Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!! I acquired a Model 98 at an estate auction about 3 years ago, and it has the German Warbird and the Swastika stamped on it. The Mauser action has matching serial #'s of 4192... I've been trying to research more about this rifle, but can't find ANYTHING!! Can anyone help me out??

Thanks!!
Darby

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
On the front of the action

What exactly is stamped into that area?? Anything concerning a manufacturing location or anything? A date? :confused: WD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WD,

No there isn't.. It was originally a 25-270, which is stamped just before the Warbird and the Swastika, but instead of casting, I had the barrel turned to turn it into a true 25-06. It has a bull barrel, and the number on top of the bolt is 4192, and on the side of the action is 4192. no other numbers or letters. Whoever had it before me, had put a sporter stock on it, so not sure if that is covering anything up..

·
Registered
751 Posts
Then the mfg markings have been removed. All 98s had the name of the factory roll marked or stamped into the receiver.

So you'll never know. The numbers themselves will tell you nothing except the one on top of the front receiver ring which will reveal the date of mfg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The crappy thing is, my GF has that rifle in N. Wyoming, and I'm in Kansas working. She wouldn't know anything about finding them.. haha.. Guess I'll just have to look when I get back to Wyoming in a couple weeks!

Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts