Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is with 85 octane gas? Back here in the east 87 is as low as it gets. Does it have alc. in it or something or what? Do your cars / trucks run okay on it? Anyway, just wondering about it. Thanks,

·
Registered
321 Posts
To the best of my feeble memory, I have never seen 85 octane pusholine. The wife's 4 banger runs on 87... the lowest octane in the pumps.

hhhmmm.... would it be rude to ask where you heard of this?:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Phil, I did a search for '85 octane' on Google. It seems that at higher altitudes, 85 octane burns like 87 octane. They had quite a bit of info but I didn't read too much after I saw the word 'altitude'. I'm at the 3 foot mark here!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Most gasoline "regular grade" in Wyoming is 85 octane, you dont need higher grades at higher altitudes. In Wyoming, 5000 feet is considered by some to be the flatlands!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Year ago

When I worked on a pipeline. The break out went like this.

Premium 96 Octane and up
Regular 92 to 95 Octane.
Sub Octane Regular 91 and under.

This was when Premium was about 48 cents a gallon.

You're getting a lot less and paying a lot more now.
Our government :eek: continues to let the oil companys merge.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mortis, Not at all. My youngest daughter and her hubby

just moved to the Denver area and she was telling about it. I thought it rather odd also, but wasn't sure what it was all about.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not to highjack the thread, but does anyone here remember the old Sunoco gas pumps where one could dial in the octane of choice from a single nozzel and it went all the way to 260 octane?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Phil...........

at 840 feet above sea level seems to be a good reason I don't remember seeing 85 octane. And thanks to all the mountain men out there for such information.:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not to highjack the thread, but does anyone here remember the old Sunoco gas pumps where one could dial in the octane of choice from a single nozzel and it went all the way to 260 octane?
Sure do. In high school and had bought a brand new 68 Hemi Charger (wish I would have held on to that car). The dual quads would gulp Sunoco 260 at the rate of about 3-6 miles per gallon when you put your foot in it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Phil, Bill here.

On my various trips out west in my low altitude vehicles, I could never tell the difference. My wifes car, a Dodge Intrepid, was loaded to the hilt with 10 days worth of shooting supplies and vacation luggage. It ran and used fuel as well as it ever has. The Ram that I drive ran the same as it does here in the east. A friends F150 did a good job as well. Naturally it didn't run as well as my Ram, nor get as good a gas mileage, but thats to be expected. (Ops, shouldn't have said that) Heh, heh, heh! I'm told that in the higher elevations of the foot hills and the western mountains where the air is thinner, one doesn't need the same amount of octain to gain the same results as WE do here in the east. A high peak here in so./cent PA is 2,500 ft. That same elevation is a bump in the terrain out west. When you go for a visit, try the 85. Doubt you will need anything any higher. Have a nice trip! Bill.......................

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wife and I have spent about a month each year for the last two

out west. Seeing the sights and popping PD's. And overall just having a grand time.

We just never paid any attention to gas because we were always in "Old Shake, Rattle, & Humm"

All we cared about or watched was the price of Diesel. HA HA HA!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Gas Comments

10MM , I used a few cars that required Sunoco 260 . It's been a few years since I even looked at the Sunoco Pump . 260 was the designation , not the Octane Rating . The Octane Rating was somewhere around 105 . You could also Dial in the Concentrate in those days , and I think it was 108 Octane . I don't even know if Octane is rated the same way anymore . I know that car Horsepower has been changed some years back . It is interesting that if you intermix two equal amounts of two different Grades , you don't get a midway Octane Rating . For example if you mix 90 and 96 , you don't get 93 , but somthing above 93 . There is an Intermix Formula I used in the good old days when I had high compression engines . About 15 or 20 years ago , a friend and I took his 3/4 Ton 454 Chevy Camper out West . We tried gasahol and got about 1-2 mpg less ....somewhere about 12 mpg . I stopped somewhere to get gas and was looking at the Shell high test pump to make sure it did'nt have alcohol in it . Guy on the other side asked what I was doing , and I told him . He said , " even though it did'nt say Gasohol " it had Alcohol in it " . I asked him how he knew . He pulled out his badge which read : Shell research Division . He said " how do you think we're getting the high test out here ? ".:confused:

·
Registered
571 Posts
High Altitude = Thin air

At the higher altitudes the air is so thin, that the engine can't suck enough of it in to generate enough pressure (on the compression stroke) to need the higher octane. A lot of people seem to think the octane rating indicates how much energy is in the fuel. It does not. The octane rating is an indication of how well a fuel resists knocking.

Way back in the early days of refining fuel for internal combustion engines it was observed that the hydrocarbon mix called gasoline became less prone to knocking as the percentage of octane (C8H18) increased. For a long time, the octane rating was just that - the percentage of octane in the gasoline. Eventually it was discovered that chemical additives (like tetraethyl lead) would also increase knock resistance. After this, the octane rating no longer had any relationship to the percentage of octane in the fuel. Through the use of additives, the octane scale has been extended beyond 100.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
We use 85 & 87 Octane out here but I can tell you for sure & Certain: If you store gas, like we do on the farm, the damned stuff breaks down and deteriorates in about 3 months. By 6 months, it smells like varnish and your engines run rough or don't want to start at all. You have to use all sorts of addative to prolong the wallop the gas is supposed to have. God forbid, you use 2 year old gas that you have in a gallon can in the shed for your lawnmower!! It smells like varnish! You can go buy a new engine!! The gas companies are making pure crap any more! I have a "New in '92" Dodge pickup that has 46,000 miles on it. I used to be able to pull a certain hill in overdrive and on Cruise control and only lose about 3 mph to the top. Now I lose 12 mph and I know my rig hasn't changed that much! Godsdog.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I lived in El Paso (average elevation about 3800 ft I would guess), unleaded regular was 86 octane.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Cheyenne Elev = 6150, 85 octane is all we see.

You hear all this talk about E-85 fuel made from Corn. Well tried it in my 06 Flex-Fuel Impala. Manual says you will loose approx 100 miles of travel per Tank, do to less Thermal Energy ,as I recall. Tried it a few times wnem it was $1.85 per gal. Not impressed and later car started running like CRAP. Then as gas prices started to increase the E-85 tracked along behind ,bout .15¢ less. Now that Reg Gas is 1.94 here, E-85 is stuck at $1.99. Go Figure that one out, I plan to never use it again. The Reg 85 stuff runs fine in 06 Impala & 98 chevy PU. I get 26/28 around town & 31+ on Hiway fm the 06 Impala. My 2¢. Russ.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Kinda new to 85

The old truck has used a lot of 85 octane through the years and dont seam to mind but the 99 Reagal wants at least 87 even here @ 5100'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.