Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It serves no purpose but to catch several people in a passing fad,a quick cash market scam.I have been told I'm wrong...So why is it that Remington has dropped every model of 6.8 SPC from their 2007 line up? GONE! SEE YA!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I thought it was one of the dumbest ideas that our military again has come up with.........also.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My thoughts..

.. it was orginally confab'd to improve terminal performance for the M-16 weapon, right? I think I'm right anyway. However, in a TC 14-16 inch barrel it shines with the light bullets. I have not ran the test my self, but will rest assured, about the claims it 'equals' the 270JDJ. JDJ himself made that statement, either read it or heard so, don't remember now. In a light weight 'deer rifle' like for youth or the smaller statured hunters I think it would be viable choice. I haven't shot a 6.8SPC yet but I bet it's a real pussy cat. Why the 277 diameter I haven't a clue. Personally, I think the 30SPC would have been much more suited have it been taken to 25 bore for the M-16. Your thoughts on the 6.8 SPC being a sales gimmick may very well be correct. Now that it's GONE... I'll make another prediction, those Remington rifles will now bring a premium. Wait six months are try and find one?

·
Registered
446 Posts
But of course. Sorry for the confustion, it's early you know.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I was fairly interested in the 6.8 (and 6.5 Grendel, but that's another rant) when it was first announced - for the AR platform. But... nobody had barrels and bolts at first. Then the distributors didn't want to sell barrels and bolts, but complete uppers - more profit that way. Of course, the uppers weren't in the $400-500 price range, but rather in the $1,000 price range with all the 'tactical' add-ons.

And then, nobody had ammo - for MONTHS! When it did become available it wasn't in bulk, but in 20-round boxes. No brass, just factory ammo. About that time, I gave up on it. I figured that in 2-3 years either everything I wanted initially would be readily available, or it would be DEAD. Looks like the latter, rather than the former.

IMHO, once the Army nixed the program, that was the death knell for the cartridge.

·
Registered
65 Posts
6.8 Spc

I shot one on the range this past september. Our range is out to 250 yards. The bolt action remington was smooth and the accuracy was great. I think that I saw the 6.8 rem in remington catalog, you can check on line at remingtonarms.com. . I was impressed and I have talked with some sholders who have returned form Agfganastan and Iraq and they were impressed by the performance of the bullet. The thing they liked was one hit and down the bad guys went. I thnk the weight of the bullet we were shooting was 115 grain. Anyway fellas, I was impressed. Ghost

·
Registered
299 Posts
S.o.s.

Geezes.. Every time something new comes out the BS starts.. Maybe it doesn't fit your particular need at the time but how does that make something a "dog".? My first thought when I saw it was "this thing's beggin' to be wildcatted".. And after reading the ballistic reports on the factory offerings (not much data from real users back then) from around the net I was thinking it was a bit anemic.. But this was a coupla years ago when anything that didn't go over 3K/fps was immediately poo-pooed..
..Skip ahead to this year, and for my GP's rifle I'd like something with a tad more punch than my 223's 'cause we now have feral pigs and I didn't shoot over 70 yards at a deer during the entire season.. Which seems to be the norm anymore.. Plus I switched to the AR platform which I'm liking a lot but I'd like something smaller than this .308 version.. And the guys I know WHO ARE ACTUALLY USING THE 6.8 CASE have had good reports on it's terminal performance. Here lately I've eased up on my obsession with speed and try to worry more about enjoying my hunt.. (.30 Remington.? Schweet)

.. So it's good for nothing 'cause the military doesn't use it.? Are you kidding me.? I reckon we better chuck all these other useless and dead cartridges out that the 30-06 guys said would be no good when they brought out that little pipsqueek .308, huh.? Afterall, what "real man" would go for burning less powder and a smaller cartridge.? (next thing ya know he'll be asking directions.!!:eek: )
..While yer at it ya better call those guys over at Silver State and tell'em ta quit making that small primered brass for the 6.8 since that whole "death knell" thing is going on (6.5 Grendel and associated proprietary BS.? Agreed).. Upper assemblies, barrels and bolts are readily available in whatever form from plenty of sources if you'll talk to more than just the gun show vendors who still have not grasped the concept of making ammo and swear that anything not within their glass case is useless or obsolete.. And poor 'ol John Hollinger over at White Oak, makin that neat little wildcat.. Wait'll I tell'im that the parent case is on it's death knell.. I bet he'll be all broke up..
.."More profit", what a novel concept.. Businesses having the audacity to try and make money.. The gall.!! :rolleyes: Uppers I have seen (DPMS, to name one) are in the same ball park as the "standard" versions.. Capitalism works like this.. Go shopping.. (Andy Griffith wizeazz mode off)

..Bottom line.. If ya don't like it, don't buy it (Capitalism works like that, too).. And if ya ain't got nothin' better ta do, don't get online and aggitate yer fellow board participants.. :D (that's MY job) d:^) Jake

·
Registered
91 Posts
... then why has Remington dropped it?

The way I read Remingtons site they haven't dropped it.

6.8 REMINGTON SPC
• Model 700™ SPS™ • Model Seven™ CDL™ • Model Seven™ SS

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/centerfire_rifles_by_calibers.asp

I don't think the .277" dia. bullet or the 300Rem case were a good choice but it was an experimental attempt to make the M16 a viable rifle in actual battle conditions and it may actually do just that. For bolt guns I like the 6.5mm bore and a shortened .260Rem case to duplicate the old standard 250 Savage. But thats just my likes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Jake in NC.

Good read, and sooo funny!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very well put. I agree with post 100%.

The 6.eight is what it is and nothing more, if ya don't like it, fine, don't buy it then. I for one like mine chambered in an AR, shoots great, light recoil and alot better payload than a 223.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I picked up one of the stainless Remington 700 tacticals from the SniperHide forum. Nice rifle, but I haven't shot it yet. I just got the Silver State Armory brass for it with the small primer pockets and some 90gr TNT bullets.

My friend loves the cartridge for a light deer rifle. I am curious to see what it can accomplish as a varminter
Ken

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't let the Army dropping the program fool you. The reason that the round came into being was because the Spec-Ops guys needed something with better terminal ballistics. Army didn't want to admit the shortcomings of the 5.56, so they went outside normal channels and designed their own round. It was a larger diameter that would fit into the magazine of an existing platform. It was a good idea and it worked. unfortunately, as is typical with the military, they let it die in infancy because the Green Beanies didn't go through "proper channels".

That means that none of the usual defense contractors got their pork and payoffs from the process.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John E:
Remington has dropped it read the 2007 catalog your looking up old stuff on their site...It's history Johny!

Jake in NC:
You need to give me a address I got a great used soap box I can send you to preach off of..The 6.8 SUCKS!!!!!..I don't care if you love the cartridge so much you keep a box of shells under your pillow every night.I almost went to sleep reading your post like the others allot gets typed but it doesn't say much..Forbid that someone would not have the same opinion as the great "Jake in NC"..:eek:

Have a nice day:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
YAK YAK YAK
I have 6.8 rem pss that shoots great. I have shot the sierra 115 ,sierra 110, and the v-max110. Guess what? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they all shoot great, 1in groups @ 300yds. Your right a dog. But wait theres more shot a whitetail doe on last day, about 70yds shoulder shot, instant kill. A dog. Will be useing it this weekend for coyotes, hay wait there is a dog. If it does not fill a nitch in your gun safe dont buy one. As for me i think it is a great round, light recoil, excelent accuracy good killing power and cheap to shoot. As for it being discontinued i have bought 1k brass and i have dies, my sako 222mag is in the same boat. OK thats my 2cents, Ollie

·
Registered
299 Posts
Awww... Calm down, Landon..

Jake in NC:
You need to give me a address I got a great used soap box I can send you to preach off of..The 6.8 SUCKS!!!!!..

.. No hurry on the "used" soap box, just lemme know when you're finished with it.. :D d:^) Jake

·
Registered
726 Posts
Finally, my 6.8 mm is no longer topless!!

Thanks goodness my new AR-15 is no longer topless! Don't you just hate a gun with nothing on top?? Now I get to take it to the range this weekend, and find out exactly how well it can shoot.

I ended up going with a nice little Weaver 32mm 3-9x AO scope. Great eye relief, and very compact. Seems to go well with the gun. And it has an adjustable objective too!

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
785 Posts
Good post Jake!

I guess I'm one of those guys that own one of those useless 6.8's. Frankly I enjoy it, I've got the Rem 700 version. I should have realized it had to have a purpose to buy it :p . While I'm at it I might as well dump all my other "without a purpose" fun guns like the 17 Squirrel, 17&22ccm, 6x47, 6HLS, all those stupid AI's, 22-30/30, 263 Sabre, 25-284 and on, and on................

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.