Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post on using various 7mm's for long shots got me curious. I went back into the gun room and dusted off a rifle I have not shot in years. A post '64 Win (push feed) in 264 Win Mag with a 26in barrel. I then looked up the cartridge on the Hogdon site just to see what's new in projectiles and powders/loads. Seems this obsolete war horse may be making a come back for me in the long range department.

Anyone using the 264 WM with light (85-87 grain) bullets for long range work on PD's, Coyotes (may be too strong to keep fur damage down)?

·
Registered
116 Posts
For many years I have used the Sierra 100 gr. HP for everything from ground squirrels to coyotes to deer. Works very well in every 264 that I have tried it in. I load 70-71 gr. of H4831 which usually chronos 3650- 3700 fps. Fast,flat& light on the recoil! Works for me!!!!!!!!!!! I do have a box of Sierra 85 gr. HP,but havn't seen the need to try them yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First I would find out the twist of your rifle that will determine the weight of the bullet best for your gun - I shot a 264WM cartridge at the 1000 yd. shoots at Williamsport for 2 years before the barrel went "south". A 1 in 8" or 8.5" twist should handle the heaver bullets best plus they will "buck" the conditions alot better, if it is a slower twist say 1 in 9" or 1 in 10" then I'd look at the "lighter" bullets. You have a damn good gun there and I would baby it as this calibers is over bored- you use alot of powder to get the bullet going and the barrel "burns out" rather fast. GOOD LUCK and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I had a win 70 in 264 back in late 60's that...

would only shoot the Sierra 85's and 100's. It wouldn't keep a heavier bullet in a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yards. But it would shoot the lighter ones in 3/4 inch groups. Never did figure that rifle out....thinking back, maybe it had a slower twist than specs said it was. (I didn't know what barrel twist was back then anyway...LOL) They WEREN'T fur friendly,but they sure killed good....I now shoot the 120's in my rem 700 classic 264, the 140's in my 6.5 STW, and the lighter bullets in my 6.5 TCU.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love the 264win mag. My winchester model 70 with houge over molded stock and my new 26 inch encore barrel. I have not shot the winchester much because of the nastalgia so now that I have the encore barrel plan on shooting it very often. The first loads I tried in the encore barrel were the 140 partitions with IMR 4350, and the new 130 accubond with IMR4350 also and both show to shoot well under an inch. This is the first loading so pretty happy with it the encore should have more FPS than the winchester with its 24 inch barrel and the encore has a 26 inch barrel. I think they should make the 264 standard magnum cartrige in every thing good luck with yours

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.