Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
37° here in Upstate NY under clear starry skies, the high temperature today will be up to about 43° and it will be another windy day such as yesterday. Tonight and tomorrow we are probably going to have some rain and snow showers.

Yesterday was a cold windy day, after church I just took life easy and stayed in the house mostly. Today I had wanted to go hunting with Rusty but with the wind the way it is there isn't much since in going. The birds will flush wild and you won't even see them usually. I hope to get a couple times this week as our deer season opens here on Saturday.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio. 34.3 on the thermo outside on the maple tree. During a thunder storm they say a 55mph wind went thru, I know Dean will laugh at me but dang thought I was going to end up in Kansas!! Need to get outside today and do something even if its wrong. Be safe and Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 32 and cloudy, might get to 39. Sure was windy yesterday, good day to stay in and relax. The old curmudgeon group is supposed to shoot today. More domestic chores.
I hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
37 here on the ridge this morning and I’m just glad I’m still here. Like MPC, I thought the wind might blow me away yesterday. It started early in the morning and continued until way after dark. No damage here, as far as I could see but one of the neighbors biggest trees fell into their yard where the swimming pool used to be. Looks like TCTom was able to get out and put some meat in the freezer. Nice one. The Telecheck harvest numbers show how bad the weather was. Less than 9,000 deer were checked in yesterday. For Sunday on opening weekend, that’s pretty low. Today’s total is 60,756 deer with 100% of counties reporting. I doubt anyone will demand a re-count.
I got the 221 Fireball barrel and the scope mounted on the Savage so I might take it to the range today, if there is enough daylight after work.
They are saying the integrity of the steel framework was not compromised in last week’s bridge fire across the Ohio River. Still gonna be a few weeks at the very least before it is open again.

Safe travels to those on the road today. Make it a good one.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Phone says its 37 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Yep, I laid in...woke up at 3:30 and done my best to go back to sleep
And I did...lol and about as sore as I was when I went to bed last nite
All day yesterday my back was tight and it seemed like it moved up
toward my neck, always does. So I may ride out and pretend to hunt
afterwhile...lol
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Good morning from the sticks of Kentucky at 34° and Dark. Why am I up before daylight? I have done that too much before in my working days?
JB has returned from the Army and nursing ward nearby. Seems middle son's leg is a bit improved so she came home to rearm and reload.

I loaded some .45 acp last night and plan to test it for function today. That little short barrel carry gun is a Thumper. A couple to the chest and you may not need the one to the head.
Using Skruske cast bullets which seem to feed really perfect.
.45acp is the one round I have not seen on a shelf in months.

I made my pizza run yesterday and ate in the car again.

Chinese Virus is at about 10% in the state now and a lot of folks in the neighborhood are pretty sick.right now. I suppose I would survive it but it really jumps on old folks. Around 20 deaths a day statewide.
I saw this big White Headed Buzzard sitting in a tree couple days ago. I drove up within 50 feet of him and he just sat there...he was by a creek.

Out to check things over, hope to see another Coyote sneaking around.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
morning all. 20 to start a long day. Not sure what the high will be but we'll be out in it anyway, wind or not.
Two semi loads of the boss mans calves got sent to todays sale. And about 450 cows are in the corral waiting for the vet to come preg test them. Then we have to move them around to several different fields of clean up. Hope all goes well and no one gets hurt.
Got some 223s loaded yesterday and cleaned a couple guns. Not much else though.
Better get moving, lots of stuff to do before the real work for the day.
Be safe, and healthy, prayers for those that aren't. And our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Good morning ya' varmints. It's 34 in Indy heading for 53. No rain in the forecast. Talked my bud Kenny into going to the hospital after breakfast yesterday. They kept him. His son just called to tell me he tested positive. Reckon I'll be looking to get tested.

Have a good day.

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
Good morning varmints! It's a blustery 44 here with bright sunshine. I am NOT up a tree t his morning. Wore out from several early, long days. Plus the winds are a bit much to be up a tree. I could use that skruske fella here for a few days with his saw after that storm front. We had a few drops of rain and a little wind all afternoon, but about 6:30 PM that fast moving line of storms barreled thru and wreaked havoc on the area. We lost power almost immediately and were on generator power until 3:30AM. Best investment I ever made (sorry Sue 😁). The storm dropped several ash trees and limbs around the house. One limb wrecked my fence, the other just missed my big shed. Guess I'll get the saw out this afternoon, maybe.

Yesterday showed some rut activity at my spot in MD. Needed a change of pace so I climbed into my tree and saw 4 small bucks by 7:30. At 8:30 the landowner fired up his tractor and vac and was gathering leaves. I stayed until 9:30 with no additional sightings. Thanksgiving at the in-laws was good, since Sue and her sisters cooked, it was edible. Everybody was happy to see Lillie's deer pics, and she's excited for BUCK season. Think we'll go back to our lucky blind again, unless I start seeing buck activity here at the house more regularly. I've all but written off chance of getting a buck bigger than the one I passed, but I'll still have one eye out the door by the desk blind. I'm down to 5 days left of bow season. Changing gears at the end of the week. Going with a bud and his dad to their cabin in central PA for rifle bear season. There are a LOT of bears up there. Maybe one of us will get lucky?

Well, I guess I should get busy. Prayers sent. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Good morning all.....much nicer here today since the wind let up some. I didn't do much yesterday except run to the shop to polish a couple dies. For some reason my 6.5CM die was scratching the crap out of the brass and was so hard to work I tore a press off the bench. Little scotch brite while spinning in the lathe took care it that problem after getting some good lube in it. Done my 260ai die as well as it had some brass streaked inside it.

Got a dump truck to go work on today in a bit and a tile boot for a trencher that needs work. Hope the wind lays down I'd like to get back out and hunt some more. I need to get back out to my ground blind I noticed My knife missing and remember using it to cut some weeds and limbs and sure I left in in the blind.

A buddy won a SS reminton 700 in 30-06 and helped him sight in in yesterday in 30mph winds but we got it. the cheap ass scope it came with is almost useless though.....blurry as hell!

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Late morning check in, 42 headed to 54 today. The wife left here at 6:15 this morning, I rolled over and went back to sleep. She rolled in about half an hour ago with a 4pt she shot at 100yds with her .270, the second time she has pulled the trigger on that gun with game in front of her. She saw him last night just before dark running wide open like the devil was after him at about 250 yds. This morning he came out looking at the feeder, checking it for doe scent, mistake on his part. Going to let it warm up another hour or so, then go bone him out, she had done gutted him and he is cooling down good. We had some serious wind yesterday, flattened and blew away 2 of my blinds, the other one was good to go. I will send some pics to Charlie in a few, to post on here. This deer with the one I killed, will fill my 2nd freezer nicely, good for another year or more. Covid is on the rise hereabouts as well JR., our county and yours is a hot spot I reckon. The majority of ours, is in the jail I just learned, something like 40 cases out there. You all have a good one, remember out country in prayer, Buff out.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Looks like some of you are coring this week.....that's good. koger, you better keep her, she shoots them and guts them...she's a winner. Pretty day here, probably try to finish painting the new back porch we built month or so ago.
AND, I hate painting.
Prayers for you all and our country.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
A good deer for the Freezer.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Yeah, it's late, but I've got a deer to report. Some folks might call my deer a disappointment, but I call her 49 pounds of tender! Yep, I started the same as last year, with a 49 pound doe. Then I followed up with a 99 pounder. Hope I can do that again this year, because a 49-pound doe just doesn't yield that much meat. One of the prettiest days in the woods I can remember. Temp started about 38, rose to mid-50s by 1 or 2 o'clock, and pretty much zero wind. Grey squirrels were thicker than ticks today and we're worried, cause apparently many parts of the state produced almost zero acorns this year (late frost). Poor little squirrels don't have much to eat. Maybe I'll box 'em up and send 'em to JR's. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts