Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this new board and the ability to keep and edit threads, it seems a good idea to me to get a thread of member info for those who wish to share. I know there were some in the past on the old board. I know some of you may not want to share every bit of your personal info, but it might be a good idea to at least get the basics so people can send you a pm if they want through the boards built in system. I'll go first...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
docrem formerly ryan m
29 years old
family physician in fort worth tx
enjoy hunting and shooting of all types.
have been a member here since I went looking for info on Howa rifles back in 1999.
Married with a 1 year old son.
Shoot mostly at tac-pro near weatherford or one of several ranges in fort worth.
Here is a pic of the family

oh and ahhh...Gig Em Aggies!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll play. This will be my first post on the new board.

I'm 48, worked almost 20 years in the electrical utility field in substation maintenance. Before that, I was a firefighter for 9 years. Married 26 years with a 22 year old son and a 20 year old daughter. I live in north east Arkansas.

I shoot USPSA actively and my 22 year old son and I hunt quite a bit. I reload all my ammo (except rimfire).

I have been on the "old" board for a long time. Just signed up on this one. I read a whole lot, hardly ever post.

Here is the wife and me on vacation in the Virgin Islands a few years ago.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Shall we play this game????

Certainly....why not.

As anyone can tell from my Avatar, I be a Marine. Medically retired at 23 years of service. I'm not old, just well used.

Started hunting with my Father when I was 6 and always tried to arrange leaves to hunt with him. Stopped hunting when he became bedridden.

Married my High School sweetie while on leave from Infantry school enroute to my Primary School. Be married 36 years come this May.

Three daughters and three grandsons later I realized that I needed to pass onto my Grandson what my Father has passed on to me. Back into the woods I have gone.

In the real world, I manage a Production Screw Machine Shop. We use 1930's technology to make our money. No computers to screw things up. Was also a Deputy Town Marshall for a couple years till I got tired of the BS politics. Yes, it is the correct term for our local Police Officers.

Not too many pictures survived a storage shed fire of my early days and I would really hate to crash the board with a current one. I mean there is only so much ugly the servers can handle. So, here is a pic that my mother had stored for me.

Received a decent education while on active duty thanks to the taxpayers. Considering once I formally retired from the work force to go back and get a PHD.

I spend way too much time at Bullshooters.com, but tis better then creating havoc in the local bars. Wife wants me either working on my second book or painting. Don't ask about the first book. Was poorly published, very few copies produced and as far as I know, only 2 copies exists. Not my idea to publish. Some 'Friends' arranged it.

I travel as much as possible to either Arkansas to fish with a great bud or to Breckenridge Texas to shoot with another. Can be found in Breckenridge late each May for the Annual Bullshooters BBQ & Shoot.

Current shooting projects are the construction of a BRNO Mauser actioned 6mmRemington. Also have a Turk Mauser that will probably end up as a 25-06, altho 7x57 sure is tempting me. Plus a Rem VLS in 22-250 I need an action for to complete.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It is entirely proper for an Air Force weenie to wait respectfully until a Marine has preceded him, so...

Here's my "book jacket bio"

Rocky Raab was a Forward Air Controller in Vietnam with 300 combat missions. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for distinguished valor plus seven Air Medals. After his Vietnam tour, he served four years as a jet instructor pilot before becoming a Public Affairs officer for the Air Force space program. Retiring after 23 years of active and Reserve duty, he is a Lieutenant Colonel. He worked six years for NASA as a primary agency spokesman and launch commentator, known to worldwide media as "The Voice of NASA."

Rocky Raab began his writing career more than 20 years ago and has published more than 100 major magazine articles on numerous topics. "Baggy Zero Four" is his first book. He his currently writing a sequel and has other works in progress. Rocky and his wife of 36 years have two grown daughters and one very recent granddaughter. He resides in Ogden, Utah.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jeez, I feel kinda pedestrian coming after you guys, but I'll play.
Be 50 this uly, been shooting since about 5, and started hunting when I moved to Alaska at 17. Back to Hawaii where I grew up to get a degree, then to Washington state where I've been ever since. Avoided the military by the simple expedient of getting hit by two cars before I was 16 and still have leg problems. (I walk funny when I'm tired.)
Shot IDPA and a little IPSC for a while, now Service Rifle and F-class and 'Tacticool' matches. My partner and I came in 6th at the '05 Idaho State Sniper Championships and 8th in '06, little bragging there. We'll be at the '07 match too.
Been reloading since 1975, have a Dillon 550, 650, a MEC progressive and two single-stages set up in a dedicated reloading room.
My wife tolerates my hobby, and we are both bird hunting fools. Her and her German Wirehaired Pointers, me and my German Shorthaired Pointers.
Which is where we'll be today, gotta go.

6mmRemington

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'll give this a try.

This will seem a little mundane' by most standards but here goes.
Name is Bill Murphy.
I'm 57 years old and have worked for the same employeer for 36+ years. Carlisle Tire and Wheel Company. High school diploma is the extent of formal education. I married young and promptly divorced. I found the love of my life fives years later. We have a grown daughter that married a fine young Penn State grad and they are expecting their first "son" soon.
I spent 6 yrs in the Army Reserve from 68 to 74. Honorable discharge says Staff Sgt E-6 as a Tank Killer Crew Leader.
I 've worked in the tire industry for most of my adult life. I worked 3 yrs for the Firestone Tire Co., and 36+ years at Carlisle Tire. Some of those years were spent in supervision, but most recently, because of a company re-organization, I opted to go back to the production end of manufacturing. I operate a bead blast cabinet and am also certified to operate a Cryo Cleaning System. (Dry Ice Blasting) Can you say "noise"? WOW!
My wife understands my addiction to purchase and fire varmint type firearms. She has even bought me a rifle or two.
My favorite targets are EASTERN WOODCHUCKS, and I hunt them with passion during warm weather. My style of walk-n-pop shooting is my favorite past time. I've walked leisurely from early morning thru evening and have managed to kill 19 chucks in a day of walking.
I reload, or handload, as the case may be, to satisfied my need for minute of woodchuck accuracy.
I've made 8 trips west in the past 10 years to seek out and destroy as many PDs as possible. I was told that after shooting at PDs in the west, I would never be satisfied with woodchuck shooting again. WRONG! The groundhog is still my favorite target, bar none. I do go out for deer here in So./Cent. PA., but only if I have nothing else to do.
The wife and I enjoy traveling and try to take about 2 seperate weeks a year to different destinations. Her favorite destinationis Cancun, Mexico and fun in the surf. Mine is Montana. Oh well.
Thats about it, except that years ago when this site was in its teen years, I went by Bill in So./Cent. PA.
Happy Hunting Gang.
Bill......................

·
Registered
202 Posts
short bio

Lived most of my 61 years in North Central Indiana. Married 12 years to #2,
son 39,daughter 37 today,17 year old grandaughter,3 young grandsons.
Retired from General Motors October 1999 after 33years as a tool & die maker.
I've shot IHMSA since 1980, mostly scoped classes now. Some of my silhoutte guns:
TC 6.5 Bulberry Imp. 7X Burris for UAS & UAS half scale
XP-100 7 BR rear grip for Unlimited
TC 30 Herrett for Production
TC 7 SM for Standing
US Arms .44 Mag for Revolver
TC .22 Hornet and .270 REN for Field Pidtol
TC Bulberry Match for .22 rimfire
I've shot PD's in S.D. since 1986,really look forward to the trip every year.
Shot .223 & 22-250 for years but now have 4 Ruger falling blocks that I love to shoot. My long time favorite is a #3 in .219 wasp with Shilen barrel and Kiplinger set trigger.Another #3 is .224 BRM from EABCO.Both have #1 wood.
A #1 is a .225 Win, just traded for a #1 in .220 Swift to rebarrel to another .219 wasp. Also have 14" TC in .222 Rimmed.
I enjoy forming cases,reloading and range testing.
Dave in IN

·
Registered
123 Posts
O.K. Here's mine...

got my Bio on the members board but I'll post here too.

46 yrs old(be 47 in a couple weeks)
Born and raised in central SD.
Still live where I grew up,
4th generation rancher.
Married 15 yrs in Feb..
1 son-13 yrs old
Been hunting since I was 13 I guess,
hunt mostly coyotes,deer,pheasants and
Pd's. I live only 60 miles from Pierre so if
any of you make it to the Jamboree maybe
we can meet, would like to put some faces to the names.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just a bum these days

Name is Cliff Johnson,age 44,married with a teenage(yesterday) daughter.
Went to Vo-tec after high school for Farm operations and Mng and bought Dads dairy farm in SE MN shortly there after.Did the 24-7-365 thing till the early 90s when milking 3x day got the best of me and I got a town job welding truck bodies.Got into shootin prairie dogs with all the time off a 40hour week job offers and its ben an itch that needs scratching every since.
A parting of the ways from the last employer found me building mining truck bodies in Casper,Wy a year and half ago.Hoping to be back to work soon,as the damage from last Julys 25' fall is almost healed.
Finding Wyoming to be a varmint hunters paradise:D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tried to retire but couldn`t stay away

Ok,
I`m a 49 y/o(50 in 2 days). Grew up in San Diego catching rattlers and shooting bunnies with a bow since about 8 y/o. Dad wasn`t big on guns (WWII), but took the time to teach us to hit his cigerette butts at 50 yds with an old Savage 22 single shot.
Toured a USCG seaplane (Albatross) with the Cub Scouts when I was 8 and knew for sure what I`d do in life.:p

Joined the Coast Guard at 19 and woke up seasick on an icebreaker. Worked my butt off and went to flight school. Ended up flying those Albatross seaplanes as aircrew. Was last guy to qualify on them before they were retired.
Married High School sweetheart and this New Years eve was #28.
Flew as rescue swimmer/hoist operator/flight mech on HH52A helos,

Dropmaster and loadmaster on C-130`s, SAR crew on C-131`s (same plane my Dad helped assemble at Convair). Retired early (Rheum arthritis) out of Kodiak. Got to meet the bears on Kodiak (one at 12 feet) and have the wife save my life when I drowned in an ATV accident.:eek:

Moved back to Port Angeles Wa and raised a daughter and halfway through raising a son. Got a 2 y/o grandson and another on the way, 8 y/o son hunts with me and is deadly with the pellet gun and 17 HMR.

Went logging, boss dropped a tree on me so I could spend 3 years being rebuilt. Don`t like doing dangerous work for others, so now we buy land and develop it, buy old growth logs in AK and BC and sell hi grade softwoods, and do custom excavation and dozer work when time allows.

Buying a 58 footer and cruising the Inside Passage (British Columbia and Southeast AK) is this years goal if time allows.
Mostly hunt deer and elk for meat, not trophy. Coyotes in E Wa and the big quest is to call in a longtail and hang his hide before they hang mine.

Looking forward to meeting the big BOSS upstairs but having a blast while I`m here. Time spent sleeping and watching TV is wasted.
Hunt, Fish, Ride, Travel, Build, and Love, not necessarily in that order.:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
O.K. here is mine also

Name is David Pirtle, 39 in a couple of weeks, born and raised in Southern Indiana, but moved to Texas via invitation by Uncle Sam. Got out of the Navy in 2000, and got hired on by Federal Bureau of Prisons as a Senior Officer. Still in the reserves and will retire in Oct. Married with 2 kids, boy (7) and girl (13) Live in D/Fw area wish I had a place to hunt but just can't afford a lease. Shoot me an e-mail if you live in the area and need a hunting partner:)
Dave in TX

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Much less distinguished

I was born West Texas trailer trash in 1960. Grew up on the outskirts of El Paso catching anything that I could outrun... still do to the chagrin of my hunting buddies. I still like catching snakes and lizards and rabbits and anything else I can get my hands on. I was doing it long before the Crocodile Hunter made it popular. Started shooting at 8, hunting at 12 and have never stopped. Moved to Houston when I turned 12 and though the national forests are great for small game and deer, the varmint hunting in SE Texas is zilch. I found this place looking for experience and information on accurate rifles and that is why i stay, even if I can't go varmint hunting locally.

I do most of my deer hunting in the Hill Country or a little West or South of San Antonio. I love all forms of hunting, though waterfowling has become too much work. What was that phrase... not too old, but well worn? That's me. Lot's of old sports injuries and resultant aches and pains. I married young & had a little girl. My now East Coast Liberal, professional musician daughter is the pride of my entire life. She is the best gift I have ever received. But we divorced quick and I married the love of my life soon after. We parted ways a few years back when I got sober, got saved and wanted to live a more spiritual life and she wanted more 'stuff'. She has since found her a rich guy, so we are both happy. I have since found a woman that I knew for a quite a while. We were the couple that everyone said WHAT???? when they heard we got together. But she shares my life in every aspect. She is cute as a bug and mean as a bobcat if crossed and I love her dearly.

She loves me for who I am, not what I have. She doesn't like fast cars or guns herself, but neither does she moan and cry and scream at the way I drive and she not only puts up with the guns, she has bought me a couple. I have very few pics of me since I am always holding the camera, but here is the one I have published on line

She knows that fast cars (currently down to one) and accurate guns are my avocation and tinkering is in my blood. Selling Biodiesel is my current vocation after 25 years in the shipping business. I've caught big fish and shot big deers, I've caught rattlesnakes and swam with sharks, met the President and had the shakes. I've got a small trophy room impressive to nobody probably but filled with a lot of fond memories for me: birds, game and non-game critters. I've stayed in the same hotel as Mrs. Clinton and Fidel Castro. I've lost days and found friends. I almost lost my life and I found God. I am a scuba and sky diver, accomplished driver & shooter, a motorcyclist, love to tinker and build and fix and work with my hands for fun and love the out of doors. My most rewarding work has come with volunteerism at local mental health facilities as a facilitator - basically a non-educated group therapy leader.

I know what 40° below zero feels like and what altitude sickness feels like. I know what it feels like to get knocked out (by my brother no less) and to wake up after a traffic accident badly injured and not knowing where I was or what happened. sed. I have survived hurricanes and a one very mild earthquake and I recently came within 200 yards of being hit by a tornado so I know first hand what a tornado sounds like up close. I have traveled the world for business and spent my life savings recently fighting a crooked employer. I am stubborn and opinionated and have never lost a game of Trivial Pursuit. I am prematurely gray (hey... I don't feel nearly as old as I look!) big and loud (hard of hearing) and love little kids and animals. I am a big teddy bear at heart and played Santa this year for a neighborhood party.

I love big bore handguns (the bigger the better) and accurate rifles and I shoot WAY more rimfire than anything else, even though I just started reloading at 45 years young - another hobby I don't have time for. I am not political, but I am involved and consider myself a civil rights activist in my continual support and fighting for the 2nd amendment. I make contact with all my state and federal repesentatives and have their office phone numbers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Duffy McClelland

Born and raised here in Lake Odessa, Mi. 33 years old. Married 10 years-2 kids (8 and 5 years old). Been selling real estate since I graduated from high school and own a small brokerage with my dad. I love to shoot, hunt and reload about anything. Other hobbies are my kids, farming, small building projects, and I enjoy riding my Harley.

Been a member here at GGVG for a long time

·
Registered
304 Posts
are you sure ????........

you want to put personal info on the internet........
where anyone with any agenda can find it and read it .......

Do as you wish........
R

·
Registered
460 Posts
StevenD

My name is Steve Haynes.

Grew up in Telluride, CO and graduated from the High School in 1974.
I've been shooting since I was 5. Got my first deer at 13. Started reloading when I was 16 and made nearly every mistake known to mankind. But still alive with all of my digits. Nasty knee accident in college earned me the name of "Wounded Knee" due to a 30-30 that was discharged by a hunting partner.

Got married to Denise and then got a job both just before graduation from college.

B.S. Degree in civil engineering from Colorado State University in 1978.

Recruited by Boeing (1 year) and moved to Washington State where I spent 17 years, working for engineering firms on projects from the Pribiloff Islands, to Kodiak Island, Thule, Greenland and even one in the Virgin Islands.

I have 3 boys, all born in Washington State. The oldest is the hunting manager at Sportsman's Warehouse with a business degree from CU Denver. The second is in the Air Force. The youngest is a handful, attending Rifle High School where he plays a lot of baseball and can still hunt and fish.

Got a ThB. degree in Seattle and moved back to Colorado close to family in 1995 where Ive been a structural engineer, designing mostly bridges here.

I took gunsmithing classes from Trinidad Junior College while offered in Denver. They pulled the plug on the program there and so, I did not get the full curriculum. However, I got what I wanted and that was to be able to build rifles.

Now, I live 3 hours west of Denver where I just got a new lease on life by getting my knee replaced (finally after 34 years), I work mostly out of my house, still designing bridges for projects, oddly enough, mostly in Texas.

Here I hunt as much as I can, drift and flyfish the rivers when it suits me and am trying to setup my shop again to continue to build guns.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I really hate to be a pain.....

you want to put personal info on the internet........
where anyone with any agenda can find it and read it .......
But can you define "Agenda"

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
agendaPronunciation: &-'jen-d&
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, neuter plural of agendum, gerundive of agere
1 : a list or outline of things to be considered or done <agendas of faculty meetings>
2 : an underlying often ideological plan or program <a political agenda>

hidden agenda
: an ulterior motive

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey Markbo.......

agendaPronunciation: &-'jen-d&
Etymology: Latin, neuter plural of agendum, gerundive of agere
1 : a list or outline of things to be considered or done <agendas of faculty meetings>
2 : an underlying often ideological plan or program <a political agenda>

hidden agenda
: an ulterior motive
Thanks for the dictionary....... but in the words of Robert Plant; "words often have two meanings...."

Was just wanting to know what ILMO's meaning was. Helps to understand another's concerns when you understand their concerns.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.