Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Looking for input on Gunsmiths...

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  SKI RIFLES 
#1 ·
I have a "heavy varmint" rifle that is "shot out". This was the first center fire rifle I ever owned. The rifle has a Win. M70 action, rifle was originally "smithed by W.T. Atkinson", the rifle wears a Fajen bench rest stock (walnut, oversize roll-over cheek-piece, etc., I know "antique"). Anyway, I am considering trying either a 6mm B.R.(1-14 twist) or a .260 Rem.(1-8 twist). Obviously, looking at two diff. applications here, but my main questions are: who would you guys reccomend to do the chambering/threading work, someone who does "good" work, and has "reasonable" lead times, and, who makes the best barrels in the calibers mentioned? I have friends who reccomend Darrell Holland and Gordy Gritters (from Iowa), I know they do awesome work, but they are so booked-up, they are behind a year or better! ( says something about their abilities!!!) Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, criticism's? P.S., the rifle was originally a .220 Swift, rebarreled to .243, was an exceptional shooter, 16 yr. old kid (me) got a little carried away on his first PD hunt. (barrel can't be hot, it isn't "cherry red" yet!!!!) Thanks, this is the best forum on the "net"!!! Russ

#2 ·
.220 Swift

Russ

I have a Winchester Heavy Varminter in .220 Swift. I use it sparingly and not on the PD fields. When the barrel goes it will be a .220 Wilson Arrow. If you don't have a .220 something in your gun collect it's not complete.

#3 ·
Oleman,.........

I appreciate your input, and I respect your knowledge/experience, but I am not looking to build "a laser". I have owned a .220 swift, owned it for years, never shot it (after I owned it). I feel that it is an awesome round, but in my experience, I feel that a .243, is a much better canine round, the only reason that I bought a swift in the first place. I have "lost" a few coyotes w/ both the .223, and the .22-250, never have I "lost" a coyote shot w/ the .243 and larger. I am looking to build either a "super accurate" PD rifle (6mm BR) or a "1000 yd. BR rifle(.260 Rem.) Thanks for commenting, Russ

#7 ·
Richard Franklin at Richards Custom Rifles did a great job on my 222, and fast too. He is in Virginia.

The others mentioned are also both excellent.

Another name is Greg Tannell, in Montana.

Or, yet another idea is to ask a few barrel makers like Lilja, or Pac-Nor, who they would recommend. They would know.

#9 · (Edited)
Hammond is not cheap...

Clarence Hammond has done some exceptional work for me, but he ain't cheap, and lead times now (preceding the upcoming spring BR matches) are likely getting out there.

Taking nothing away from Clarance, a really great smith, if you're not doing a BR competition gun you might consider sending it to Hart Rifles. They can give you a good price on a barrel they make right there, square up the action and install the barrel with whatever chamber you want.

My 6BR is perhaps THE best varmint rifle I have ever owned, but Hammond charged me $800 to get it converted from a .223 to a 6BR w/ a Hart bbl. Because I use the 6BR in informal competition, I'd say it was worth it.

However, My 220 Swift, on the other hand, was intended for varmints and not competition and it went to Hart to have the action squared up and one of their comp barrels installed. The price was $450 including shipping. OK, that was 8 years ago, but my Dasher ran close to $800 (Hammond again. $950 with custom bump die) to doll up a Rem XR action and chamber a Hart bbl last spring. That is too much $$ for a PD gun.

So, ya might give Hart a call. Again this is NOT the time of year to be considering rebarreling/chambering, but it is an option. As far as accuracy goes, my 220 Swift hovers around 3/8 MOA with 55 V-Max blts. It might not be competative in a formal BR match, but PDs waaaay past 600 yards are in trouble for about 1/2 what it would cost for a BR smith like CH to do it for ya.

Just a thought.

P.

#11 · (Edited)
Weaver or Bryant

Kevin Weaver or Mike Bryant, both are excellent, Weaver's lead time is a little quicker as he hasn't built up the client base like Bryant. Look for that to change though. Weaver also has a bigger wildcat reamer list and doesn't have a reamer charge if he has to order it. Big plus if you have specific wants in the chamber design. Big consideration in lead time is making sure you have everything the smith will need. I don't ship anyone a rifle to work on unless I have everything. That way when he starts, he finishes it. Most smiths won't even start your rifle until everything is in house.

#13 ·
You might try SKI Rifles, I've had him do several rifles and Robert does fine work.
Had him do a 308 MD wildcat that turned out to be a shooter. What I liked about Ski is he will work with you and give you what you want, not what he thinks you should have.
The advice about having the barrel in hand is very good as the big holdup was getting the barrel to Ski to work on.
Have a chamber thingie made with the reamer used, it sure makes finding the lands easy and also setting up a bump die.
Having a short section of barrel with the forward end of your chamber in hand will tell you a lot of what's going on. Wish I had one for each of my barrels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.