Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - the job is taking me to Philly at the end of summer. Tough to find a house out there now, as the stay at home order is a lot stricter than what we have in WI. No real estate showings, agents can't help except with paperwork, etc. Wife is really on edge, worrying about finding a place to live. King of Prussia is where the new office will be.

I'll be cleaning out the basement and probably posting a few rifles on the classified page. I haven't shot competitively for almost 20 years now. Would prefer a local sale so you can see what you're getting.

I would like this to be a fun adventure, not a disaster, but we're living in strange times. Any advice appreciated.

John

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
I am not sure where you are moving from but it can be sticker shock to see the prices
of houses in SE PA.
Your human resources department may offer some help also co-workers in that area should be good source.
If you are into history, it id a very interesting place.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
30+ years ago, I worked in Boyertown and lived in Wayne, just South of Valley Forge Park. The taxes and housing were expensive back even then. I can't imagine what prices are like now. I only lived there for 5 or 6 months when a better opportunity came up and I left. The drive on 422 was around an hour even back then, and I was travelling opposite traffic. All the small towns slow it down. Lots of Radon gas issues in the Boyertown area, as that is very prevalent in the underground. King of Prussia had several big corporate complexes I remember, and GE Astronautics or something like that was there, if it is still in business. Some of the big Pharma companies were nearby also.

Like Charlie said, lots of history in the area, and if you like to eat, you might try Cherry Street in Downtown Philly for Chinese, and South Street for Italian and cheesesteaks.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Y'all have my sympathies, I have been there. Not for old hillbilly folks like me. Took youngest son to JROTC Drill Team national event in Some place near DC. St. ??? County center in Maryland. Went to a Golden Corral and were the only 2 white folks there. Treated great but
Armed PO at cash register. I saw a lot of things I would never have got to see.
Someone said Prince George's county MD. Don't know but I didn't like it much.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Sure will miss you. It's a shame to lose a Milwaukee gun owner. I sure would hate for Milwaukee to turn even more Liberal!

Steven

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the responses. One less gun owner in Milwaukee, but plus one for PA I guess.

I did see more reasonable housing prices in Coatesville, about 30 miles to the west of KoP. That's one hell of a commute once traffic kicks back in. At least there would be some yard for the Labs to run around in.

s3gunner - when my son graduated high school, his motto in the yearbook was John Wayne's quote about life being hard. Love it.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
You may not be able to do this but Dad mentioned ideally, live East of the job/career. Day hours of course.

I turned down a job in DC, Corps of Engineers. Even at top step WG13, i would have to live 1.5 hrs out, with no accidents, for the commute and the digs were very mediocre and i ain't fussy. I would have liked to have finished out in Civil Service after being BRAC'd but it would be 12hrs for a normal 8 hr shift....on a good day.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
You may not be able to do this but Dad mentioned ideally, live East of the job/career. Day hours of course.

I turned down a job in DC, Corps of Engineers. Even at top step WG13, i would have to live 1.5 hrs out, with no accidents, for the commute and the digs were very mediocre and i ain't fussy. I would have liked to have finished out in Civil Service after being BRAC'd but it would be 12hrs for a normal 8 hr shift....on a good day.
Sure thing there Tom. My middle son is a Step 12 i think. He continually gets offers to move up a Step or two to jobs in the DC area. So far he has resisted the temptation and is still in Ft. Knox. He is happy in the area and would be a Sick Dog if he ever moved there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi buddy, congrats on your new job! It's sad and weird at the same time that you can't find a house there. Real estate agents should help you with that. Try to find another agent if your current one can't help you. It's hard for me to help you because I have never been in such a situation. The last time I moved to Germany, I used https://loparemovals.com. They helped me with everything. Have you tried to google houses there? You didn't write the sources you used to find the house. Besides that, you can ask your new colleagues. Maybe they can help you or know someone who rents a house.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The only advice I can give you is move to western Oklahoma and enjoy the good life. I realy don’t think I would care to live in a town with more than 12-15 people….LOL

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Hopefully he has settled in by now. His move date was end of summer - last year. :p:cool:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
LOL….pays to read all the post. EVEN the date….MY BAD

Reactions: George Foster
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.