Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long post below, but I would like to have the skull cleaned with the beetles if it isnt TOO expensive ??

http://www.cornbread.com/~willbird/firstdeer.jpg (not too graphic)

Finally after Oh I dunno 20 times of setting out in the cold and probably 100 hours total, and two shots at deer this season where the bullet hit unseen obstructions that deflected it, I got a shot at this fella (button buck)...at 150-175 yards or so, held a bit high with rifle zeroed at 75 yards...BANG.....heard the bullet "kerTHUMP"....and he went down and kicked and tried to get away with one shoulder messed up and the other broken...finally after about 50 yards travel he lay down and was still

http://www.cornbread.com/~willbird/entrance.jpg (entrance wound)
That hit about 3" below where I aimed

http://www.cornbread.com/~willbird/exit.jpg (exit wound)
It looked like the bullet was deflected down by tissue, but went back UP in it's passage thru the other shoulder...the lungs were totally shredded)

http://www.cornbread.com/~willbird/amiss.jpg (that leg was not working too well anymore...not sure if even Dr. Howie could fix that)

http://www.cornbread.com/~willbird/chest.jpg (bullet hole inside chest cavity, bloody gory picture not for bunny huggers)

I used TC Omega loaded with 105 grains of 777 powder and a 300 grain Hornady XTP bullet. Hogden data does not specify what barrel length (they show 1641 fps for 100 grains) My Omega has a 28 inch barrel and I have clocked the 300 at a staggering 2440 fps with 150 grains of 777, 100 grains shoots a lot better than 150 and it clocks around 2000 fps...typical 3 shot groups at 75 yards go 1.5" with a 9x scope.

I was REALLY happy to hear that bullet hit meat and bone, many people do not hear bullet impacts so I'm not sure if they just don't listen for it or recognise it, or if you have to be half deaf like I am to hear them, I have read about in in magazines and books (UC for one) and I hear them hit woodchucks and pop cans full of water, and now I know you can hear them hit deer too :)

I had a little help field dressing it but now I know how to do one, you can watch a few times but til you get IN there your not really learning, we didn't spill any nasties inside him so we did good.

We're going to grind him up into ground deer meat tomorrow and get it vacume sealed and frozen..........hopefully the NEXT deer will not take so much work and freezing my arse off :)...I know with other animals like woodchucks the following ones are a lot easier than the first one :).

I saved his front legs to have made into a rifle rack for my Omega, and I think I will save the skull too, he was just a young felle so not really worthy of a mount, but the skull naturally cleaned and bleached will be nice.

Bill

·
Registered
169 Posts
Jim Hackawitz in the Seattle area

He does the dermistad beetles. You can find him on www.accuratereloading.com as he is also a PH that guides in Africa.

You could do it yourself but the Dermistad beetles are now federally controlled and it is a felony to possess them without a license. I guess the mafia and drug lords were using them to eliminate bodies. HR 9406 passed by a landslide. Be careful surfing the web for them as the feds computor watchdog system picks up any mention of "them" and raises a red flag that will have the black Suburbans sitting outside your house. If someone approaches you offering them, WALK AWAY, it`s a sting op. Just what I typed has probably put me in danger....
out..........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy COW, I know somebody or other here used to advertise that they would clean skulls for you with the beetles, what a bunch of BS :). Heck you would still have BONES even if you did use them to dispose of a body.

Feeding the hogs is the best way to get rid of bodies doesn't everybody know that ?? they even eat the BONES.

Bill

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Not to cut anyone out....

but I buried a skull of a nice dead buck I found probably a week or 2 after he was shot with an arrow (for you anti-archery guys, it looked like a very well placed shot thru both lungs, but lacked a low exit hole which would have given a better blood trail - I'm assuming it was a tough tracking job due to the high entrance and lack of low exit wound for blood dispersal). I buried it up to the antlers in November, and covered the antlers w/ a garbage can and weighted it down to keep the neighborhood animals away. The following summer, I dug it up, washed & scrubbed it off (be careful as some of the teeth will be loose and fall out) and was happy with my results. I need to fasten the lower jaws (if you like that look) yet, and tack glue some of the teeth in. It has a pleasant yellowish hue to my eye, and the antlers stayed colored nicely too. You could bleach it from there if you wished - there are a number of recipes for that on the net (just Clorox won't quite cut it), and I think I saved some of them sometime ago for reference.

Now for the beetles, I think PH (Pete Haurer?) that posts here was doing some of that work wasn't he? Pete?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts