Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

I just purchased a new rem 700 VSF and mounted a Zeiss conquest 4.5 - 14 on it (50 mm). Leupold base and rings.

Can anyone suggest some modifications for a bit more accuracy. Don't misunderstand, I'm perfectly happy with the weapon. I'm shooting 2 inch groups at 100 meters with hornady 55GR 22-250.

Here are some mods I've hear about:
1) Jewell trigger
2) Lapping rings (not sure what this means though I have heard badger rings are good).
3) New barrel?
4) Other suggestions of good gunsmiths in my area...

Thanks!

JP

USMC
John 3:16

·
Registered
270 Posts
Try Triple G gunsmithing in Stepenville Tx. Phone # is 254 965 6464 ask for Garland. I've had him do a couple things for me, quick turn around and fair pricing.

Good luck, Hawkeye

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think I would start by having the factory trigger tuned, bed/pillar bed the action and make sure the scope is properly mounted (level, straight, and you could lap the rings). Start there and see if you gain improvements. This should be minimal investment for the return. Then if it still needs more go to the next level, re-barrel etc.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Check the magazine box.......

Make sure that it is loose inbetween the floor plate and the action. If it is tight, then it is ruining accuracy...no doubt!

You really have a great gun, trigger job, and bedding is a must...worth every penny spent!

Good luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jon Trammel in Breckenridge Texas.

He's done work on a couple of my rifles. Pilar bedding, glass bedding the actions, tweaking the triggers, makign sure the barrel floats nicely.

And they all shoot sub-MOA.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Doesn't the Remington 700 VSF have the full length aluminum bedding block in it? If this is the case, skim bedding might be the best way to go with this stock. As was mentioned earlier, a trigger adjustment would be good also. A closer look at the scope/rings/mounts would be a good idea too. MI VHNTR

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info! I have found a grumpy old timer here in Waco who is going to rework my factory trigger down to 3lbs (I've heard there can be safety issues with going much lower.). I'm also going to have him look the gun over to see if there are any other "tweeks" it might need to get it down to sub moa.

I mentioned to him that I might want to change the barrel and he just about lost it - he said the remington factory barrels are FINE and that there was no need to switch it.

Also, I'm going to switch my rings out (Leupold) to a weaver style set up. I'll likely go with the warne tactical or perhaps badger ordinance.

BTW - Do any of you know the skinny on the badger ordinance 20MOA rail? I'm going to call them on Monday and find out more info. IE, I have 38 clicks on my scope already (elevation) to get it zeroed, will the 20MOA rail put me back to center.

Thanks for the assistance! Now I just need to learn to use my calls!

I went out on my Deacon's land this evening and just after dark heard between 3 - 5 dogs working. I didn't want to (attempt to) call them in b/c it was so dark and I don't have a red light yet... mainly I was just getting a feel for the property lines.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds like you have it under control, good luck and let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi folks,

I just purchased a new rem 700 VSF and mounted a Zeiss conquest 4.5 - 14 on it (50 mm). Leupold base and rings.

Can anyone suggest some modifications for a bit more accuracy. Don't misunderstand, I'm perfectly happy with the weapon. I'm shooting 2 inch groups at 100 meters with hornady 55GR 22-250.

Here are some mods I've hear about:
1) Jewell trigger
2) Lapping rings (not sure what this means though I have heard badger rings are good).
3) New barrel?
4) Other suggestions of good gunsmiths in my area...

Thanks!

JP

USMC
John 3:16

About the only thing I'd absolutely do right away is float the barrel. Then make sure no part of the bolt or trigger is touching the the stock, and check what Keith said about the magazine box. That gun is much more accurate than what you're seeing, so even if you only shoot factory ammunition try some different loads. About the other things:

1) Jewell trigger.....nice, very expensive, but not necessary for good accuracy. The Remington trigger can be made pretty nice and will be plenty adequate. I have some really accurate rifles with factory Rem. triggers.

2) Lapping rings......don't bother. But if you're planning to change rings, definitely get Burris Signatures. They'll fit your bases just fine. You can also get them for a Weaver style base.

3) New Barrel......No. Remington barrels are capable of very good accuracy. Go with a new barrel when this one is worn out.

4) Area gunsmiths......Hill Country Rifles is in Texas and they have a good reputation. Other than that I haven't the slightest idea.

·
Registered
233 Posts

4) Area gunsmiths......Hill Country Rifles is in Texas and they have a good reputation. Other than that I haven't the slightest idea.
I have always been curious about their Accurizing service. Do they do a good job and is it worth the money?

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
Scope alignment suggestion...

I would keep it simple and stay away from those high dollar rings for hunting rifle. The best thing you can do for your scope and wallet is to either put a set of Burris Signature rings on it or bed the scope to the rings.

Most importantly this will keep the rings from leaving dents in your scope (you will want to change it out someday) as well as removing any strain from misallignment.

The Burris signature rings have a nylon insert that protects the scope and removes the strain from the scope tube. As for the base, just make sure the rings and base go together. There are several different types (Weaver, Dove tail, dual-dovetail, etc) but there's no need to go high dollar on those either. Leupold or Burris bases are excellent performers.

If your local gun store doesn't have what you need, you can get what you need from Midway USA or Midsouth Shooters Supply or SWFA.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If Waxahachie ain't too far then you might try:

Paul Dorsey
Dorsey Rifles
6820 Springbranch
Waxahachie, TX
972-923-1051

I have seen Paul visit the GGVG before. And have heard a few folks I know use him for some work. I think he is listed over at the Benchrest.com too.

It could be an option.
DB

·
Registered
321 Posts
Question here......

Why would any self respecting Marine Staff NCO take a reduction in rank to Army Lieutenant?:D

If the men called ya Padre, then the answer lies in itself.:)

Semper Fi.

M/Sgt, USMC, Retired
1970-1993

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why would any self respecting Marine Staff NCO take a reduction in rank to Army Lieutenant?:D

If the men called ya Padre, then the answer lies in itself.:)

Semper Fi.

M/Sgt, USMC, Retired
1970-1993
Haha - That's a question I have often asked myself when I was in the Army! I served as an intel guy for a little while with 2-8 CAV before I received the call into the Lord's service. Now, once I finish seminary I'll return as a Chaplain in 09.

To all the other folks who have provided info - thanks! Any preference on a 1 piece or 2 piece weaver base? I imagine the 1 piece would provide more structural integrity?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Haha - That's a question I have often asked myself when I was in the Army! I served as an intel guy for a little while with 2-8 CAV before I received the call into the Lord's service. Now, once I finish seminary I'll return as a Chaplain in 09.

To all the other folks who have provided info - thanks! Any preference on a 1 piece or 2 piece weaver base? I imagine the 1 piece would provide more structural integrity?
I'm partial to 2 piece bases mainly cause I prefer to have the action port as open as possible. Had a rifle years ago with 1 piece base. In cold weather, wearing gloves it was a bit difficult to load with a partial obstruction.

Just my viewpoint.

Well, Padre..... You're not the first Marine who I know that has moved from the ranks to the pulpit. We had a Catholic Chaplin in MAG-36 that began his career as a Marine Truck Driver. And he never forgot how to chew a$$ like a Corporal when needed.:D (Pardon my Gyrene speak):eek:

Sometimes the stick works when the carrot is ignored.:)

Good Luck and take care.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.