrel. Then, screw on the other barrel with the recoil lug still being held in the cut-out, and tighten the barrel. Brownells sells them, they aren't bad, but there is a little more clearance than I like between the cut-out and the lug. And, you will run into problems if you use an aftermarket lug like a Hollands, or Tubb. But for changing a barrel with a factory lug, they do OK.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You have to position the lug somehow and other than welding (not my choice) or pinning (hasn't worked well for me), and these jigs are about the only way. I have one with cutout for the factory lug, and another with a larger cutout. They work fine.

Another possibility. Aftermarket Savage recoil lugs from SSS are thick beautiful things with a heavy and nicely machined pin. If a Remington action were notched, the Savage system ought to work beautifully. I've been meaning to have one done that way.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have been using the Kliendorst tool for 25 years.....

and it works beautifully without having to go to the expense of having an action pinned. I Swap barrels all the time, never had a problem.

I did have one action pinned at the insistance of the gunsmith that had me convinced that it was the only way to go....BULL CRAP!!! I enjoyed the pinned action, but really could not for the life of me figure out why pinning was the HOLY GRAIL of swapping out barrels. A mind set can be a deep rut indeed!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ok.... it's just a recoil lug alignment tool.....

I have 3 or 4 of those laying around the shop...

I thought this was something "new".

Sorry for the stupid question.... LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.