Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Purchased A 8mm Mouser With A Monty Carlo Stock And An Old Redfield Scope At An Auction Sat. Its A Model 98 Thats The Only #s On The Gun And The Barrel Tappers Down About 2 Inches Past The Forarm. I Was Told In Was A Early 1930's But Not 4 Sure Does Any Body Know Any Thing About This Mod. # ? I Shot It Sun And It Will Flat Lay Them In There At 100yds.

·
Registered
321 Posts
First of all..... the only way to determine manufacture is to remove the scope base at the front of the receiver to see the stampings. From there you can determine base quality of the action. Considering it has already been sporterized, it is probably of good origin.

Next... you say the barrel is tapered just forward of the stock? My question is.... does the barrel actually taper or does if step down to the dimension? If the barrel is stepped, then it is an original Mauser barrel and probably chopped to length and recrowned.

I currently have an 8mm BRNO Mauser about to be converted to 6mmRemington.

As far as date of manufacture is concerned....that too is often found at the crest location, depending on maker.

·
Registered
40 Posts
although purists condemn it, there is

something special about a sporterized 98...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mortis

I Took The Scope And Base Off, There Are No Stampings Or #"s

Im Not For Sure What You Mean By Step Down, But The Barrel Is 3/4 And Tappers Down To 5/8 And The Tapper Is 3/16 Long All Of These Are Rough Measurements Don't Have No Calipers.

The Barrel Does Have 2 Holes Drilled At End Of Barrel Maybe For A Blade Type Sight, And 1 Hole Close To The Reciever.

Im Going To Try To Send You Some Pics If I Can Figure It Out

Thank You
Paul Smith

·
Registered
321 Posts
Im Not For Sure What You Mean By Step Down, But The Barrel Is 3/4 And Tappers Down To 5/8 And The Tapper Is 3/16 Long All Of These Are Rough Measurements Don't Have No Calipers. Paul Smith
Does the taper looks like the one in the picture?

That is the barrel still attached to my BRNO Mauser Action. Military Spec barrel. Often called the Krupp Barrel, after the Krupp Munitions Firm of pre-WWII Germany.

If the barrel does not step/taper down again to near .500 diameter, then it has been cut down in length. Originial sights were soldered on.

I've heard of smiths filling in the stampings on the receiver to clean them up for resale as custom builds. If there are no stampings or markings on the action or barrel, then it is near impossible to trace date of origin.

Being 8mm, you can be sure it is pre-1945 for sure. Don't have any books on Mausers, so cannot give you any idea of run end dates for that caliber.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mortis

Does the taper looks like the one in the picture?

That is the barrel still attached to my BRNO Mauser Action. Military Spec barrel. Often called the Krupp Barrel, after the Krupp Munitions Firm of pre-WWII Germany.

If the barrel does not step/taper down again to near .500 diameter, then it has been cut down in length. Originial sights were soldered on.

I've heard of smiths filling in the stampings on the receiver to clean them up for resale as custom builds. If there are no stampings or markings on the action or barrel, then it is near impossible to trace date of origin.

Being 8mm, you can be sure it is pre-1945 for sure. Don't have any books on Mausers, so cannot give you any idea of run end dates for that caliber.
YES THE TAPPER LOOKS JUST LIKE THE PIC YOU POSTED

1 - 7 of 7 Posts