Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to use this. Seems we on here take coyote hunting (varmints) as every day doings. We booked a gentleman and son first of the week for coyote hunt. They had never done any varmint hunting before...only deer/turkey. Justin called up 7 coyotes for them that day and not a drop of blood was spilled or a hair mussed up. I have surmised ($2 word) that seeing and shooting (Hitting) varmints may be an acquired habit ($3 phrase). Sometimes it takes a little experience to get up to speed on spotting and "killing" varmints.:D :D :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree. It took me a fairly long time to actually hit a coyote, over several trips and stands. Saw 'em, just couldn't make that danged bullet hit any. After learning the "art" I took a ranch manager's son with me one time near Tucson. I called in a coyote who was meandering towards us. I kept asking Gary if he saw it and the reply was a consistant, "No." As soon as I dropped the coyote Gary said, "Oh, I see him now." Sometimes seeing is the hard part other times it's the hitting. Then there is the old "drought" condition where everthing goes wrong.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have hunted coyotes for many years, but still have not taken my first one! Seeing them and hitting them are two separate things. Even though I have yet to take one I enjoy watching them in the distance and get super excited just thinking that this time might be my time. I know that some year I will get mine, hope that 2007 is for me!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Ya know Bruce, I've told people for years that what calling is all about is stand setup. People spend tons of dollars on fance calls, callers, etc., when the real skill is in stand selection. Its easy to call coyotes.....alot tougher to get them dead. Its all about having a good "kill zone" and luring them into it. The people on this board who consistently accomplish that are the real callers. It has little to do with marksmanship, though staying cool is important. That only comes with being in the situation many times.....LOL.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You sir, are absolutely correct. Having had a small amount of success over the years it has become apparent that if you take the time for a proper setup you can put a predator at a severe disadvantage by making him approach your kill zone in a predictable path. Doing this gives you an easy shot as well as time to prepare for the shot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bruce, it's a learning curve for sure.

The very first time I went calling, I got one and smugly thought to myself, "this is a piece of cake". Yeah, right. Spent the next 2 years calling and seeing almost nothing, and even when I did call something in, I either screwed up and missed the shot, or I didn't get a shot because I got scented or busted by movement, etc. Yup, no substitute for hours spent in the field and learning through experience. I would add that I learned a TON from reading the experiences of experts on this board, watching videos, and reading some books. But the most valuable lessons came from sitting on stand and DOING it. Still have a lot to learn, but I enjoy calling and hunting coyotes as much as any other game animal I hunt and more than most. They are a wonderful challenge.

Vardoc

·
Registered
365 Posts
One of the very simplest and best tips I have regards which way you face when you set up.

Many (I dare say most) new callers will scrunch down facing the direction they expect to see a coyote -which may be the wrong place, but we ALL make THAT error! What you SHOULD do is to face about 60 degrees to the right of your shooting lane (for righties, turn left for lefties). It's MUCH easier to point the rifle to your left if the butt is in your right shoulder. Facing dead straight away practically assures that the yote will come in from your right --and you can't swing that way without making a lot of motion and noise.

Sit down and draw your legs up. Your best shooting lane is the arc from your left knee to straight off your left shoulder. So turn and put your killing zone in that arc. Now call.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts