Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
28° here in Upstate NY this morning with the high temperature going up to about 56°. We may even have a little frost this morning. Hopefully later in the week things will improve but we seem to have a chance of showers most every day.

Yesterday I went and fixed a computer after lunch and then when I got home I took it easy for awhile. It isn't to often that I will fix computers on Saturday and Sunday but sometimes I will for good customers. I got our 501c7 for the gun club ready as I have to mail it out today.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Great morning folks,

The temperature just slipped up to 40° with a mostly cloudy sky here near Halfway USA. Rain likely as southeast winds move moisture along a trough extending into Oklahoma. Weather these next few days will be dominated by a low pressure system centered in North Dakota.

Glad the yard work & trimming got handled. The rain will soften the ground some & I can drag the big roller around & smooth things out. Mole traps got set out as those critters are out of hibernation & finding their way around. I burned off the fire pit and all the wind blown debris I gathered.

Errands to run today. The house needs groceries for sure. Brass sorting will be accomplished today too.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Good Morning

Morning George and others to follow. 41 here in NC Ohio and you guessed it RAIN!! All week long , nothing but rain! On days like this , its so good to have a heated barn and greenhouse to escape too. Only thing is I have no womin' to chase me outside!!! Everyone be safe stay dry. Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Good morning from Kearney MO. 51 and raining. Looking forward to a wet road to Des Moines.
I am headed home alone. Left the RV, cats and wife in Texas. I need to check the house etc, for a week.
Stopping in Des Moines to get the truck serviced.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
morning all. 43 with mid 60s and chance of afternoon shower if the wind doesn't blow it all away again.
Went to a different church, the pastor is one we've known for years and is always good, it's just a little to far to drive every Sunday.
Took a good nap after getting home, Gwyn and I both. Then we got around and worked in the yard, raking leaves, sticks and old grass. Uncovered a flower bed, hauled off a few old straw bales and Gwyn mowed our little patch of grass. Sure looks like someone lives here now :D
Hope to get another sprinkler done today, we'll see. Need to make a trip across the valley to the Coop for some sprinkler tires too.
Better get, have a great day and stay dry... no problem here.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Administrator
13,443 Posts
Good morning folks. It's a chilly 36º here. George and I are at the cold spot. Sure was a weird weather weekend. Rain, wind and more wind. I have a ton of sticks in the yard to pick up. Seems it never ends, with all these dying ash trees.

After the brief rain yesterday (just enough to make a muddy mess) I hoed/pulled weeds in the front flowerbed and got everything covered in mulch. I used about 4.5 yards in just one flowerbed. Looks a whole lot better now. I still have a lot to do. Sue got some of the back yard beds ready to mulch. I might do that after work. We will probably need another trailer load of mulch, unless I say screw it and just hit everything with RoundUp a couple times this summer.

While all the work was going on yesterday, I made a rack of St. Louis ribs. They were a little better than last week's baby backs, so it wasn't a fluke. :) I was exhausted last night after dinner. I passed out by about 7PM. I woke up at 1AM and couldn't get back to sleep. Going to be a long day at work.:rolleyes:

Well I better get after it. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's a brisk 47 in Louisville, but due to climb all the way to 81 with lots of sun. Air is calm right now, but wind is due back this afternoon. Still calling for rain Thursday through Derby on Saturday, but that'll likely change somewhat.

Humana's main headquarters building downtown is closed today due to a "power outage." I've worked for Humana 15 years and only remember that happening once or twice before. My office is about a block and a half away, but I'm gonna avoid the whole issue by working from home today. Charlie, check off another Monday for me.

I subscribe to a site called GovPlanet.com where government surplus stuff is sold, mostly military. Ran across some interesting vehicles this morning and I'll post them in a separate thread.

Y'all have a good'n and be safe out there.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
45 right now and they say we are getting up to 78 later today. Quite a change from yesterday when it barely made it to 60 with very little sun shining throughout the day. I spent a big part of the day on North Elkhorn Creek near Georgetown with Dad yesterday and the bass were biting like crazy. We didn’t catch any real whoppers but the action was hot and heavy all day long.
Back to work today. Last day of work for one of our guys who has been here for 42 years. He’s only 60 and is in better physical condition than most of us who are 10 years younger than him. He’s gonna be traveling a lot but I hope he keeps in touch with us.

Make it a good day

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Good morning...45° here right now and looks like it might hit 70 later with rain likely. I haven't been able to mow all of my yard yet because it has never dired up yet. I have been stuck twice so far on the zero turn trying to get to iffy spots.
Hope to get my last 2 spools welded today as I have been slacking on them but they are not needed yet. Tony and I worked on his free boat Saturday since he finally got the titles for the boat and trailer. It has a 4.3L inboard that wasn't winterized about 4 years ago. After an oil change and turning engine by hand we tried to crank it over....had to pull starter and give it a make over as the brushes were stuck in place, after a quick bench test we installed it and hit the key to see if it was ok on the engine. Much to our surprise with 4 yr old gas in it the damn thing fired right off. We knew it had a crack in on of the exhaust manifolds for sure but was unsure of anything else. A water hose hooked to the lower unit after restarting lets us know the 2 freeze plugs under the motor mounts were pushed out. After a little battle we got those fixed and restarted again this time we seen the intake gasket was pushed out around a water port and leaking then water came from valve cover and it filled the damn block with water. Luckily we got it shut down quick. Intake will get pulled to see if it is just a blown out gasket or if the block is cracked on the inside some where.

Also I got the car in the shop this weekend and put a buffer to it get some oxidation off and it actually shined up a little. I also fixed a sticking caliper that was making it a pain in the ass to move around.

Well hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Morning Gents! Its 64º and cloudy here headed for the upper 70's with slight chances of rain.

I spent the day yesterday messin around in the loading room. Deprimed, tumbled and sorted a bunch of brass.

Not much going on today. Got to go to a funeral about noon time and probably end up entertaining some friends in the afternoon.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Monday

Good morning all. Had my dose of oatmeal this morning and I'm fixing to meet the rest of the day. Having lunch with a grandson and his girlfriend after a while then we'll go to a great niece's track meet. 5th and 6th graders. She's a 6th grader and the last meet we went to was 6, 7, and 8th. She will be one of the bigger dogs today. Hoping we don't get rained on.

Currently 50 and looking like rain. Should reach lower 70s with rain possible off and on all day. I-65 NB through Indy is reopened in case JR is heading for Skruskeville.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
I wanna cry. you guys are talking about 50, 60, 70 degree weather. I mowed with a hat, gloves and coat this weekend. Barely into the 40's.

Rain on the way, but it will hit high 50's today.

New scope on the way for the Remington 22-250 i placed into the H & S stock. Thanks, Charlie S. !!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Morning all, 66 headed to 81 today here in KY! A beautiful day, slight breeze an warm temps. The wife and I may put some more stuff out in the garden, everything is looking good so far. Shane that old Mopar is looking good! Charlie you must not have any termites where you live, putting mulch around your house in these parts is an open invitation to dinner for the termites! Got to go, you all remember those in need of prayers, Buff out!

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
I spent a big part of the day on North Elkhorn Creek near Georgetown with Dad yesterday and the bass were biting like crazy. We didn’t catch any real whoppers but the action was hot and heavy all day long.
Now THAT'S what I've been waiting for, photos of actual fish, and with your dad, and caught in running water. Did you find any smallies or what I call redeye bass/warmouths? Since it's still fairly cool and since AC is up there in years, I'm guessing you just bank fished as opposed to wading, right? Man, I do love wading a suitable creek in the hot summertime. Thanks for the photos. And I know I don't have to tell you that you'll never regret the time spent doing things like this with your elderly dad. Good on you!

Carpman

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Yep

We were in my little flat-bottom John boat. We usually catch more smallmouth than largemouth but that wasn’t the case yesterday. Only 7 smallmouth total and the rest were large. That section of Elkhorn is loaded with redeye but we only caught a few of them yesterday.

I know whatcha mean Mike. Dad is 76 and still gets around pretty good. He has a rather large, hillside yard that he still takes care of with a push-mower and I think that helps keep him in shape. Here’s a picture I took two years ago. He wanted to try out my nephew’s kayak. He liked it but said he would rather fish from a boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
As per usual, I'm very l;ate to the party. I was up at 5:00 to take my daughter and her boyfriend to his truck. They left her car at my house for this week while they are on the road. Their first haul is to Lincoln NE and who knows after that. Then after I got back home and fueled up with Drew's Brews I made my Monday work trip to Bowling Green KY. I got back around noon and will do some mailing and other paperwork this afternoon. The high was forecast to be in the upper 70's but it's cloudy and may not make it. Still pleasant though.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Administrator
13,443 Posts
Looks like fun Carl. One thing...buy your dad an inflatable PFD. Bass Pro routinely has them on sale for about $70. They're not big and bulky at all. While your at it, buy yourself one. No need to fall out of the boat or that damn 'yak without a proper flotation device. I don't know how good a swimmer he is, but with all that clothing on, and cold water, it makes it very hard!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Great minds think alike Charlie

We were just talking about those. I’ve never owned a life vest that was comfortable to wear while fishing but i’ve Seen the inflatables on TV recently and I looked up a demonstration on how they work. Definitely going to add two of those to the boat safety kit inventory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.