Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 9 of the last 10 years working in Europe, covid has put a real damper on how I view life here, so for now I think it is time for me to return to the USA. This week I start the job interview process for a position with a US company with senior management in Europe so lots of morning conference calls. The hiring manager is a former colleague and his bosses boss is my former boss, so almost its like getting the team back together.

It would be a full time remote based position so I can work from where ever I want in USA. I have been weighing where to live when I get the job (positive mind set) and Maine has come top on the list because of a couple of reasons. With a primary reason to start, I have never lived in that part of the USA and thought to give it a 6 month trial.

Maine for an east coast state seems pretty hunter / fishing friendly, good climate (I love winter), my niece lives in NYC so she would like her uncle in the neighborhood as would her mother, my friends from Europe can easily and cheaply visit and no 3 and 4 am conference calls, 6 am is much more tolerable and the hiring manager lives in Florida. And when friends do visit there is a lot history in the area and Boston is a cool city to visit, live no, but cool to visit.

Also, being remoted based, in theory I could fly to London and work from there while my doctor friend does her thing at the hospital then we can spend occasional weekends together.

If I don’t like Maine / East Coast I head back to Montana, I prefer it to Idaho, even though Idaho is where I was born and raise. Montana has a less tell me what i can and can’t do from a social context than Idaho, especially Eastern Idaho. (Local influences you don’t have in Montana)

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
I have never lived in that area, but have spent a little time in upstate Massachusetts in the summer and loved it there. The Kittery trading post is a very cool place to visit. I live near Springfield MO and am sure that the Trading Post is the idea behind it Bass Pro shop.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Maine is an interesting state. You might also put New Hampshire on your list. Southern Maine has a huge tourist industry for the summer months and most of Boston goes there every weekend. Keep that in mind. Upstate Maine is beautiful but economically depressed but since you have a job you're not really looking for work there. Don't know if there is a line anywhere for determining internet infrastructure that may be important for your work. North up beyond Bangor get pretty rural pretty fast. Coastal Maine is a warm weather destination for tons of folks while inland doesn't have quite the draw for vacationers. Yes, outdoor folks will go rafting and hiking and all that jazz but the big draw is the coast. It is pretty gun friendly from what I have learned over the years and the fishing has lots of options, both fresh and salt water. You better like winter if you plan to stay for that part of the year, not sure you'll get real deep bitter cold except up in the far northern part of the state but you will be getting a lot of exercise shoveling the snow; a good Nor'easter will dump 2' in no time.In a tough year, you'll see a fair number of storms with lots of wintery precipitation including ice storms. My Dad's side of the family is from Maine and I've been back and forth quite a bit.
New Hampshire it a good state for sportsmen as well but I'm not as familiar with it as I am Maine.

·
Administrator
3,334 Posts
We have spent a lot of time in Maine over the past 30+ years, we have a place between Freeport and Brunswick. It is beautiful country and the climate is good unless you go above Bangor. The winters can be bad up there. It is a gun friendly state as far as I know.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I know Maine can get a lot of Bostonians on the weekend, Idaho gets the same thing from as locals say, Utards. I don't mind the snow at all, and NE offers several possibilities to ski. As I mentioned I grew up in Idaho and lived throughout the west, and went to grad school in Butte, MT for two years, so cold I am use to and honestly, cold is better than heat and humidity. Thanks for the Bangor, I will give it a look and yes, I would not be dependent on the local economy to live, if all goes as hoped. Though I haven't yet secured the job, the hiring manager and I did have had a long talk and he would like me on his team. Also, I will check out northernish NH. Sorry, WV is too far inland for now, without much of a selection of ski resorts.

Also, I look at this way if I need a break from the Maine winter, pack a suitcase, laptop, needed paperwork, drive to Boston, hop on a plane and get some sun in say Florida. Plus visit the boss who is based there, so maybe I get work to pay for it. ;)

It would be nice to be back to hit the summer fishing and pesting seasons. :D

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
You might want to pose your question on Benchrest Central dot com. Guys like Pete Wass and Greg Palman, both from Maine, and others may be able to give you a better prospectus on the climate there more than just weather climate, I mean.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Sounds like a decent monetary play. Good job w/o having to live in a high rent city. How far "out" can you be for assured airport access? Internet access? How much social interaction fits your personality? The further out, generally speaking, the more bang for your buck - when you decide to purchase. But then, fewer prospects when you decide to sell. Smart thinking to rent for 6 mos or so.
I had planned on 6 mos on a move years back. Turned into 2 yrs. The perfect spot became available and lived there for 14 or more.
I had the above keyed a day, maybe 2 ago. Then it disappeared. Now it's baaack. ???

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got an update, as far as I can tell because now I have two interviews, I am in the second round of interviews for the position. I decided it makes sense to start off in Idaho in my hometown around family. Then after I am settled move to New England. Yeah, I know many of you think I am nuts, but logistically and job wise (meeting wise) it makes more sense to me to do so.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Why would we think you're nutz? There are more than a factor two that would go into your decision. Being around family is a big draw in most instances.....;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would we think you're nutz? There are more than a factor two that would go into your decision. Being around family is a big draw in most instances.....;)
Yup, and well, I want to experience a new region of the USA. I have visited the NE region a couple of times, and its a place I have always felt comfortable and welcome.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got an invite yesterday for a second interview about 2 hours after the first interview. So I am one step closer to returning to the USA.

·
Registered
251 Posts
After 9 of the last 10 years working in Europe, covid has put a real damper on how I view life here, so for now I think it is time for me to return to the USA. This week I start the job interview process for a position with a US company with senior management in Europe so lots of morning conference calls. The hiring manager is a former colleague and his bosses boss is my former boss, so almost its like getting the team back together.

It would be a full time remote based position so I can work from where ever I want in USA. I have been weighing where to live when I get the job (positive mind set) and Maine has come top on the list because of a couple of reasons. With a primary reason to start, I have never lived in that part of the USA and thought to give it a 6 month trial.

Maine for an east coast state seems pretty hunter / fishing friendly, good climate (I love winter), my niece lives in NYC so she would like her uncle in the neighborhood as would her mother, my friends from Europe can easily and cheaply visit and no 3 and 4 am conference calls, 6 am is much more tolerable and the hiring manager lives in Florida. And when friends do visit there is a lot history in the area and Boston is a cool city to visit, live no, but cool to visit.

Also, being remoted based, in theory I could fly to London and work from there while my doctor friend does her thing at the hospital then we can spend occasional weekends together.

If I don’t like Maine / East Coast I head back to Montana, I prefer it to Idaho, even though Idaho is where I was born and raise. Montana has a less tell me what i can and can’t do from a social context than Idaho, especially Eastern Idaho. (Local influences you don’t have in Montana)
There is a lot of "rural" Maine NOT associated with that tourist coast. It just depends on what your interests are. If you like, lobsters, salt water fishing, and the general coastal scene, the Maine coast is for you....if you can get used to those extreme tide changes. Hunting and fresh water fishing is found inland. Forestry and small farms are found inland. Can't tell you about that snow, I haven't been there except milder weather. You probably can't go wrong, but I might consider, Vermont, New Hampshire too. Some real rural areas in Vermont. Best luck to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Quigley I approximate the input. All goes well, my plan of attack will be get a bnb for a few weeks, recon the area and then decide where to settle. One state off the list is Mass for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Quigley I approximate the input. All goes well, my plan of attack will be get a bnb for a few weeks, recon the area and then decide where to settle. One state off the list is Mass for sure.
Take Vermont off too. They are getting real stupid there. If you spend any time on American Thinker you will understand.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Heck, I live in NE and the only 2 I'd seriously consider would be Maine and New Hampshire. Vermont would be the last desperate option; CT, RI and MA are not a place to voluntarily move in to.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heck, I live in NE and the only 2 I'd seriously consider would be Maine and New Hampshire. Vermont would be the last desperate option; CT, RI and MA are not a place to voluntarily move in to.
I agree with all you say and Maine and NH are on the primary radar. For a location I do want to be around a medium sized town to meet some locals and build a social life, considering anyone I already that region is 3-5 hours away have a community to join helps. Then a reliable internet connection, then I am set. Oh yeah and a vehicle, but that whole different topic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts