Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Wichita Arms Pistol in 7mm international Rimmed. This is a 30-30 case necked down to 7MM with a sharper shoulder angle. Dies for this wildcat may be hard to find these days, but were originally made by RCBS.
First find once fired or new 30-30 Win. cases. Running through sizing die will result in necking down cases to 7MM and reforming the shoulder area. The rear of the shoulder will then be slightly rounded and needs to be fire formed. Load with one of the cheaper bullets and the starting load for a 7-30 waters Firing these will form the sharp 38 degree shoulder angle. After fire forming load using data for the 7-30 waters using the starting load, then work up loads.
Have taken several deer with 120gr. nosler flat nose bullets and 36gr. of Win 748. These bullets are no longer made, but
a bullet made for the 7-30 waters or the slower 7mm rifles may be used for optimal expansion on deer sized game. Heavier bullets work best for long range silhouette shooting. As this is a single shot pointed or hollow point bullets may be used

·
Registered
202 Posts
Some folks used it for silhouette shooting.
I started shooting handgun silhouette in 1980 with 10" and 14" 7TCU TC barrels. Sometime around 1983 I sent the 14" barrel to IHMSA headquarters to be rechambered to 7 International Rimmed. I never killed anything with it but knocked down a bunch of steel animals.
Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Try the Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tip. I’ve one shot killed 150+ pounds whitetail deer shy of 300 yards with a XP100 chamber Rem 7mm BR. I also one shot killed a 120 pounds whitetail spike at 150 yards with a Contender 14” brl with the Nosler 140 gr BT which was my IHMSA silhouette load. Both deer ran about 50 yards before going down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just yesterday.. I had my buddy rechamber a cut down Super 14" barrel /7tcu
It's 11.25 now... Went with the 7mm international rimmed cartridge.
Very interesting cartridge.
Looks like a long neck 7mm Herrett.
Or a long neck /shorter, straight case 7-30 waters.
Neat cartridge.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The intention of the 7R was to clean up and better the 7TCU chambers. Had a couple that were way off center of the bore and long throats, had others that shot as good as a custom. The 7-30 waters has it all over the 7R.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts