Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a Savage 110FP 1:9 twist gun. I am looking for a load with this gun that will shoot 300 plus accurate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am new to this forum, and am happy with what I see so far. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
for paper

try the 69 gr Sierra HPBT Match with Varget. Somewhere around 25 gr should be very accurate, but start lower and work up in your gun.

Welcome aboard!

Charlie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heavy enough

Is 69 big enough. I have read, but am not sure, that the heavier bullets will reach a farther distance. Is this true? Do you shoot this load at the distance I need accruately? Thanks for your help.:)

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
heavier bullets do better at longer distances

I don't personally shoot this load. I have a friend who shoots 600 meter groundhog matches, and his load was with the 69 Sierra and Varget. He won and placed in several matches with this combo. It was VERY accurate out of his Rem 700 PSS, until he sold it (I told him not to! LOL)

Snake River Marksman (from this board) bought a new Stevens 200 (Savage clone). His rifle also shoots this load extremely well. I understand this is a load that is often used in High Power competition.

Yes, heavier bullets buck the wind better due to a higher Ballistic Coefficient. Your 9 twist barrel should stabilize up to maybe 75 gr Amax's. I doubt it will stabilize the 77 grain Sierras or bigger, you would need a 7 or 8 twist for those.

For what you asked for, I don't think you could go wrong with the 69 Sierras. If it doesn't do well with Varget, KY Fisherman (also from this board) just posted on another post about using Win. 748 with these bullets. Haven't tried that one yet though.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

If you mean by 300 Plus ..... " beyond 300 Yards " .... I can't help much . I limit my 223 to under 400 yards because I walk and shoot off a Tripod , not a bench . For Pdogs I prefer the 40 gr. Polytips like the Vmax . My favorite powders are H322 and AAC 2015BR ( I understand the newer 2015 is slightly different ) . I use about 25 Grains with the 40 Gr. Bullet which is not a maximum load "for me ". Play safe , Work your way up , etc. I have never shot the 40s in a 1:9 Twist ....some report fine accuracy , some don't . Good Luck !

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hey- changes are that Savage..

will shoot 40grn V-max's as well. I had three in 1-9 twist and all of them would shoot the light bullets, very fast!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I shoot a Savage 110FP 1:9 twist gun. I am looking for a load with this gun that will shoot 300 plus accurate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am new to this forum, and am happy with what I see so far. Thanks for your help in advance.
As others have said, the 69s will do quite well way past 300 yards. However, my wife's 12BVSS Savage 9-twist chews a 3/4" Avery dot up at 200 yards with 50 V-Max moly over 26.x gn N133/Fed 205m, as do most .223s with this load. The advantage of the lighter bullets is speed - cruisin' at close to 3500+ for the 50 V-Max is just plain RUDE on PDs at 300 yards, with reliable (brutal) results out to 400+, I can tell ya!

But, for max long range performance with a 9 twist, some really like the Hornandy 75 A-max and Varget out there in the 600 yard realm.

P.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the same rifle and the 69 g bullets are iffy at best at 300 yds. Its not the weight of the bullet, but the length that needs a faster twist. You are at your limit, with this gun. I shoot a AR 1:8 twist and it will do 600 yds with a 80 g Hornady. This is ok for paper, or luckless praire dog, but I wouldn't bet on a good kill on a predator at that range. Ramshot TAC and X-Term have worked well for me in the 223.
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dogs n paper

@ 300 plus, I would be shooting targets, and PDogs. There would be no yote or fox killing at these distances. Sounds like 69 is my limit, with maybe getting lucky with a 75. I want to give the 75 a try.

There is a shoot where I am from called the dynamite shoot, and I would like to try my hand in it with this gun. I know that I would not wave a finger to some of the guys, but sure would be fun trying.

Anybody have suggestions on what bullet and powder to start with for the 1:9 at 300-600 yards?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To Jim

Jim,
Thanks for your help and advice. Have you tried a bullet bigger than the 69? Would the 75 work better for a longer distance. I just am hoping that I am not at my limit with this gun as you have said, but if you have the same gun and have attempted such loads for long distance, you would know. Let me know.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had a savage 223. I shot 75 Amax with Ramshot Tac. I could hit 4.5" clays with a 1000 yds, at Hawks Ridge range in factory class, and would shoot sub 10" groups.

Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Every rifle is different, some 1-9 will shoot a 69 gr bullet fine, others won't, the only way to find out is to try them. Trying different loads and different bullets both medium 50-55 and heavier to find out what your rifle likes, remember you need to try different powders and charge weights with each bullet also.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I use Varget in one of my .223s, and it's dandy, but other powders will work well, also. 748, as mentioned, is a good one, so is H-4895, H-335, and some others, perhaps Ramshot TAC. All are the appropriate burning rate range, one of them should do the trick in your particular rifle. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts