Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
For the old time Real World...

Any idea of what kind of knife he uses? Watched it with my kids and would love to have a knife to handle abuse like that. A Rambo knife for the real world!
Sorry, I have yet to see the show you refer too. Maybe I should take the time too see it.

This was the knife of choice. The Supply Catalogs referred to it as a K-BAR, Knife-Browning Automatic Rifle. It was issued to any individual whose weapon could not fit a bayonet, such as the BAR. It is often confused with the Brand Name Ka-Bar, who we have to credit as being the first supplier of this knife to the Marine Corps.

The Knife on top is the oldest (35+ yrs from date of issue) and as you can tell has been well abused. The list of abuses is as long as my arm. Slightly bent, but still very functional. The lower one was obtained as a replacement for the top one, and it's list of abuse is close but not quite as long.

Both these knives were made by Camillus of NY. The oldest knife maker in the US.

I replaced one sheath last year due to rot. And after pulling them out of storage for this picture, I see I am negligent in cleaning/oiling them. This will get done shortly.

My good friend in Texas, (retired Army) carries a short version of this knife. Blade is 5 inches instead of 7 inches.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
That Limey dude makes me sick......he always just manages to make it back to civilization on time. I hope he chokes on those bugs and worms.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I second the lime thoughts

I wonder how many sandwiches and bottles of water the filming crew have supplied him on his supposed jaunts?

After all if you were stuck in " the wild" and the guy across the camp fire after a hard day of filming was chomping on say........ MREs or a sandwich don't you think you would too instead of eating ants, leaves or beatles?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Scott,
There is some talk about this over on the survival forum of Knifeforums.com
I did a search over there and didn't find a definitive answer. There are several knives around that will work just as well. The old "aircrew/ airforce survival knife" is a good example. You can beat the heck out of it and it will keep on going. Next would be an SRK from cold steel. While these knives will work for hunting as well, they aren't "optimized" for those purposes. They're a little heavy for one thing, and the edge geometry and blade thickness doesn't lend themselves to slicing efficiently.
I generally carry the pilots survival knife in my pack and then a "hunting knife" as well.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I caught one of the episodes with the American survivalist someplace in NM or AZ saying that he was alone, but the camera caught a glimpse of the camera boom and operator. Kind of killed the show for me after that.
I keep waiting for one of them to get mauled by a wild animal. That would be entertaining.

Ken:D

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
It's TV... nothing you see is how it really is.

I liked the episode where the American cooked some fish and was talking about how to get rid of the smell because it could attract unwanted visitors. In the middle of the night, he hears a bear in the bush. Guess he didn't get rid of the smell.

So what is his "expert" advice. Quietly slip on your pack and RUN. He went crashing through the bush, downhill in the dark. Yeah... there's some good advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.