Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) 300 H&H Magnum with 28", 1.125" barrel in Enfield 1917 action with oversize walnut stock that will shoot a penny at 100 yds.....$250 and 2) RCBS Little Dandy powder measure with 15 steel rotors.......$20. Yours?

·
Registered
876 Posts
How bout this one?

Two like new RCBS Jr. presses for 45$ each. Two different gunshows! Then I got a Redding 3-die set for my 25.06 LNIB for 15$. Big bag of .17 Rem brass for 6$. That is the extent of MY deals. Seems like everything else I have to pay 30% over msrp...:D OH YEAH....We did get a 2005 "leftover" Polaris 4-wheeler for under dealer cost!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went to an estate auction this year that had 75+ quailty guns. I bid on about 20 of them and never got within a $100 of winning one :eek:
After all the guns sold, everyone left. I bought 5 boxes (as big as I could carry) of ammo/reloading stuff for $250. I sold a press, dies, holsters, and some ammo the first week and recouped my cash. I still have about 25 boxes of factory ammo from 223 to 458 Win mag and about 20 boxes of Nosler and Sierra bullets. I discarded all of the handloaded ammo for safety's sake.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
1) 300 H&H Magnum with 28", 1.125" barrel in Enfield 1917 action with oversize walnut stock that will shoot a penny at 100 yds.....$250 and 2) RCBS Little Dandy powder measure with 15 steel rotors.......$20. Yours?
Without a doubt, my DI MXX-123 scales was the big news in my reloading room. I can't tell ya how many things I thought to be true have been dispelled by this scale. I can point to a significant increase in consistancy in results, especially during load development when everything from seating depth to neck tension is still being defined - powder charge variations is NOT one of them, and that is an important one when looking for the "holy grail".;)

The other purchase would have to be my 6-Dasher. Although it was a source of frustration at first (due to a goof I made while bedding it the first time), it is now showing a lot of promise and should be a sucker bustin fool, come the BBB?

P.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Best deal of the year has to be my 721 in .300 H&H, for $50. After bolt repair ($137) I'm in it $187, and it has what looks like a KDF brake and a new Limbsaver recoil pad. I also got ~50 cases, and the owner added two sets of RCBS dies for $20.
Second best: Fat douglas barrel for my 'heavy varmint' project, about 50 rounds down it by previous owner, $75
Third deal, a new Benelli Nova for $150. Owner bought it, shot it one weekend, and it just didn't fit right. Complete with box,manual, choke tubes.
Fourth: about 5k of Lake City .223 brass for $75.
Fifth: A Zeiss Diavari scope, in a trade... I'm in a $1200 scope about $300?

I think there were a couple others... It's been a good year! :D

6mmRemington

·
Registered
485 Posts
2006 Best Buys

Well I can't remember the small deals, but there is one that stands out in
my mind. I took a chance on an E.R. Shaw barrel, that I ordered, just to
see if I could get a decent barrel from them. I ordered a barrel to put on
a Savage Model 16 action. It was a Stainless barrel in a Savage Magnum
contour, chambered in 6mm Remington, with a 1:10 twist. I spent $220
on the order, and put the barrel on the action myself. The Savage
started out as a pretty decent shooting .22-250 Rem. from the factory,
but I really wanted something a little beefier for coyotes, and I didn't
have a 6mm in the arsenal. I probably have a little over 50 rounds
down the tube, and the first powder I tried(VV N160), is turning some
.3 MOA groups in load development. With this powder, I don't think
any load development group opened up to 1 MOA, and most were under
.5 MOA. It cleans up very easily, too.

So this "cheap" custom barrel is turning into my best buy for 2006.
And I am in love with the 6mm Rem. cartridge. I am asking myself
why it took so long to try something based on the 7x57 case. I might
have to get a Bob soon!

I am sending out the order, today, for the MXX-123 scale, so we shall
see if that turns into my best buy for 2007. I am looking forward to
less varience in my powder charges.

Squeeze

·
Registered
735 Posts
A very clean pair of race stock Rossignol GS skis without bindings, for $50. A couple weeks later at another ski swap, an almost new pair of race stock Atomic GS skis with 10-18 bindings for $150.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Browning

Browning Mdl 78 in 22-250 with a Leupold 8X AO Dot scope for $578.00 on Auction Arms. Had all the markings of one of those auctions where you get a steal and the guy comes up with some excuse, "uh...the barrel came off" not to go through with it. No info on the scope, just Leupold, small amount of rust, came right off. Stock has fiddleback from front to back and bore was perfect, best deal of 2006. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
best deal of 2006.... winning a spot on the rookie prairie dog hunt for '07

And getting to take my buddy Chuck Miller along for the experience. I can't wait for hunt to get here!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Best purchase for 2006...

Was a Winchester 52D bull barrel .22 RF in 95% condition, not DCM. Bought it from a friend who said he just wanted to get rid of some guns.. Paid $400.00.

Best ever buy was a Belgium Made, St. Louis Browning Superposed, 12ga, 26" IC/M barrels in 90%+ condition, made in 1939 according to the SN. I gave an old man $200.00 for that several yaers ago.. That was his asking price, not a "dicker" price.. He said he was too old to shoot it anymore and wanted it to have a good home.

Dave

·
Registered
753 Posts
My best deal

I put an $8 ad in the local paper wanting to buy S&W .22 revolvers and the first call was from a gent with Model 18-4 (absolutely like new-no cylinder ring). I paid the asking price of $300. A pretty good deal in my neck of the woods. Thanks for not asking about my WORST deal of 2006.:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
270 Posts
free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

2 brand new Savage SS fluted barrels, 100% FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Other than that, not a thing, I have not been really looking for anything.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Best deal of the year has to be my 721 in .300 H&H, It's been a good year! :D

6mmRemington
Dang!!! I guess so!! I'd give my "I" teeth for a find like that!

P.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts