Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I decided that I needed this rifle. After all it had been setting in the gun shop for ten years hoping to get adopted.
I think I have narrowed it down to a 96/11 Swiss military. It was then "sporterized" by Great Western or another company that converted them in the late 1950's. Then Bubba got his hands on it and this is what's left.
It is still in it's original chambering of 7.5 Swiss; most were converted to 308. It's missing the trigger guard and plate with the magazine. The plate is going to be a challenge to find or make. As for the magazine, I may have better chances of buying a Powerball ticket.

The stock has nice french walnut grain but has been rough sanded and goobered up at the butt. It's too narrow for the recoil of this caliber. I can re-profile it to remove the goobers but the skinny butt will have to remain. I'll be looking for a good, cushy pad to put on it. The little pistol grip thingy is original, done by the Swiss when they converted the Model 96 to Model 1911 standards.
Lots of grinding marks all over the receiver to remove.
It has the four holes on the side of the receiver for a scope mount, and yes they are available. The trigger is two stage and requires a soft touch, it's light. Once I learn it, it should be OK.
I needed another winter project. Or my Christmas present to me.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
That Stock is Beautiful.
Sam Koger can probably find the missing parts. Heck, he probably has them.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Looks like a long winter project to me... Gwyn wanted me to find something to work on this winter but just never got anywhere that had anything. Heck when you don't go anywhere it's hard to shop!!!
Keep us posted on how it's coming along Ken.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Administrator
3,260 Posts
I agree with JR it is a good looking stock, refinish it with a new pad and I think it will look great.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Looks like a diamond in the rough Ken. I’ve owned 2 Swiss rifles in my life. Both had excellent bores and both were great shooters.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bubba is slowly getting a better life. The stock has been sanded to remove the grinder marks and I re-shaped the little pistol grip to remove the cross lines the Swedes put in it. It is pretty wood. I am debating a plain finish or staining with a gunstock color stain, then multiple coats of Permalin. First I have to get a butt pad fitted and purchased. After that I begin working on the receiver trying to remove all the deep grinder marks and scratches.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
A very nice gun in the making! Patience will be rewarded....

Steven

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bubba is making progress. There is a lot of work yet to be done though it's looking like it will be ready to test fire before too long. The stock is nearly finished. Some more work with stain and then the final finish. The stock is 12 inches long, too short for this hard kicking mule. I added wooden stock spacers from Gun Parts Corp and a rubber but pad I had on hand.
The most serious grinder marks have been removed from the receiver, getting them all out will take several hours of hard polishing. The barrel finish is good, it only needs a final buffing.
I have gotten the trigger fixed, the pull weight was too light, very unsafe. It's a very simple design and a spring had become worn/damaged over time. Reversing it in it's mounting hole returned everything to normal. I found a trigger guard and plate from an 1889 rifle that I modified to fit. The guard itself and the through hole need some final fitting. Then it's blueing and ordering a scope mount from SwissProducts.com
One other surprise was when I made a second check of the chamber, it's a .308 and not the 7.5 Swiss I thought it was. Not a big deal as the action is plenty strong.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bubba is all dressed up and ready to head out to the range. I still need to make a block to fill the mag well as finding a factory magazine is right near impossible. These rifles were issued with one magazine and reloaded with stripper clips. If you are missing a magazine it's basically to bad so sad.

The last big issue turned out to be loading ammo. The bolt would not close on any new or used .308 case. Turned out that the chamber was cut with a reamer that had been sharpened too many times leaving a too small chamber. The cases were binding at the shoulder and the base. I had to search through the die collection to find other caliber dies that would reduce the base and shoulder diameters.
That done I loaded up 15 rounds of ammo with a 180 cast round nose boolit over 12 grains of Herter's 106 powder and headed out yesterday. The offset scope mount turned out to be OK, shooting without a cheek weld is different. These rifles eject straight up. I held it tight for ten shots into a nice group at 50 feet. A little more work on load development and I should have a fun cast boolit shooter.
Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts