Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt is my partner at work we are both interns. He had never really shot much and never coyote hunted. So yesterday we headed to the range were he shot the .221 Fireball, 6BR, AR-15 and my 1911. We spent a few hours at the range and had a blast then went calling. First stand is at a tank in some real nice hilly terrain. Not even 3 minutes in a nice small dog is coming in then suddenly bolts at about 100 yards out. Seemed really odd then the reason showed up two big males appear about 70 yards on the other side. Then Matt said can I shoot I whispered yes and he drops a big male on the other side, I was not watching were he was aiming, the two others plus a fourth bolt. I took a decent running shot but did not connect. The next stand at 5 minutes in a really nice gray female is running straight at us, I give her a whistle and she hits the brakes, boom and the 6 BR stops her right there. Next stand the same exact thing happens but it is Matt's turn, he gets a nice steady hold and the shot goes high. We all know that is the coyote that got him hooked on calling, he was reliving the shot the rest of the day. The last stand we have a nice big dog come in but he is hung up at about 250. I get a nice rest and you can hear the familiar whoop of a gut shot. Matt tells me he went down but we never did find that coyote, looked until dark. Man I wish every hunt could have been like that. Needless to say we have a new varmint hunter amongst our ranks.

Matt's first coyote

one I got

·
Registered
877 Posts
One picture is worth a thousand words

Can't say much more than Congratulations. The look on his face says it all. I remember the first coyote that my son shot. I saw him hit it. The only time ever that I come close to buck fever. If another coyote came in, I am sure I couldn't have shot it, I was shaking that much. That never happened to me when I shot my first coyote. Darrel

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thats a smile and a half!

Congrats on a great day. Ill bet Matt's mapping out the next calling trip right now

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Getting that first one to Come IN, and then dropping it in his tracks is better than wild SEX....well....a close second anyway. Congrats guys. JR

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
From the small size and the brush, I'd guess Texas. Where abouts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts