Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone answer any questions about modifying an LED flashlight?
Specifically can I just swap 1W LED bulbs with 3W LED bulbs and get the much higher light output?

The one I have in mind is a Streamlight 2-L: It has 3 LED's and one Xenon, which is quite bright. But if I can swap the LED's out (I haven't checked the cost or anything yet) will it drain very fast? The LED's are supposed to last for over 24 hours straight and the Xenon only 2hrs.

Can this be done? I will try a few local stores for the LED's and upgraded (brighter) Xenon bulb as well

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Given that the voltage will be the same, substitution of a 1 watt led for a 3 watt led will triple the current draw since basically voltsXamps=watts. That will drop the life of the battery to 1/3 what it was before. The same applies to the Xenon bulb. If the new one draws more current at the same voltage it will drop the life of the battery as well.
Brian

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent explanation, thank you very much!
Now I just have to tear into it to see if I can get the LED's out and find some 3 Watt LED's!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check into the Luxeon brand

Hi Markbo,

I have been looking into the LED flashlights as well and it seems that the highest quality LED's right now are made by Luxeon. In fact the 1 watt that you are thinking about replacing is probably a Luxeon as well.

From this site it appears that the 2L is available with a Luxeon 3 Watt LED so it might be an easy swap.

http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/154.pdf

If you do a search for Luxeon LED's I am sure you would find plenty of online retailers.

Jon

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am not looking to buy a new one. I HAVE one already. And thanks for that link, though the one I have is the Twin-Task 2-L, dual Xenon/LED type.

I just took it apart and it appears that the LED's are soldered into a little circuit board. Now I have to decide if I want to risk totally destroying it just to get it apart! :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have one of the twin task lights, good idea with one flaw as I see it, the twin task uses one switch for both, alternating between modes.

I really wish they had the body switch for the LED mode, and add a tail cap switch for the Xenon mode, then it would be almost perfect! :)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I agree with Wingman...

I have 2 twin tasks, one that runs on "C" batteries, the other on the Lithium ones. I thought the same exact thing as Wingman.

Helpful hint: for the Lithium batteries, get them thru "Surefire" even after shipping they will be A LOT cheaper. I normally but 2 cases at a time. The shelf life is years, and I have several flashlights that use them.

Steven

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Leds tipically last for 1,000 of hr. so I doubt that you have burned out an lED yet. My guess is that you have a bad solder joint in the light. These thing are all made where they can be put togheter the cheapest and you get what you pay for. LED lite are the greatest thing since sliced bread, batteries last long enough that you can aford to buy a new lite when they go dead compaired to battery cost for the old incondesent litr bulbs.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hadn't thought of the multiple switch, but that would be a good thing!

Catfish... I have not burned out an LED... I just want to know if it is possible to just switch out the weaker ones for more powerful ones and just happened to find that they are soldered when i took it apart to take a look at it.

Since the 3W LED's are $20 EACH (I don't get that at all!) I think I will just use what I have and maybe I will stumble across a 3x3W LED light someday... I don't know of one now, but who knows.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.