Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been around on the board lately, new woman :D, and a few other time consuming things. I had my son yesterday and he was begging me to take him coyote hunting :D . He is 3 1/2. So we packed up and went. on the second set up after about 7 minutes I have a dog pop up 50-60 yds in front of my looking dead at me. As I get the rifle up and start to bring the cross hairs onto his chest. I accidentally hit (got a little anxious I guess) the trigger early with my gloved finger and missed him by about a foot or two just over his back and to the right. :( (was probably a little rushed as we were pegged) So I immediately began yelping like a hurt pup, about a minute or so later I see a different dog headedin off to my right from near where the first one was. The second on had apparently come in behind some old farm equipt and hay rings whre I couldn't see him. I got on the second dog and as he stopped to look over his shoulder I hear click :confused: . Well Dumb A$$ me had gotten in a hurry to try and get a second shot on the first dog that I had short stroked my bolt and not chambered a round. So I chambered a round as quietly as I could and then still missed him trotting off at about 75 yds :eek: :mad: . This is starting to become a reminder of a few years ago where I called in all kinds of yotes and missed a bunch more than I hit. Guess it's time for a lot of range work with all of my guns. Josh was pretty bummed and started crying becuase I missed both coyotes. I explained to him that next time we'll get 'em. Have a great day and good calling to you all. Chad

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dang! I hate when that happens!

Get 'em next time, Chad.

V.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Coyote Fever

I think I get coyote fever worse than I have ever had buck fever.

I killed one at 400+ while prone on the ground, then miss one at just 100 yds broadside off of pretty good rest.

I guess it all averages out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Wel Chad dont fret, we've all done it :D Its part of the great game of calling. You called in a pair, and that is 80% of the battle.

Good luck on life's "other distractions" :cool: and check in more often.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Don't dog yourself too bad, I've done worse.....

I went through a nostalga kick, and bought a Remington Model 25 in 25/20 pump almost brand new. Worked up a load, accurate little bugger that rifle was. FIrst hunt on yotes, call had been on for about 3 minutes when the first yote came running in like he was being chased by greyhounds at 25 yards in front of me where the call was. BANG! Shot goes right behind him, did not leade him enough. I kept pulling on that pump, trying to jack another round in! Two more yotes come raciing in front of me, 25 yards out, about 40 yards apart. I kept pulling on that pump, squeezing the heck out of the trigger. All the yotes ran off full speed just as if they were passing though to the Gold Rush!

5 minutes later, I realized that I was so excited that I had forgot that I had to pull the forearm forward to chamber the next round....DUUUUUHHHHHHHH!

Two stands later, I dump a yote on the first shot. Several stands later, I can't the darned pump thing to work for me at all....I traded the gun at the next gun show.

It's a miracle that I can hit anything at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts