Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
The line "Maybe it's disconnected" in George's funny reminds me of a troubleshooting issue I had a few months back. The power cord to my new computer has a HUGE flippin' transformer the size of a Brittanica (for those who know what that is). The section of cord coming from the AC plug joins the transformer with a rather large 3-pin connector that slides a good half inch or more into the transformer.

So, several months ago I went to boot up my laptop and it went to battery power. I shrugged and started tracing out the power connection. Transformer was plugged in and the power strip was lit up, so that looked OK. Cord went into the transformer brick, so that looked OK. The wire coming out of the transformer looked good and it was plugged into the back of the laptop correctly. Hmmm. First thought was that the power strip wasn't really on, so I checked some of the other devices connected there. Hmm, looks like the problem isn't the power strip. Then as I worked my way toward the transformer "brick," I felt the connection there wiggle just a bit. Turns out the honking big, 3-pin connector to the transformer had backed itself out ever so slightly. If you just looked at it, it looked like a good connection. And you could even pick the transformer up and the wire still looked connected. But it had pulled out just enough to break the electrical connection. Seated that plug firmly and the mystery was solved.

This little blip in my morning reminded me that when you're troubleshooting, you can't assume anything. You have to unplug and reseat every connection to make sure. I'm sure y'all have run into similar problems.

PS. Thanks, Dad, for making me be your helper on your fix-it projects around the house and for teaching me the basics of troubleshooting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got a call one day about a piece if equipment not working. First question, is it plugged in? I got, well yes it is do you think I'm stupid? Then more questions followed and I ended up on a service call. I drove 4 hours there, got out of the truck and found the equipment plugged into an extension cord. I followed the cord around the wall and plugged it in to the outlet. $900 and 9 hours total to plug in an extension cord. I was talking to the maintenance guy at the plant, he was the head electrician there! LOL! you can't make this stuff up.

·
Administrator
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True story, this lady I went to school with and dated a couple of times and yes, she was blonde. She called me one time and I had to install a new hard drive in her computer. As I was working, she was telling me about when she first got a computer. She had to call tech service one day and the tech asked her what she had on her desktop. She says, well I have a mouse, pad and keyboard, she said the tech burst out laughing. I can say I started laughing myself when she told me the story.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
George, I enjoy hearing about your day and your adventures. Thanks for sharing them.

Kentucky Fisherman, I've done a lot of trouble shooting. From the distribution system that supplies power to your city, neighborhood or home down to what you just did. Its mostly common sense, but that seems to be getting rare!

I feel lucky to have grown up in a time where real men changed their own oil, replaced their own brakes, changed plugs and points, worked on the lawn mower, ect and for having a Dad and Grandparents that taught me those things.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
+1 Lightman. All those things and more, like tile work, plaster repair, concrete work, plumbing, carpentry, etc. Dad was not fond of electrical work, so he had a friend do it or hired it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts