Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used a cheap nylon strap for carrying my rifles for way too long. I need a good sling. Something that will allow me to comfortably carry my rifle a long long ways. It needs to stay on my shoulder even over the strap of a back pack. Has anybody got something like that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
neoprene

I really like the neoprene stretchy slings. They give a little when you step so it doenst kill your shoulder. Also they usually have little rubber bumps to grab your clothes. I think butler creek makes one chek it out

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have purchased a rubber sling from Crooked Horn Outfitters. It is a sling that I know you would like. It doesn't slide off you shoulder and you can do a lot of different things with it. I have 7 of these slings and have convinced my hunting buddies to use them as well. the phone number to order is 1-800-383-4454 hope this helps PAC

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got one of those neoprene stretchy slings that 6mm Medic was talking about. I can't see me using anything else now. It is just plain comfortable.
Butler Creek made mine.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Vero Vellini................

At the risk of being accused of carrying a purse with it like I was on another forum awhile back ( :rolleyes: ), Vero Vellini slings are very comfortable, stay in place very well, and are extremely well made.

And they're not expensive at all. Far less than any decent leather sling you'll buy today. I paid $25 for the last one I bought about a year ago.

They're an excellent sling.....and you can order several very nice accessories to complement them - and you - if you're going on "that special hunt". :eek: :D

Really.....they are an excellent sling for the money. Google will find you a couple of internet places to buy with prices and pics. I think they might even have a web site.

SRM: I want some extra points for my reason for editing per your post a couple of days ago.... :D

-BCB

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sling recommendation....

Uncle Mikes neoprene stretchy sling has been on my carry rifle and others for 3 yrs. now. Very comfortable and does not slip off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love Bianchi leather slings,especially the thumbhole style.I think I have 14 of them now.They are no longer made,but you can still find them around.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hey Larry, go Vero Vellini...

I have tried a lot of neoprenes and really like the Vero Vellinis. They are the most slip resistant and great for toting heavy barrels. I now have a couple wider than shown in the pic and really like them.
The one on my heavy barrel Tikka is 3.25" wide at the top 8 inches or so and it makes a big difference on both distributing the weight as well as keeping it more non slip.
Big hello to Lynne from me and the family

·
Registered
726 Posts
Snake River Marksman, I also must agree 100%

with Bayou City Boy's comment: "Vero Vellini slings are very comfortable, stay in place very well, and are extremely well made."

I really have nothing more to add to his words, other than this photo of the inside of my own gun safe, which should further indicate my opinion of gun slings.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
232 Posts
I went thru a good $100 trying out slings myself !! I like the looks of the neoprene slings, I tried 1 from local walmart, I think it's an Allen brand. It does not slip, but it's so stretchy the muzzle tends to hang way back at an angle, I didn't care for that.

I also carry a Boyd's sling, it's nice for a light weight 22 or such

I struck gold when I tried another sling from the local walmart, it's marked outdoor connection, it's nylon with a rough out leather on the inside. Done a quick search and here it is.. It is the best sling I have found so far... I have come to the conclusion tho LOL that slings, scopes and guns everyone likes a little something different.

http://www.outdoorconnection.com/products/slings/padded_super_sling/padded_super_sling.htm

The Super Sling 2

·
Registered
182 Posts
Best I've owned

It's called the "Claw Rifle Sling". Cabela's sells them for about $19.00. I picked mine up else where for more. It stay on my shoulder so good it makes me made when I try to get it off. I also have a rubber one I bought at the sport show in Pa. I've seen them on TV but can't remember the name. It looks like the old military sling but rubber. I know you've seen the commercials. The guy also sells a similar sling for bows & shotguns.
________
Yamaha WR450

·
Registered
270 Posts
Slings

Yes you want a neoprene sling, butler creek makes a great sling its even comfy with a 14# varmint gun hanging. I bought a vero velini, and it is the worst sling i have had, it bites into to your shoulder and chafes if you are only in a shirt, im shure its fine during winter but really isnt stretchy to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Vero Vellini

Some of the neoprene slings feel comfy at first but are too springy turning your rifle into a bouncing load. If comfort is the goal, go Vero Vellini, if the sling is used for shooting primarily, go Latigo. Everything has it's strong points. Happy Holidays. Jim

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have found that the padded leather slings, with suede on the inside, work well. They dont stretch, or slip, and they last a long time. Getting harder to find good ones. You may have to buy from England, or Australia, they still value them there. Maybe a big outfitter like Cabelas still carries them.

The ones I bought in 1982 are still going strong, and the stitching is like new.

This pic is the oldie.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Safari Ching Sling ... found it interesting.

Safari Ching Sling

Note that there is the original Ching Sling that is a three point sling...meaning you have to attach it at three points on the rifle instead of two. But the Safari Ching Sling is designed to be a normal two point.

I found the idea interesting.

DB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts