Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon about 5:00pm all that practicing and patience payed off. My 6 year old son Lee shot this four point at about 80 yards and he dropped like a rock. Best thing is I got it all on video tape! Man, we are both on cloud nine!

The deer was quartering to us a little and he hit it right where the neck meets the shoulder. I'm pretty sure it tickled the spine a little bit, also caught the front of both lungs, broke the off side shoulder, and stopped under the skin.

He is shooting a .223 loaded with 55gr trophy bonded bear claw over 25.0gr benchmark and federal 205 in Winchester brass. Practice load is 35gr V-max over 6.0 unique, after some experimenting this one was closest to POI with his hunting load and pretty accurate.

A special thanks to Mr. Raab and the others who helped me work up the reduced loads that helped made this little fellow a straight shooter. That's what makes this place great.

Thank you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Age old tradition comes full circle

He may not look to happy about it in this picture but believe me he was.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
That's terrific!

I love hearing the father/son or daughter hunting stories. You're doing well! I'd guess from the photo that you'll have no trouble getting Lee to go hunting again. The benefits of activities with your kids are too many to count.

Congratulations Lee!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Congratulations On A Fine Deer Lee

What a nice deer. I want to know who was shaking more, Lee or Dad? To capture this on video is absolutely priceless. -Cliff-

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know Cliff, but I'm pretty sure it was me. Haven't been that excited in a long time, definetey my best hunt ever. It may take me a week or so but I'm gonna learn how to post or link to a video clip once I learn how to get it on computer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts