Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson has a Marlin 1895 in this caliber and we are looking for load suggestions, any help appreciated.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Hot loads have brutal recoil because of the drop in that stock. I would keep it near Springfield loads or a bit more.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I am assuming you want low recoil loads. Here are some of the accurate, soft recoiling loads with lead bullets.
300-350 gr, FP or HP, 15 grs of Unique
405 gr FP or HP, 13. grs of Unique.
no filler is needed, the powder is not position sensitive. I have shot around 50-100 of these a month for the last 5 years. I killed a doe last gun season at 70 yds, uphill, zipped thru both shoulders and the spine, DRT, left a exit hole about the size of a silver dollar. I was shooting a 350 gr HP, Lyman/Gould bullet that I cast and loaded myself. I cant see anyone needing any other load for black bear or whitetail 200yds and under. Holler back if you need me to send you some bullets.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Glad Koger piped in with some suggestions. A tolerable load but stiffer is around 30gr of AA5744, which is very coarse and is made for filling the case better. I traded off the 1895 years ago and went with a Browning 1885 high wall in 45-70 instead.

·
Administrator
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am assuming you want low recoil loads. Here are some of the accurate, soft recoiling loads with lead bullets.
300-350 gr, FP or HP, 15 grs of Unique
405 gr FP or HP, 13. grs of Unique.
no filler is needed, the powder is not position sensitive. I have shot around 50-100 of these a month for the last 5 years. I killed a doe last gun season at 70 yds, uphill, zipped thru both shoulders and the spine, DRT, left a exit hole about the size of a silver dollar. I was shooting a 350 gr HP, Lyman/Gould bullet that I cast and loaded myself. I cant see anyone needing any other load for black bear or whitetail 200yds and under. Holler back if you need me to send you some bullets.
Sam; our selection of powders is limited also we could only find 325g FTX bullets right now.

·
Administrator
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sam; Thanks for the offer but we don't really have time to work up loads and such for that rifle now before season. I didn't have powder for the cast that you named and we can't find powder of any sort from Kansas City too Springfield. Did find some 325 bullets at Midway and I have some IMR 3031 powder and that seems to be recommended highly. Will pick a middle of the road load and load some to sight in with and the load a few more to use during the season. Thank you so much for the offer.
Murl

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use 3031 with 300 grain jacketed bullets.....works well

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My grandson has a Marlin 1895 in this caliber and we are looking for load suggestions, any help appreciated.
I'm using 400gn Speers and 49gns of AR2207 which is equal to H4198/IMR 4198, W680 or Re7 and for the 350 gn Speers I'm using AR2207 and 52gns of AR2207.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts