Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine has a Tasco 6 - 24 varmint scope with a mil dot reticle. We know that each dot is 3.6 inches @ 100 yards but he is under the impression that as the power setting changes so does the value of the dot. In other words, at what power is the first dot 3.6 inches at 100 yards. Obviously I don't know but I would think it would be consistant and not change throughout the power range of the scope. Anybody got an idea?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mike,

When using a mil dot that is in the second plane, the mil dot can only be used on a specific power that is specific for that scope. For an example, our Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40, Mil Dot scope is set at 12x, which means on 12x power it is 3.6" at 100 yards between the dots. If that power changes, so does that distance. If you look at the subtensions of the scope, it is 9.5" at 100 yards on 4.5x and 3.08" on 14x. Now if the reticle is in the first plane, the you are correct, there will be no difference between powers because the reticle will increase as the power increases.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I have the same scope sitting in storage now, but I recall that one of the powers is a different color. I suspect that is the one that is to be used with the mil dot for a correct guesstinmation.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
With Tasco mil-dots,

To have the markings be true to size on Tascos, one has to look thru them at the highest setting on that scope. I had a 3-10 mil-dot. In the instructions it said that all their scopes with mil-dots were set-up that way...

Steven

1 - 6 of 6 Posts