Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use one ? Are they worth it ? Regardless of how careful I am about seating my 9mm bullets nice and straight, I will occasionally get a crooked one that creates a bulge on one side of the case, preventing it from chambering. I was wondering if the factory crimp die would prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Yep, I have 'em for my pistol calibers and like 'em, Carl. Besides putting the proper crimp (roll or taper) on the proper caliber, there's also a carbide ring near the mouth that ensures the cartridge is round and should fit the cylinder or chamber. That sizer ring will iron out your bulges just fine.

What the factory crimp die won't do is keep you from seating bullets too long or short. When you set up the die, it's based on the length of the brass, not the OAL of the whole round, so if it's short or long, that's on you.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. I wish I had this idea a year ago. The only place I can find one in stock is EBay and they are going for $40 and up. Could’ve gotten One a year ago for under $20.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Thanks Mike. I wish I had this idea a year ago. The only place I can find one in stock is EBay and they are going for $40 and up. Could’ve gotten One a year ago for under $20.
What !!**?? Forty bucks for a Lee crimp die. Geez! What calibers do you need most, I might have a pair of 'em?

UPDATE: Holy crap! A Lee 4-die set has gone from $50 to $140 on Amazon in the past 30 days! What's up with that? Are people just ignorant, because beginners who pay this much for reloading dies still can't get the primers, powder and bullets in most cases. Maybe it's guys who already reload but haven't bought dies for pistol calibers in the past. That would explain it ... maybe.

UPDATE #2: Lee makes a gizmo called a Bulge Buster Kit that sounds like it would be perfect for your need, Carl, and it's only about $20 and available. Problem is, it doesn't work with 9mm for some reason, and it sounds like that's the caliber that's giving you a problem. So, if someone else suggests the Lee Bulge Buster Kit, read the fine print.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. I saw the bulge buster also. The 9mm is The only one that I’ve had the issue with and It isn’t too serious. It only happens once every 100-200 rounds when I am out plinking. I‘m a tightwad so I can put up with it until they come back in stock somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts