Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is they're anyone out there doing prep(remove crimp- size- and trim) on Military 223 brass that you supply? I heard RVO was doing it then wasn't, then was, then wasn't?????? Got about 1800pcs and no desire to get out the swaging tool and start messing with it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
For 1,800 rounds I might even get back into working up mil brass. I think I`ve got 1,200 or so in loaded ammo that I may shot and do. It`s not really a big deal to swedga primer pockets, and it move pretty fast after you once get started. The main thing is to make sure you have your dies set correctly befor you do a bunch and then have to do them again. My advice would be that if you don`t want to do the work yourself, to sell what you have or trade it in on some that is all ready done. There are alot of places you can get .223 brass pretty cheap so you might even just buy more and put this back for now and make up your mind what to do with it later. :confused:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mil Brass

I was in the same boat with 1K LC brass. May be messy but it works.
Set up your press to F/L resize.
Coat your hands with a little STP and grab some cases.
Rub the STP on the cases and run them through the F/L die.
Clean up the STP from the press handle and where ever you managed to get it.
My RCBS swager did a poor job on the crimp but my Pard has a Dillon and that is what I used.
Don't get careless because the Dillon will put in another primer pocket if you get it off center.
Now your brass is sized and the crimp is removed.
Remove the STP by washing or tumbling and chamfer the mouths.
Load up your favorite load and go shoot.
You don't have to use STP but it was handy and worked fine.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...

The only part of this process I'm not crazy about is the primer pocket. I've got the RCBS swager and it's marginal. Tell me what's the difference in the Dillon and the RCBS other than price. Does Hornady make a swager, there's got to be a better mousetrap than the RCBS unit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
RVO is Still in Operation: 2,000 Minimum.

If your not in a hurry , try RVO. Use the USPS $7.50 any weight box to ship. May take couple months, but eliminates all the hassel. I had 4k of LC Nato cases done by them, they return looking like New Money. Your ??? bout the RCBS swager. It is used in a single stage press & is not much fun, much slower & twice the work of the Dillon [Stand alone unit]. There is alot more effort in using once fired & crimped Military brass ,however from what I have seen it is Tuff Stuff, & lasts along time. My 2¢. Russ.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep! Winter project...

Is they're anyone out there doing prep(remove crimp- size- and trim) on Military 223 brass that you supply? I heard RVO was doing it then wasn't, then was, then wasn't?????? Got about 1800pcs and no desire to get out the swaging tool and start messing with it.
got 1000 pcs of LC and have been working it. I have 200 pcs already primed
and ready to dump powder and load bullets.
Glad I read this, cause someone told me get RCBS swaging tool.
I questioned it and glad I did. I have heard everything good about the Dillon
swaging tool, however I have been deburring the primer pockets and the only thing
that is questionable is consistantcy (sp) I wil use 748 and 55gr. Ball powder meters well and I think thats what the Mil. uses
Jack

·
Registered
446 Posts
Idea... contact Brassman Brass, sponsor here on Varmint-A-Go-Go board, and trade him your military for some good once-fired factory commercial. Just a thought. The military stuff is so inconsistent it's hardly worth fooling with if you're accuracy minded. Reloading components are just too expensive now. I've been that route years ago and won't do again. IF, you trade or buy commercial 'once-fired' brass, be certain to ask if the cases were fired in a closed bolt or from an open bolt (i.e., full auto machine gun). When fired from an open bolt case heads just above the web usually swell and most offen require full length sizing with a "Small Base Die" in order to chamber well, especially in match chambers. Like I said, just a thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.