Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a place that I can buy small rifle magnum primers, how much do I have to lower the powder charge? I am now using bench rest primers in my 20 vartarg. Thanks, Fred (gruffy1)

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
From what I recall, most small BR primers are also magnum primers. The Remington 7.5 are BR, and the CCI BR4 are very similar to CCI 450 Magnum SR in my rifles. They are made with slightly thicker cups and are more consistent. 10 or more years ago, there was an article in Handloader that said the BR primers were tested to be some lots were more consistent in manufacture and labeled as BR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I recall, most small BR primers are also magnum primers. The Remington 7.5 are BR, and the CCI BR4 are very similar to CCI 450 Magnum SR in my rifles. They are made with slightly thicker cups and are more consistent. 10 or more years ago, there was an article in Handloader that said the BR primers were tested to be some lots were more consistent in manufacture and labeled as BR.
Thanks, gruffy1, Tinman, shot P-dogs with you in CO. With Heck!!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Hey Gruffy1. I remember you and the visit at the Liar's Lounge. James Calhoon has a good article about the various primers on his website.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some years ago a member of, 6mmbr.com did an article showing the differing brisance of several brands and types of primers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts