Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out late last night for a quick hunt with a buddy. On our first set we called a nice red in in about 15 seconds with the Foxpro set on woodpecker. My buddy dumped him like his ex-girlfriend. ;)

On the way to the second spot, had one run into the woods on us as we were driving in the farm lane. Called there for about 20 min, no takers. Third set was about the same, had one run out into a ditch in the middle of a large field. This time we snuck into some cover and squeeked quietly.

A fox soon showed himself at about 150-175 yards and I missed but he didn't run far but I couldn't get back on him. Kept squeeking and another showed up on Jeremy's side and he shot. On the way to see if he hit it (missed), my first one showed himself again. I took careful aim, judged the range for 200 and fired. Unsure if I hit it, we walked out to where mine had been.

Turns out I was shooting across a ditch thru treetops, and the fox was 250-300 yrds away. The terrain really made judging distance difficult, especially at night. Didn't help I had the scope set up at 18X instead of 6 and my Optronics light was fading fast. I guess I'm a little out of practice. LOL

We got home around 1:30 AM, so I'm dragging a little this morning. Hopefully the wind will hold off and we'll do better tonight. I'm still looking for my first blood with my new 17 Rem.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Charlie, that sounds familiar. It is really tough to judge distance in the dark. In the old days, when we spotlighted critters for fur, we finally started using spotlights so powerfull you could see the entire body of a coyote at 400 yards, when looking through a scope. There were times though, when going back the next day, we'd find the critter we were shooting at was WAY out here...much farther than we thought. Sure hope you guys do good in the contest. Take some pics!!

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
too @#$% windy

Charlie, that sounds familiar. It is really tough to judge distance in the dark. In the old days, when we spotlighted critters for fur, we finally started using spotlights so powerfull you could see the entire body of a coyote at 400 yards, when looking through a scope. There were times though, when going back the next day, we'd find the critter we were shooting at was WAY out here...much farther than we thought. Sure hope you guys do good in the contest. Take some pics!!
been blowing it's arse off since about 8AM this morning. Supposed to have gusts up to 30 all night and tomorrow, then high pressure moves in Sat. night. Not gonna be good. I think I may "road hunt" some of the big farms I have and try to snipe one off. Last night didn't do anything to help my confidence level with the 17 Rem. LOL

I see a 17 Fireball in my future. Can't stand that CZ. Wood's too nice to bang up at night in the dark, safety's ass-backwards from a Rem. Just not my cup of tea! LOL

Charlie

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Good luck out there

Sounds like fun Charlie, but hope the wind dies down toward evening.

Re; the safety on the CZ rifle, I wonder why that cannot be reversed? Seems weird to thumb the safety REAR-ward to realease it, and forward to engage. Maybe a gunsmith//machinist//engineer type can shed light on that.

Reminds me of the days riding my BSA Lightning, where brake and shifter is reversed from all other bikes. Takes some adjusting, and thinking to become smooth at that.:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.