Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thus is about as far as one can go here and not be off topic, but I swear it's 100% true.

WARNING spit your coffee out now before you read further...

About 10pm last night while watching TV my belly gets to growling. So...I head over to the spare bathroom for some privacy and try to answer the call of nature. 馃挬

So I'm sitting there straining and only getting out a little toot or two. Then out of the corner of my eye I catch movement. A freakin MOUSE runs out from the closet, sees me and runs back in. Game on!

So I stand up, pull up my pants and slide the shower rug up against the door to the bathroom and grab the only weapon I can find...the plunger!

I proceed to empty the closet. Finally I see him. Swing and a miss! He darts out and tries to get out but the rug has him trapped. We circle back and forth around the room for what seemed to be a good 4-5 minutes until I get him cornered behind the toilet. So I grab the toilet brush and poke one side. He scoots out the other and POW!!! Dead mouse.

I put everything back in the closet (neater than I found it I might add). I was so proud of myself I forgot to take the "hero photo". Miss Sue...not so much. I'd have liked to have seen HER reaction should a mouse run out while she was on the throne!

馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
When I still had my Siberian Cat Bouncer, i would corner a mouse somewhere and slang a rug under the door and let him have the fun.
He sure Hated Mice.

Registered
Mouse in The House is a horror movie in Julie's world.

Several years ago, I sold a .17HM2 10/22 barrel to a guy in PA. (Not Gettysburg) He built the gun to shoot mice INSIDE HIS HOUSE. Never got a hunt report before he passed away. Probably trampled in a mouse stampede.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doug, we had a customer come in the shop last year that told us he found a copperhead in his kitchen. He called 911, they said call the game commission. So he calls the game commission. They said there was nothing they could do. So he calls back to 911 and again asks for the state police to come for the copperhead. They said they wouldn't dispatch PA SP for a snake. SOOOO...he says "well then if you get a call about "shots fired" in Orrtanna, it's me" and proceeds to blast the snake with a 20 GA while on the line with 911.

Registered
.................................................................................... They said they wouldn't dispatch PA SP for a snake. SOOOO...he says "well then if you get a call about "shots fired" in Orrtanna, it's me" and proceeds to blast the snake with a 20 GA while on the line with 911.
Point made!

Heard a dispatch recording some years back from a sheriff's department in Oklahoma. Lady out in the middle of nowhere had a 2-legged snake trying to get into her house. Dispatcher stayed on the phone with her for almost an hour while deputies, including her son who happened to be on duty in the next county, were on the way. She told the dispatcher she had a shotgun. The guy picked up a lawn chair and was getting ready to throw it through her sliding glass door. She told the dispatcher she was going to put down the phone and the dispatcher told the lady to shoot him if he broke the door. He did, she did, he died, all on the recording.

Premium Member
I just love happy endings.

Back when I was a working slob, we were playing euchre in the fire house after dinner. A young black kid, maybe seven year old, came in and politely Sid hello and 鈥渨hatcha y鈥檃ll playing?鈥 One of said it is euchre. He walked around looking at hands and such. The captain asked him if he could help him. He said his momma sent him to tell us his house is on far. . 鈥淲HAT?? What鈥檚 burning?鈥 鈥淓ver thang鈥. Sure enough second floor of a two flat going throughout. And this was only four or five houses from the fire house. I couldn鈥檛 believe no one yelled or came running.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The saga continues...

A few months ago we had mice down by the electric panel in the basement chewing in something. Hopefully not the wires! Some traps set along the sill plate caught 2 and I put some poison out and been good for awhile now..

Tonight sitting in bed watching TV and I heard scratching again. I went down to investigate and sure enough, one went running. Reset the trap so they have to trip it going over the sill plate, set out some poison and back upstairs.

Well, about 20 minutes later I heard it again. So down I go, this time stopping by the gun safe on the way. Grabbed the 22 Buckmark and rat shot. Trap wasn't tripped. Somehow it got by or was another from the other direction maybe? Regardless, I poked a broom handle up there and he ran out stopping in the corner. Pop goes the Buckmark, he took a few shot and reeled back then ran. At such close range I almost missed completely, but think I got enough of him, he probably won't make it long.

Yes, I shot a mouse INSIDE my house. Like JR says. It's MY house. I'll put holes in it if I want to. Right JR? LOL

Registered
Thus is about as far as one can go here and not be off topic, but I swear it's 100% true.

WARNING spit your coffee out now before you read further...

About 10pm last night while watching TV my belly gets to growling. So...I head over to the spare bathroom for some privacy and try to answer the call of nature. 馃挬

So I'm sitting there straining and only getting out a little toot or two. Then out of the corner of my eye I catch movement. A freakin MOUSE runs out from the closet, sees me and runs back in. Game on!

So I stand up, pull up my pants and slide the shower rug up against the door to the bathroom and grab the only weapon I can find...the plunger!

I proceed to empty the closet. Finally I see him. Swing and a miss! He darts out and tries to get out but the rug has him trapped. We circle back and forth around the room for what seemed to be a good 4-5 minutes until I get him cornered behind the toilet. So I grab the toilet brush and poke one side. He scoots out the other and POW!!! Dead mouse.

I put everything back in the closet (neater than I found it I might add). I was so proud of myself I forgot to take the "hero photo". Miss Sue...not so much. I'd have liked to have seen HER reaction should a mouse run out while she was on the throne!

馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
Ya' gonna' get that one mounted? That would be eye-opening! Just don't 'cheat' and call it a midget P'dog!

Registered
Oh, Lord, it's late and I'm just now reading this. Thanks for the warning, Charlie, or I'd have spewed Maker's Mark all over my laptop. And the stories just got funnier and funnier. I nominate this for thread of the year and suspect it just might win. Man, I almost pee'd myself.

As far as mice and bathrooms, that's the most frequent place I've run into them in my house. It's almost always in the early winter and I'm 95% sure they are mice coming in from outside because that's the only time of the year we see any. Can't count the times I've been sitting there on the throne and a mouse squirts out beneath the linen closet door. I haven't had to use firearms yet; traps usually catch 2-3 and that's the end of it.

Great stories, guys.

Registered
Charlie and all, I have a similar story. About 25 years ago, we were getting ready to move, and had the house on the market. When I carried some stuff into the attic, I saw a blur and something buzzed my head - a frigging bat was inside my house! All I needed was to have some real estate lady showing the house see it and freak out. Not if my sure my Buckmark would cycle with CCI 22lr shot shells, so I went with my S&W Model 18. I actually did a test to see how much damage it would do. Took some scrap pieces of plywood sheeting and fired at about 8 feet. The shot only went in about one ply of the sheeting, maybe 1/8" at most. Now it was time to look for the bat. Walked around and found it up near the peak between the rafters. Aimed and fired, and after about 10 seconds, the bat fell to the floor, DRT. Ugly little suckers. Picked it up with a plastic bag, just like dog crap, and it was out to the garbage can.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tinman, the Buckmark will NOT cycle. That I know for sure. I've used it before to kill snakes around the pond, usually only requiring one shot, and if 2 are needed, you just cycle it manually. And the mouse was on the edge of the sill plate, kind of draped over it ready to run along the edge of block wall. I hit low and the shot from 3' tore up the wood a little bit. You could acutally see the outline where the mouse was from the pattern. I know he took at least a few shot to the midsection. I did put on safety glasses, by the way. I was kinda concerned the shot might come back at me, but none did.

Registered
Mice! Funny story Charlie! LOL

We have an influx of them after harvest season. With farm ground about 100 feet out my back door they head my way after the corn or beans are gone. I usually trap several in the garage.

Registered

Do you want me to send Otis up there for a while Charlie?

Registered
And the last place you expect your privacy to be interrupted. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts