Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Monday Morning 11/29/21

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  George Foster 
#1 ·
28° here in Upstate NY this morning under overcast skies, we are getting a few snow flurries out there again now. The high temperature today is only going to get up to about 31° and it will gradually clear off and be partly sunny today. It will be somewhat windy today with gusts of 20 mph.

Yesterday we got maybe one inch of snow all together and it was just a nasty day. I didn't do much of anything after church in the morning, just loafed around. I got a person coming first thing this morning, it will be a fairly busy week for me this week.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

#2 ·
Good morning from Waseca, it's 34, cloudy and clearing, high about 52.
Yesterday was a busy day, sorting dishes. I found that I have 15 boxes of fine China and decorative glass ware that needs a new home. It's all sorted now, by brand and pattern, free.
More domestic chores this morning and league shooting this afternoon.
Happy Monday everyone and enjoy this day,
Ken

#3 ·
Good morning from the mountain state, it's 27* here and not getting much warmer today, mid 30's. I got Glade duty today, it's been a long weekend, so hard to tell what fun awaits, this will be my first full week back. Hard to believe this months almost gone and Christmas is a few weeks away. I better feed my critters and get ready for work, you all have a good and safe one today.

#4 ·
Good morning from NC Ohio 23 going to 40 with a good breeze. My old hunting buddy was here yesterday, snow fence was put up some furniture was moved and several lies were told. A good visit for sure. Ken, if we were closer, I have an oak hutch sitting empty, I could help you out. First day of Ohio deer gun season today, sure wish my lungs would let me get to the woods. I will watch from the front porch. Coffee is done time to get r done. Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

#6 ·
morning all. 15 with mid 50s today and DRY!
Got some of the cattle home yesterday, a couple semi loads more for today.
I really didn't feel like doing anything yesterday, but I did watch for the cattle trucks and off load the cows when they came in.
Other than that I didn't do anything but lay around . Still don't feel to great this morning but need to get some work done today.
Gwyn made the trip across the state and back ok yesterday, so all our kids are back at their homes this morning.
Better get moving, may be a long day.
Have a good one and prayers for those in need.
GOD BLESS. Dean

#7 ·
Morning Everyone!

Its 36º and hazy here headed for the low 60's in the afternoon.

I spent an enjoyable weekend at Deer camp with my oldest Son and Grandson. Both of them shot Does and the Grandson shot a huge wild pig. My Wife started having trouble with her stomach again so I left early yesterday to get home.

I don't know what today holds yet. We'll see.................

Prayers offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need.

Y'all have a good one.

#8 ·
Great morning folks,

25° with a clear sky, I had to look it up because it just don't happen much here near HalfwayUSA. We will be enjoying a pretty sunrise shortly too.

The snow yesterday was rolling though in bands & I thought I could get Christmas lights hung in between. Got the ladder out, unrolled the light string and more snow came. I stuck with the task but it wasn't all that pleasant. After that I went in to keep the wood stove company & make sure the reloading press wasn't lonely.

A few more outdoor decorations will be put out today. More wood stove tending & reloading press operatiing are the primary tasks for the day. Deb & I do have a errand or two later this afternoon.

#9 · (Edited)
Good morning folks. It's 30 here with sun and clouds, maybe a flurry here or there. Headed to 40 or so with NW wind, going to be chilly out there in the woods. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) I'm back at work, sitting in a warm, comfy office. Going to leave early to take Lillie out about 3 though. We will most likely have her another week. We got her last Tuesday & her daddy (my SIL) got COVID Thursday. Looks like we're all in the clear here, but don't want to send her back to the house until he's in the clear. Daugher will have to work from home. Her and the baby are fine so far. Randy is fine too, just had fever, aches, etc.

Yesterday's hunting adventure was a bust. Had a spike in the field at first light. By the time I identified horns, he turned and started walking away. Never did stop until he was about 160 yards out. That's a pretty far poke for a youngin' off a ladder stand rail. I decided to hold off, hoping he'd feed back to us or come out later. He did neither. We came back in the afternoon and saw one fawn as darkness set in. Well, she's got to learn you don't always get something. You have to put time in sometimes. We did have an enjoyable weekend though. Saw lots of birds, coyotes, foxes and a few deer. Maybe today's the day???

I need to take that coyote to the taxidermist to have skinned and tanned at lunch. I weighed it on the hand held scale at the shop and had a hard time getting a reading, said 24lb there. When I picked it up today, I noticed my deer scale was hanging there so I threw it on, it said 50 lbs. I don't know which one to believe, but judging how I strained to pick it up, I'd say it was a lot more than 24 lbs. Maybe the taxi has a scale?

Mammal Organism Terrestrial animal Tail Whiskers

Well I gotta get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

#10 ·
Accu-Weather says 28 and going to 36 under clear skies and brilliant sunshine. Paul and Eric took Eric’s deer to the butcher yesterday morning. Other than that little was done here. I didn’t blow the driveway because with the high temps forecast for this week, it’ll blow itself. It was turkey sandwiches again last night and that‘s the end of that.

#11 ·
Good morning, GoGo. It's 24 in Louisville, going to 47 and sunny today.

Main thing I have going today is that an insurance lady is coming here in a bit to help me figure out which medsup or Medicare Advantage plan I want to sign up for. Will also need a prescription plan. Having worked for Humana for the past 18 years, you would think I'd be breezing through these choices and getting signed up. Nope.

Charlie, you're exactly right that it's time for Lillie to learn that she'd better enjoy the hunting for its own sake, because you don't always get to enjoy the harvest. Something tells me that just by being in the woods with her pappaw, she'll learn to love a beautiful sunrise, a gorgeous sugar maple in the fall, and just watching a doe and yearling that she doesn't plan to shoot. Changing topics, I'll be praying for quick healing from the COVID for your SIL.

Donnie, I can report that my newest Ruger is a keeper. I test fired the PC-9 carbine last Friday and it spit out about 50 rounds of FMJ without a single hiccup. Didn't try any hollowpoints, but I have a feeling it's gonna eat them just fine as well. It totally reminds me of a 10/22 on steroids, which is a good image to promote since nearly anyone who shoots anything likely has a 10/22 (or several) in the gun cabinet.

That reminds me, the PC-9 came with a magazine for the Ruger Security 9 pistol. It also came with an adapter for Glock mags, which is what I'm gonna use. If any of you have a Security 9 and you'd like another mag, just send me a PM. It may fit other Ruger 9's, I can't remember.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe today, and lift up prayers for our friends and our nation.

#12 · (Edited)
GM from the sticks of Kentucky at 27° headed to bout 49° today with bright sunshine.
Ken only has 15 boxes of "Glass Ge- Gaws" and plates. I've got 100 boxes here. If Judy Brown doesn't come back, you are all invited for a Target Shoot with "Reactive" targets.

Seems someone on here has bought one of the Heritage Rough Ryder pistols a while ago. I took a NonShooting friend to Rural King a few days ago and he bought one. I thought it was OK but didn't like the stupid safety switch.
What y'all think???? Heritage RR is Much cheaper. (Kermit..don't vote.)

I went to the Big Town and got a Little Caesar's Pizza yday cause JB would do that. Ate 3 pieces and gave the rest to Sledgehammer Rick later. Just wasnt hungry.
Today. I should Do SOMETHING but lack any ambition to do it.
IF y'all DO something, DO it safely today.

#19 ·
Seems someone on here has bought one of the Heritage Rough Ryder pistols a while ago. I took a NonShooting friend to Rural King a few days ago and he bought one. I thought it was OK but didn't like the stupid safety switch.
What y'all think???? Heritage RR is Much cheaper. (Kermit..don't vote.)
Last year our local gun shop had the Ruger Wranglers on sale for $150 so my son bought two and gave me one for Christmas. I have a friend and a nephew who each have the Heritage Rough Rider so I have shot both guns. I agree With the fellow in the video that the Ruger just “feels” like a higher quality firearm. They both fit the bill for an inexpensive plinking gun and the guys I know haven‘t had any quality issues with their rough riders. I prefer the Ruger because it seems to feel better in my hand but I wouldn’t walk away from a good deal on a Rough Rider either. …. Semi-auto, high-capacity, and rapid-fire pistols are fun, but there is just something about a revolver that I like more.

#13 ·
Good Morning from the 🌞 E side of the Chesapeake. 40° as we speak high of 47 today.
Not much planned steady packing up double checking I'm carrying all of the rifle reloading equipment with me . I had a pleasant surprise yesterday I for a extra brick of BR4 primers . Now if I could find about 8 pounds of H4895 I'd be set to go for this barrel . The rifle was shot last Friday with loading 28 grains of H4895 with plain Jane 108 Berger's and all three touched not to shabby for the first 3 shots of a new barrel with no load work . Sounds promising to me. 3 more days and we are south bound 😁. Everyone have a great day and stay safe.
JW

#14 ·
Good morning everyone...30°here at the shop as I'm doing some cleaning from the tile boot build. It got picked up Friday while we was here at the shop cutting up Tony's deer. I sat out yesterday all day except an hour waiting on something and nothing came out. It was the last day for rifle season here but ML season comes in on Saturday. I have an offer to borrow a ML but not surebif I will or not.
Our daughter is still in Nevada and having a good time....we kind of look for her to want to move out there before long.
Few little jobs to do here plus a manure pump to retro fit with a new gearbox and pump. Also another larger boot to build real soon.

Hope everyone has a good day!

#15 ·
Ken….I’m glad I don’t live closer to you. The wifey would probably be all over those dishes. I can live with paper plates and styrofoam cups. You need to take them to JR, I know JB would love them. On second thought she may have found a “good” man in Kansas.
Wifey at the lodge doing breakfast this morning. DIL made another “big” grocery run this morning. One of the hunters had to leave early as one of their offices in Corpus Cristi burnt yesterday…bummer. They have hunted 2 days and no animals harmed. One miss and all have seen mature bucks and passed on them. Oh well…so far they haven’t hurt the deer population.
Beautiful day here today, and no wind. Maybe they will pull the trigger today. I haven’t made any plans for the day yet. Probably just “hang out” to see if son needs anything. Have to go to OKC Wednesday PM for Dr appts on Thursday. I have 3….at 8 am, 12:30, and 3 pm. Wifey squeezed one in at 10:30 am. Going to be a long day….LOL
Was a pretty day yesterday….one of the neighbor ladies sent me a picture of her “bass”. It took me about 30 seconds to find the fish.

View attachment 1AC41850-088A-40E4-851A-5AFC5E937563.png

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

#16 ·
Morning all, 37 headed to 45, cold and clear today. Got to get online and straighten some of moms medicare stuff out, she had gotten on the phone, and signed up for three different part Bs which automatically un enrolls you from your current one at Jan 1. Took her shopping at Dollar Tree and Walmart, 3.5 hours, I was worn completly out when I got home. Oh well, no rest for the wicked, you all have a good one, prayers for those that need them, Buff out.

#20 ·
Pick me! Pick me!!! I volunteer to check for the other piercings. Being a detail oriented retired toolmaker, I can readily deduce that the area in question needs to be meticulously inspected to assure that it meets SAAMI stds. Repeater days are unfortunately over but still able to reasonably muster a thorough surveying of the task at hand.

#22 ·
Funny you should say that Charlie. My approval ratings haven't suffered.
Izzit time to shout: Go Brandon? :censored:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.