Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in North Western Nebraska we are getting alot of dogs with the nasty mange. Allot of dogs end up with no hair on their bodies at all. Once in awhile am lucky enough to get a prime dog. Does anyone else have mange in their dogs?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mange

Here in North Western Nebraska we are getting alot of dogs with the nasty mange. Allot of dogs end up with no hair on their bodies at all. Once in awhile am lucky enough to get a prime dog. Does anyone else have mange in their dogs?
I was told by a game management people as well as others that mange is caused by overpopulation. That didn't really explain anything to me, so I looked it up.

As I understand it, a majority coyotes have a touch of mange. They can be pretty healthy, but the little black spots on the backside of the hide, I was told is a congregation of the microscopic mites. As long as the dogs are healthy, the mange will stay in check, but once a coyote's immune system is weakened through hunger (caused by a lot of competition for food), age, stress or whatever, the mange spreads like wildfire.

In Montana, my son was hunting and a mangy coyote showed up. The ranch hand said not to shoot it because he preferred that the sick coyote go back and infect the rest of the coyotes. I don't know about this part of it. I don't know that the other coyotes would accept it back for starters. There is a lot of competition for food. Second, the others probably already have it and as long as they are strong and healthy, won't be affected by it as much.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Seen it here 2 years ago

mostly just in the ones here in a pack that used to frequent the immediate neighborhood. At one point I'd shot 4 in a row that had various amounts of it on them. That winter was pretty cold and since then I haven't seen a one that I could say definately had the mange... I've shot about 20+ since then that I know for sure do (did) not have the mange.;)

If they looked mangy I didn't even touch them or get close to them after I'd shot em.WD

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
here is one...

that I called and shot last winter with my 17 MK4.

I have taken them that looked worse with NO hair at all. They look almost purple. The hair this year is better shape than the last 3-4 years. The local coyote population numbers were really low the last 3-4 years. This year numbers have increased.
This pic was taken about 5 minutes after I shot him.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Same in Cruces

shot quite a few coyotes with mange two years ago also. Spoke with an Entomologist at NMSU whom specializes in parasites and as luck would have it mites and ticks that feed on canines are host specific. They will remain dormant in the bedding areas of coyotes then attach to a host. If the host is killed they detatch as soon as blood flow stops. If you are handling the dead host and not the desired species they will not attach to you. Did you have a large number of coyotes covered with tick that year? As I recall that is the same year I killed many with ticks all over them

Pat

·
Registered
393 Posts
that I called and shot last winter with my 17 MK4.

I have taken them that looked worse with NO hair at all. They look almost purple. The hair this year is better shape than the last 3-4 years. The local coyote population numbers were really low the last 3-4 years. This year numbers have increased.
This pic was taken about 5 minutes after I shot him.
You did him a FAVOR.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mange

Well, I have taken 17 coyotes this year and 11 of them have had the mange. I have not got to hunt as much as I have wanted this year. So, even though my total number taken is down I cannot beleive the mange I have seen. I shot one last weekend and she only had a few tuffs of fur on her. She was old, teeth worn down to the gum, but she had a full belly. I dont' know about how the coyotes with the mange in your area smell but the ones here stink, almost make you gag. I have not seen as many coyotes this year as I have in the past few years. Ghost

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I notice that here the mangy ones tend to be in the same region (within a couple sq. miles) every year or so. Other areas I hunt regulary, I have never seen one with the mange.

Population density studies do show a direct link to it, but there are other factors. For instance, in some terrain, where food and shelter from hard storms is scarce, coyotes will regularly bed closer together, band in bigger numbers to increase their odds of survival, and therefore virtually insuring the spread of the microscopic mites to others, as well as the pups.

One of natures ways of keeping their numbers in check, and the less healthy will die off, and in turn insuring the breeds survival.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mangey Coyote

This is the only coyote I've shot that obviously had mange, whereas it seems fairly common to see red foxes with it. The tail on this coyote was almost gone and mange was spreading to the hind legs. It also had sort of a light red powdery substance in the fur on its whole body. It was a young male, probably 1 1/2 years old and otherwise in decent shape. I called and shot it in an area in east central Maine near where a local farmer butchers meat for people and has a large pile of hides and offal way off behind the barn. There was an abundance of coyote tracks in the area, but this one was the only one that responded to a call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.