Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
11,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huner killed this 11 pt? this morning in MD on youth day. He killed a 9 pt with the crossbow last Sat. Lucky $hit. LOL. Got it with his Salvage Axis 243 shooting 85 Sierra Game Kings. Don't know the story yet.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Nice

Pictures tell a pretty good story. Nice going!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ever think that maybe the boy is just a natural at it? There seemingly are folks like that where the biggest or best seem to just walk in front of them. Nice looking buck! Might ask him for pointers, LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Good looking deer

After hunting on a cold day like today, backstraps for dinner in a warm, dry place sounds pretty good, doesn’t it ?

Way to go.

·
Administrator
11,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it does. I tried to hunt this morn in MD but I chickened out due to wind and cold. Already have one hanging. Don't really want to have to butcher 2. I might hunt in the morning. Supposed to be colder but not nearly as windy.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well done, young man!

Very well done. In this day and age of nuclear blasting rifles and "ten mile" shots this young fellow proved the most important thing: ACCURACY trumps megatonnage of impact. In other words, he's good enough NOT to need a [email protected] MAGNUM for a white tail deer. His father should be quite proud of his son's hunting ability and quite clearly Dad has taught him a thing or two GOOD about shooting & hunting! That's one fine deer for a young hunter to get!! Any hunter in fact!
Darrel

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Yeah it does. I tried to hunt this morn in MD but I chickened out due to wind and cold. Already have one hanging. Don't really want to have to butcher 2. I might hunt in the morning. Supposed to be colder but not nearly as windy.
It was 27 and breezy when I hit the woods this morning about 45 minutes south of Louisville, Charlie. I was layered up like a Damlasgna, I'll tell ya, and it worked pretty well. I didn't get very cold this morning, but I was beginning to feel it when the sun started dropping around 4 or 4:30. Saw two deer, both fairly close, but no shot due to the dang understory of beech saplings where I hunt.

That's a dandy buck the young man killed. Same caliber and bullet that I load for whitetails. WD Swift and several others here on the board put me onto that Sierra 85 and it's a dandy.

Carpman

·
Administrator
11,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark consulted with me on the game king. I assured him it's a great bullet based on what I heard here. He said it performed flawlessly. Not too much shock to ruin meat, it exited at 80 yds and totally destroyed the innards. What powder do you use? I would guess IMR4350? He used 36 gr IMR4064 which grouped under a nickle at 100. I use nothing but 4064 im my 243 with heavyish bullets over 87 gr.

·
Administrator
3,051 Posts
Beauty of a buck, congratulations to the young man. I found in my 243 CDL that 37.5gr IMR4064 is the most accurate with the 85HPBT Sierra. The load I like the best with that bullet though in the 243 is 44.0gr IMR4831, in the 6jmm Rem it is 46.5gr IMR4831.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts