Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never loaded for this caliber, but a friend wants me too, so here it is...

I got 100 rounds of brass ready to load. I went to prime them with CCI small rifle primers, and they're sticking out of the primer pocket maybe .004" to .005". Surely this can't be right? I know in every circumstance to my knowledge, the primers should be about .001" to .003" less than flush with the case heads.

Should I be using small pistol primers in these? I've searched my manuals, but to no avail. I'll be loading these with H-110, and I'm figuring maybe a small pistol magnum primer would be OK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:eek:

·
Registered
321 Posts
My Lyman Book says........

Remington 6 1/2 primers....small rifle primers.

Check the depth of the primer pocket just to be sure you do not have a batch of shallow pockets.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My 30 Carb load as follows.

Jerry, here is my pet load. I took it from the Hornady bible. It consists of 14.5 grs of IMR-4227 under a 90 gr Hornady HP-XTP bullet and started by a Winchester Small RIFLE primer. According to the same bible, H-110 and the 90 HP-XTP starts at a min of 11.6 grs and runs up to a MAX of 16.8 grs. Don't take my word for these loads, double check em. Mabe someone will chime in as a double check. You don't say what firearm you friend intends to shoot these loads out of, but I have both the rifle and the Ruger Blackhawk revolver. I feed these loads into the chamber of the military rifle, one at a time. My pet load is very slightly over max for the revolver, but the Blackhawk handles it well with no signs of problems. Back the 4227 off .2, (thats 2/10th of a grain) for book max. BTW, there are two seperate load sections for the 30 Carb. One for handgun and one for rifle. Good Luck! Bill..................

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
I am looking at a chart from New Jersey High Power. that provides the cup height of various primers. The small rifle primer s meaure from .1075 to .113. The most shallow is the Federal 205 M at .1075. The thickest are CCI 450's at .113.

·
Registered
960 Posts
carbine

I have loaded for the carbine for quite awhile with rifle primers, mostly cci without any seating problem. Use either Accurate 1680 or H110 or 4227. Shoot 130 grain hard cast plain base lead bullets. Any lighter and they lead the bore and gas port.

·
Registered
34 Posts
30 Carbine?

Are you using military or commercial brass? Military brass will have to have the crimp taken out before good seating of a primer is viable. Just a thought..Bob in Indiana

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.