Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20° here in Upstate NY under overcast skies, the high temperature for today will be up to about 36°. It will be a cloudy day with a 5 to 14mph wind and some gusts up to 25mph.

Yesterday I did nothing but take life easy as I should. It was a long week and I stayed home; I did some genealogy was all. Today will different but it will be a short week also.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Great morning folks,

27° with a pretty stiff breeze here near HalfwayUSA. 38° later should give us a bit of thawing.

Yesterday was spent doing estate stuff along with more important time spent with grandkids. We took a trip to Tractor Supply to buy a few weeks worth of bird food. After they help mix it up, we spread it out to the feeders including the feeders they built last summer.

I'm heading to Grayling for a 10am appointment with the funeral home & to handle other business for Jerry. Lots of phone calls to make to inform about his passing. Tonight I meet with his daughter and a grand daughter to put together his obituary.

Of note for those that might find themselves handing estate things - canceling credit cards has to be done with a specific department that handles that task and they are only open Monday through Friday.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 20, clear and 28 for the high.
Yesterday was a day of rest, sort of. Morning church with no obligations, just coffe and donuts with some really good preaching on how we are patient or impatient. I always take notes on a little computer, except the battery was stone dead when I got there. Someday I will learn to check out my equipment before hand.
Rest and some web searching in the afternoon, we always have a small gathering in the evening for prayer and such. I was ready for bed when we got home.
Today is busy, busy. Wife decided that I need to go shooting this afternoon, then get to Michele's visitation when I can. The funeral is tomorrow morning.
I need to decide what to shoot today.
Hope everyone has a great Monday,
Ken

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 20 going to 40 south winds up to 30mph. A visit from my duck hunting partner stopped in for about a two-hour visit, good times. Plenty of work in two barns to get done before the next cold front, of course it could stay like this all winter would be fine with me! :giggle: Time to get it done. Be safe my friends Prayers to all of us and country. Mike

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
Good morning folks. It's a chilly 17 here with no wind for the moment at bear camp. We slept in a little and decided to pack it in early. I got things to do, like put up mom's deer stand when I get home.

There doesn't seem to be anybody out and about pushing anything. Snow is too crunchy to sneak. Hard to walk on. No food around. We've seen 1 deer between 4 of us in 2 days. We did cut old bear tracks yesterday, so there's 1 around. Probably sleeping under a rock somewhere.

Well I need to finish my coffee and pack. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Morning all it's a chilly 19* here in the Mountain State, clear skies and a high of 49* today. Today is opening day of buck season with a rifle sure the woods will be full of hunters. I have Country Store duty today, I'm sure I'll have plenty to do there. That's about it from here, you all have a good one today.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
morning all. 0 here with low 40s today and for the rest of the week.
After church and the dinner, Gwyn and I went out into the work shop. I got the Crosman springer air rifle put back together and tested.
A couple friends from church stopped by for a visit and I gave him a reloading manual, he has a 204 ruger but not a book with loads for it.
About all that got done around here, not sure what will take place on the farm today. Bossmans' grandkids have the week off so I'm sure they will
be around bugging me about something.
Better get moving along, have a good day and be safe and stay warm. Prayers for those that have lost love ones, those with health issues and others.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Frosty good morning, GoGo. At 0709 it's 16 in Louisville, going to 49.

Well, ol' Mikey (that's me, not MPC) hunted this weekend, but didn't kill. I saw four does Saturday, but none that gave me a shot. Two of them were plenty close; they slipped in behind me and imitated squirrels in the leaves. I sat still as long as I could, then just had to know. I turned as slowly and carefully as I could, but a steel ladder stand is gonna squeak or pop, I don't care how much Crisco you soak it in. 😁 The does took off like I'd taken a shot. Sometimes if you're ready they'll run a little ways, then stop and look back, giving you a shot. But these two didn't stop until they were in cover. Later I saw two does (or doe and fawn) on a hillside about 70-80 yards away. That's plenty close for my .243, but I wasn't gonna shoot through brush, so I just watched 'em.

It started out at 14 degrees Saturday and 16 or so on Sunday. Had a 2-3mph breeze both days, but it was intermittent, so not horrible. I count on deer hunting to reset my body's thermostat for winter and this year's temps should do that just fine. When you've sat for 6-7 hours atop a ladder stand in 14 degree weather, that cuts down my excuses for why I can't go out to the garage to retrieve something from the freezer or go out and fill the bird feeders. :)

A young friend from church was having car trouble, so he rode to the woods with me yesterday. He killed a nice 9-pointer waaaaay down a drainage. Good thing he's only about 30 years old, cause he had to drag that 148-pounder about 1/4 mile by himself. Here's a photo of him, with his deer stuffed in the back of my Escape.
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

That's about all I have to report this morning. Hope y'all have a good day. Prayers up for our ailing members, and special traveling prayers for Scott and for Charlie as he returns from bear camp. Special prayers also for our folks dealing with "family issues" as the holidays approach. My younger daughter (42) who was local died in July last year and my 89-year-old mother died Dec. 17 of last year. I'm handling those losses pretty well as long as i don't let myself dwell on them too much.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 37º and clear here headed for the low 50's.

Yesterday was another day of nothing. Watched a couple of movies, read a book, napped on and off. The Wife went back to the place we recently moved from to visit our old neighbors and to check out the holiday open houses at the stores along main street. While She was gone I got out in the garage and fired up the melting pot. I have a new bullet mold that I wanted to try out. I didn't stay out very long. It was cold and I got tired pretty quickly.

Today is my last day of quarantine. Probably another day of movies and books. Today is also our 48th Anniversary!

My Son went back to camp for the weekend and sent me some game camera pictures of a Bear at one of his feeders. I have mixed feelings about this. It would be cool to see one but they can be pretty distructive. The pigs already tear up enough stuff!

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country.

Y'all have a good one!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Forty eight years and counting—— I’d say that’s a good start Lightman.
I no longer hunt but I can remember some good stories. I tell my brothers and the kids. On November 14 (that’s a good poaching day) I get my camouflage costume on and crawl through the Kroger parking lot and bag I nice prime beef rib roast. I never get skunked, cold, or wet and I don’t need to but a license, ammo, or hunting supplies. They don’t laugh at my little joke.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Good morning everyone from the shores of the Gulf Coast in Venice Florida. App isn't showing morning temp but it's long sleeve T shirt weather with a high of 79 today rain later on .
Yesterday we rode down Highway 41 aka Tamiami Trail to Ft Myers . Things looked pretty normal tarps on roofs a lot of blown debris along the road. We didn't ride over to the barrier islands of the beach area that will be on a better day.
Today's plan is what ever the Mrs wants to do. Old friends called last night wanted to know if we wanted to get together for Thanksgiving in Port New Richey we said sure. Wife will throw together something to take .
Congrats Lightman 48 years thats quite a achievement.
FB I'm like u on the hunting in cold weather. Publix is my hunting grounds. I have been known to sneak out the house and shoot pin raised birds just to work the dog .
I do get a lot of enjoyment watching a good dog hunt .
Old developer I did a lot of work for in the day sent me a nice photo of a buck he killed Saturday. It was a little 8 17" spread he said close to 200 lbs I've never seen a 200 lb deer in my area.
Everyone have a great day stay warm, dry and safe
HHH

Plant Branch Organism Trunk Fawn

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
That’s a nice rack (can I say that here?) HHH. Though not common, there have been a number of 200+ Pound deer taken here.These are practically farm raised here. In fact, they are. We’re spending Christmas near or at Boynton Beach this year. I’m hoping all the nails from the debris have been picked up along the roads there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts