Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29° here in Upstate NY this morning we have some light snow with about 2" on the ground, the high temperature today will be about 32°. We probably will be getting around another inch of white stuff with a wind of 8 to 15mph.

Fairly quiet day yesterday, the club member who went Saturday and got his RSO training come along and gave me a report. I got another new member for the gun club signed up also. Today other than cleaning the snow out I will be calling land surveyors to get prices for surveying the gun club property.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

· Registered
2,924 Posts
Happy 23rd day of 23. 32° here this morning and they say we will get a little more snow to add to the 3” we received yesterday. My primary objectives yesterday were feeding the wood stove and finishing up my wheel-weight sorting. You may remember that I picked up 1200 pounds of wheel weights last weekend. After sorting, I came up with 815 pounds of lead weights, with the rest being steel and zinc. Most of it will be turned into lead shot for trapshooting with the rest going to bullets, fishing sinkers and jig heads.
Back to work today. Make it a good one.

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Morning gang, it's 32* here and light snow falling, I don't think they are calling for any accumulation. Kate and I are headed to Charleston shortly, I have an appointment with the Oncology Dr for a treatment plan for my thyroid cancer, should be an interesting day. I didn't do much yesterday napped and watched some football. That's about all from here, have a good day. God Bless.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Mornin boys...
35 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
They said we was had a chance for snow this morning and even put school on a 2 hour delay. We didn't get nothing...yet
Guess it'll be another day at the grind.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good morning from Waseca where it's foggy and 6 degrees, high about 32. I am looking forward to range time today, I need to get the next set of targets fired.
I got a short nap yesterday and was happily cleaning a rusty rifle barrel when I was told we had to go visit Galen. Busy after that.
Turns out the rifle has a nasty rust ring about 4 inches in from the muzzle. Something was living there. I am still pondering how to remove the built up rust.
Hope everyone has a great Monday,
Ken

· Registered
538 Posts
31 here with a bit of light rain falling on to the bit of snow we got last evening. Weather guy says it's going to get colder this afternoon to turn the rain back to snow. Oh well, if you don't like the weather just wait a minute, it will change.
My new remote thermometer is not working this morning, I had to step out on the porch as usual. A read through of the entire directions shows that it needs lithium batteries in freezing temps to keep the alkaline ones from freezing and not putting out juice. Figures.........
I have a followup with the surgeon today so will pick up some on my travels. Other than that, not much on tap other than guarding the wood stove with the cats.
Hope you all have a good Monday start to the the work week.
Ken

· Registered
649 Posts
Good morning from weird weather Ohio. 30 going to 33 possible furies on top of 5 from yesterday. I did watch the Bengals play in the snow, I been alone too long when a football player sliding 10 ft. after a tackle makes me laugh. No agenda no job no money must be retired. Be safe my friends Prayers to all and country. Mike

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 41º and cloudy here headed for 49 with rain moving in tonight.

The Wife and I were lazy yesterday. I primed brass on and off all afternoon and the Wife and the cat napped.

Todays big event is taking the Wife to Memphis for an appointment at the transplant clinic. They changed Her anti-rejection meds at the request of Her heart Doctor and the new ones are causing her to be nauseated all of the time. I'm dreading this trip. I-40 through Arkansas is like a magnet for idiots.

Welcome back Mr Bruce!

JR, sorry to hear about Otis. I guess I missed that news.

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country.

Y'all have a good one.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Great morning folks,

Overcast, 31.2° and going up to 33° later here near HalfwayUSA.

That dusting of snow yesterday turned into a bit more than an inch of accumulation. That stopped about noon so I went to clear away the fluff with a shovel. After that was finished, I started in cleaning up that 10" skillet.

It took about two hours to de-crud that thing. These pics will provide the 1000 words needed. My 4" wire wheel is now 2". :eek:

Cookware and bakeware Frying pan Rim Wood Audio equipment

Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Ingredient Auto part Road surface

Wood Cookware and bakeware Metal Gas Fashion accessory

Dishware Automotive tire Grille Grey Serveware

Wood Audio equipment Frying pan Sauté pan Hardwood

Wood Kitchen utensil Cookware and bakeware Gas Tableware

I finished it up with a coating of vegetable oil and a hot cook on the gas grill. I'm satisfied with the results. This one will get a new home in the 5th wheel.

After I was done my clothes were pretty nasty. My jeans & Carhart coat got brushed off & straight to the washer.

Leg Thigh Denim Road surface Foot

A trip to Tractor Supply for critter food & a stop by a second hand store...to look for cast iron cookware. Seems Corey & Mike "need" skillets now. (y)

· Registered
5,170 Posts
morning all. 15 with 30 and possible snow flakes, and wind. Looks like it will be that way for the next few days.
After church yesterday, went to Gwyns' folks for a bit, while I did a few chores around the barn, Gwyn cleaned house.
After that I worked at cleaning a spot for our generator to set, got that done and put gas in it and tried it out for the first time. Should
work for a back up power supply when the wind howls this spring and the power goes off.
I need to fix the air compressor at the farm shop this morning, the line from the compressor to the tank broke ... again.
Also need to get a different tractor in the shop for servicing.
Have a good day and be safe. Prayers for those with health issues, those on the road and those that have lost loved ones.
Sorry to hear about Otis, loosing a pet it always hard.
GOD BLESS. Dean

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Good morning everyone....woke up feeling like I got hit by a bus.....damn sinus infection I do believe. They started getting irritated last night about midnight and was full on when I woke up. Guess that's what I get for running the roads all hours of the night chasing coyotes.
Got a few things to do this morning but might throw in the towel early and come home.

Hope everyone has a good day!

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 36 with rain and big wet snowflakes here. Lillie got her birthday wish...snow. Ground is white at her house, but won't be when she gets off school. Supposed to go to mid 40's later on and the rain/snow will be out of here before noon. I didn't do much yesterday. Cooked a big breakfast for Miss Sue and I and loaded a few 300 BO's for the new upper I got. Need to get to the range to get it sighted in and see how my sub loads work out. Sue took down Christmas decorations and put them away. I helped a bit, but couldn't do much with the steps. My knee was really giving me fits yesterday. I don't know what I did, but something isn't right. I have it taped up and it's a LOT better this morning. I'll try to stay off it today as much as possible. We went to visit the kids yesterday and had dinner at a nice Messican place. Afterwards, we went back to their house for cake and ice cream and to open presents. Got home about 9:30.

Well it's Monday Mikey. I need to get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Good Morning Everyone,
Rain last night. 68 heading to 71 . Then back to mid to upper 70's for 2-3 days than another cooling.
Post office run today last week I purchased a new Blueberry Neck Turner . Supposed to be the same as the pumpkin just a different color. We will see.
Later on I will run a couple of drills with the hound. It had been a year since I had worked with him on the whistle yesterday I decided to test him out spot on is all I can say. He is on a tight rope and not allowed to swim around the house because of the gators so yesterday evening I rode over to the dog beach a designated beach for dogs but the under tow was very strong and was suggested not to swim him .
So he got to mark everything and smell everything.
Have a great day stay warm, dry and safe.
HHH

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Morning all. Just got back home from having a CT. Got in a bit early and got out quickly. Now it is 29F and fairly still, but still felt cold to me. Have an OV and do bloodwork with my oncologist Wednesday, but we are supposed to get a bunch of snow, 5+inches. May have to reschedule Wednesday. Not much on the agenda for today, just the usual PT and lunch. Be safe and keep warm.

· Registered
7,693 Posts
Good early afternoon, GoGo. At 1316 it's 36 in Louisville, going to 39, and the sun is trying to pop through but not quite making it.

I put the first top coat on the back of the ax sheath a little bit ago and need to go buff it and evaluate. No, I won't be using an angle grinder and wire brush on this project.

Gonna check off another Monday on Charlie's retirement calendar. Thanks to him, Donnie and all others who are still paying in to SSA so the rest of us can continue getting paid.

Charlie, you mentioned loading some .300 BO. Weren't you having trouble figuring out a load that would be subsonic but still reliably work the action? Guess you got that calculated, yes?

Scott, thanks for posting all those photos of the skillet, especially the shot of how your jeans looked after that job. I immediately forwarded that photo to Miss Cindy and said, "See, I'm not the only one!" :D Teach Corey and Mike how to properly make Southern cornbread in a hot cast iron skillet and you will be hoisted even higher on their hero ladder. Do y'all have Jiffy cornbread mix up your way? Not everyone likes it because of the sugar, but I'm a solid fan of Jiffy and it's an easy tip to give beginners.

Hedgehog, you mentioned not letting your dog swim because of the undertow. Living in Kentucky, I know about such things, but have limited experience with the phenomenon. I understand general shoreline currents a little better, like when Cindy and I were on vacation to the island of Roatan and I was snorkeling. Being a landlubber, I'm fascinated by all things saltwater and sometimes get a little mesmerized by it. Cindy was on the beach and I was out snorkeling, face down for a bit. Next thing I new I glanced up and I was quickly approaching some boundary buoys that said something like "BEACH LIMIT" on them. I had to kick like hell against a current to get back to the beach. I wasn't panicked, but did get just a little spooked. Got a tongue lashing from the wife when I reached the shore and it wasn't one of the good variety.

When I went out to feed the birds this morning I spotted some daffodils with buds stuck through the mulch. I always enjoy seeing those as it gives me hope for spring. Next will be the purple crocus that have spread wild across my lawn. I've had those things bloom through a layer of snow, which is really pretty.
Flower Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Grass

Hope y'all are having a good day and being safe. My brother is home and doing fine with his new pacemaker; thank you for your prayers. Donnie's daughter, Amanda, has a work colleague in need of prayer, so please add him; his name is Presley, I believe. Prayers up, also, for our nation, where there are almost daily revelations about our president and the rest of the government. Folks, I fear for our republic. I know lots of us do, and most of us are trying to prepare in various ways, but let's not forget the power of prayer. I fear our nation is not in good favor with God at this time, but I'm hoping he might give us a heaping measure of grace and another chance to do better.

· Registered
2,242 Posts
Have blood work and CT scan tomorrow and Dr appt and chemo on Wednesday. Wifey wants go to OKC this evening as it’s supposed to snow all day Tuesday. Oh well, might as well be there as here.
Son and DIL moving cattle all day today. Son was working on water well and tank all day yesterday. Katie and Miss Josie were going to move cattle here closer to the pens at the house. They saddled up and took off. They got both pastures gathered and moved to the pens (little over 100 head total). Way to go girls. Moving them east to Chad’s place and hauling 75 open heifers here. The 100 bred heifers will be arriving around Feb 1 from N Dakota.
Always something to keep busy.
Prayers for our Country, Israel, Ukraine and all Y’all

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Ken, regarding the rust ring in the barrel of your rifle. First try a good strong solvent, like Montana Xtreme using a nylon brush using many strokes. After that, a bronze brush with a cotton patch wrapped around the brush, and apply a gob of JB polish on the patch. Many strokes again. If that is not sufficient removal, you may have to cut the barrel off after the rust ring. Make sure you still have enough barrel length left to keep it legal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts