Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Motorized wheat mill v3

230 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Kentucky Fisherman
Well it took several hours of tinkering, but I got a Rube Goldberg chain tensioner added to my motorized wheat mill. It still pops, clanks and acts like the chain's gonna jump the sprocket, but it runs. I think a lot of the problem now is that maybe the sprockets aren't perfectly aligned. But this device will likely be used 2-3 times a week for 10-12 minutes at a time, so I'm honestly not that worried about normal wear. You can see in this video that the tensioner is bobbing up and down a bit as the chain bucks, snorts and wants to oscillate.

One thing that's a little creepy is that if I close my eyes, I swear this thing sounds just like a Huey helicopter. I was in Army ROTC but missed Nam by a couple of years, thank God. Any of you other vets think this thing sounds like a chopper, or am I just hearing things?

Reactions: 1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Outstanding Mike. Little bit of curve in the chain but it stays on the Sprockets.
Yeah, I hear the Huey.
From what I see on this video is the chain I looks straight , but the motor sprocket is not square to the chain.
you can check it out with a straight edge. A large square or a 4 ft level will lineup a and square up the relationship of the 2 sprockets..

PS: your correct, it isn’t going to wear out anytime soon.

looks good otherwise. Gods Blessings to all of you.
Reactions: 2
Well it took several hours of tinkering, but I got a Rube Goldberg chain tensioner added to my motorized wheat mill. It still pops, clanks and acts like the chain's gonna jump the sprocket, but it runs. I think a lot of the problem now is that maybe the sprockets aren't perfectly aligned. But this device will likely be used 2-3 times a week for 10-12 minutes at a time, so I'm honestly not that worried about normal wear. You can see in this video that the tensioner is bobbing up and down a bit as the chain bucks, snorts and wants to oscillate.

One thing that's a little creepy is that if I close my eyes, I swear this thing sounds just like a Huey helicopter. I was in Army ROTC but missed Nam by a couple of years, thank God. Any of you other vets think this thing sounds like a chopper, or am I just hearing things?

Jr got you maken the liquor?
  • Haha
KF, you would do better by putting the tension on the return side of the chain. Mike
Reactions: 2
I too think the motor wheel looks to be slightly out of alignment with the mill. It should be an easy fix.
The finish carpenter in me really wants to align those sprockets on the same plane. 😁
Plus a little corn....a little rye, l think you'll have the Baldwin Sister's recipe 😁
Well, JR wouldn't want me to say much, but I'm pretty sure if I use the steel burrs that this thing will crack corn pretty well. Just for feeding the chickens, of course. ;)
1 - 10 of 10 Posts