Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the farm thursday afternoon, sat on the big powerline, at 5:15 4 suitcase does came into the field, I passed At 5:45 4 dig does came into the field..they kept looking back so I hoped for a big buck & waited.. at 6:10 almost dark I picked out the bigest doe to shoot & my cell phone went off. The deer were gone. I skipped friday morning but went to a tract south of Lewisville to try my luck there, saw nothing but lots of signs. I might try this tract for muzzle loading season next year. Passed saturday morning, sat in my favorite tower stand 6 acre food plot in front, swamp in front, lake on the right, pond on the left. Saw nothing but mosquittoes. There were more vishous mosqiittoes out than in mid summer. Got in my favotite ridge stand sunday morning about 8:30 4 curs came by got 2 of them.

Iraelly don't know what's happening, we put minimum pressure on the land but our deer are gone. Last year I passed 4 good 6-8 point 21/2 year olds in an area where I am the only 1 who hunts, none of them showed up this year.
I wore long john bottoms only twice this year, never had a heavy coat on and could have worn shorts & flip flops most of the year. The swamps are so dry that you can drive a car where a boat is normally used.

Well maybe next year will better.. We did eat really well all year.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I"ve heard the same thing, deer numbers DOWN,,,

I'll take this opportunity to admit a MISS. I placed a climber in a tree that had super observation of one of our 7 food plots. Could watch the plot without coming closer than 60 yards from the near edge of the field. Planned it all right. Just before dark, a doe sticks her head out at 100 yards. I had a good rest, she was unalarmed, and I had all the time in the world to watch her. But [uh oh!],,,,for some STUPID reason, I decided I would 'perform' a NECK SHOT. [can you see this is going downhill from here??:( ]. Shot, missed.:eek: I can NOT believe I took a neck shot,,but what REALLY BOTHERS ME, is that I FORGOT about my .250SAI being sighted in 2.5 to 3" high at 100 yards!
Getting old [being old?] is such a humbling experience for me. I have been crushed since it happened [Saturday evening]. Recovering is hard to do. I shouldn't make mistakes like I did. I know BETTER,,,etc, etc.
It's hard for someone who has read Jack O'Conner since the early 1960s to make such a STUPID shot choice,,and miss.
There,,I almost feel better.........yeah,,,right!:mad:
ps,,,saw a mosquito or two myself. Sure is going to be a BUGGY year! I guess the poison ivy and blackberry thorn vines will get THICK, too.
I"m worn out. Shouda' got that doe. How humiliating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.