Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that don't know what they are, they square the bullet tip (meplat) on HP bullets. Long range shooters use them to tighten up their groups.

Has anybody tried one? From what I've read, it's always written that the effects are noticeable way out there. In the case of the 308 shooters, at 500+ yds. I figured that for 50 bucks from Sinclair, what the heck.

I shot these groups a few days ago. The trimmed bullets did significantly better at 100 and 200 yds. I'm thinking that 200 yds is a long way for a 52 grain bullet shot from a 222. I fired 200 shots. In each case, the trimmed ones grouped better. 100 yd photos below.

Has anyone tried this as well? What did you think?

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Steve, This is still a family type forum and there are some young shooters that will pick up the lingo soon enough. You might want to tone the Bronson display a bit.
No flame intended, just a thought

T.D.C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You're a little late. But the Bronson thing was another board's link blocker. First time I'd seen it. Nice of them to let people know what to expect.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You're a little late. But the Bronson thing was another board's link blocker. First time I'd seen it. Nice of them to let people know what to expect.
Go edit your post here and remove the link to the original image you wanted to show. That is a benefit of the new board software, you ean EDIT your posts!!!

LOWER RIGHT HAND SECTION OF YOUR POSTS IS THE "EDIT" BUTTON. I JUST DID IT TO THIS POST.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And what would you have me edit, Hitman? It's too late. There's nothing there to edit. Relax and carry on.

So, back to the original post. Has anyone tried a meplat trimmer?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
TAKE OUT THE LINK DO THE PICTURE AT:

http://www.canadiangunslingers.com/forums/imagehosting/XXXXXX.

HERE IS YOUR POST W/O THE VULGARITY:

For those that don't know what they are, they square the bullet tip (meplat) on HP bullets. Long range shooters use them to tighten up their groups.

Has anybody tried one? From what I've read, it's always written that the effects are noticeable way out there. In the case of the 308 shooters, at 500+ yds. I figured that for 50 bucks from Sinclair, what the heck.

I shot these groups a few days ago. The trimmed bullets did significantly better at 100 and 200 yds. I'm thinking that 200 yds is a long way for a 52 grain bullet shot from a 222. I fired 200 shots. In each case, the trimmed ones grouped better. 100 yd photos below.

Has anyone tried this as well? What did you think?

And what would you have me edit, Hitman? It's too late. There's nothing there to edit. Relax and carry on.

So, back to the original post. Has anyone tried a meplat trimmer?
I have trimmed thousands of meplats. You want help, fix your post!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So you're saying that you don't see 2 pictures of some groups I shot? I do. That's strange.

Edited to add: I just re-pasted the pix. You still don't see 2 pix?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Thanks!!!!

Now I see 2 pics that I can live with. Thank you.

I have used Dave Tooley's meplat trimmers for a couple of years. I have 6.5mm and 30 cal. These are the same ones sold by David Tubb on ebay. I have not used any other brand but I would not recommend these or the sinclair version. Both of these versions have plastic in them which is subject to deformation at some point in the trimming process. This will yield inconsistency.

If I were to do it all over again, I would get this unit:

http://www.montourcountyrifles.com/meplat

Make sure you have 2 ports where the cutter meets the bullet tip, one on top for viewing and one on the bottom for chips to fall out. I rigged my units up to use a drill motor to spin the cutter at low speed and it works well.

HTH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts