Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I shot some group. I only had access to 35 yards where I could shoot safely, but below is what I got. Also, some comments.

For those not familiar with FX guns it is a PCP air rifle, and I can tune and adjust power levels, thing about changing powders and amounts, but this you can do it on the fly with the air power etc. Hammer spring, adjustments and pressures. My FX Impact Compact has a 500 mm / 20 inch barrel and is made in Sweden. Add ons are as follows: Element Optics Helix scope, Accu-Tac bipod (worth the money and USA made), Saber Tactical Bag Rider and Bottle clamp (also USA made).

Also, I don’t think my rifle was properly set up by Krale who is the distributor here in the Netherlands. When I got it from the a different smaller dealer air wasn’t coming out. Krale forgot to check the rifle here is what happened. The front power adjuster spring wasn’t installed, so that had to be done.

Next, I have complained about the lower end of the power curve between Min to 2 was almost the same then it jumped significantly. You could barely see the hammer spring move until you got to power adjustment 3/4. So last night I got the calibers out and measured the hammer spring distance, recommended factory setting is 18.5 mm and mine was almost 23 mm. Thus I tightened the hammer spring and settled at 18.8 mm and this morning things showed much more consistency on the lower end.
“Note: Saturday I get access to a 100 m / 130 yards indoor range, more data will come then and post it. And my rifle if I do my part should easily be able to do this at 50 yards and .50 inch for 10 shot groups and .75 inch at a 100 yards.

Today’s data below:
Gun: FX Impact MK II Compact in .22 cal. / Temp: 59 F / Distance: 35 yards
Pellet: JSB Hades – 15.89 Grain
Pressure: 110 bar
Power Setting: Velocity average FPS (5 shots): Groups (inches)
Min. 698 0.201
1. 747 0.201
2. 796 0.238 (me)
3. 840 (sweet spot) 0.196 (remeasured)
4. 893 (too fast) 0.203
5. 921 (too fast) 0.232
Max. 979 (too fast) (Ran out of Hades – )

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Isnt that a kick in the shorts - not being set up properly - Im sure you paid more for that than a Daisy.
Some very nice groups.
What can be expected w ES from your PCP. Im thinking even more critical at those velocities although somewhat compensated for by the 100m distance.
I had not heard of the Hades pellets. Mfrd by Hades or a name of that particular offering by ?
Nice groups for sure....what say you, Francis?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes 100 plus will be much better judge of accuracy, but FX guns are legendary for accuracy. And yes, it wasn’t cheap, still cheaper than my buddy’s $3000 Swarovski scope but not by much with the accu Tex bipod.
The pellets are made by JSB and for 500 run around $13-$15 a tin. I haven’t personally shot them at varmints but from what people post on Airgun Nation forum they are brutal.
For pellets the sweet spot is around mid upper 800 FPS based off the aerodynamics of the diablo pellet design. Above the high 800s the pellets can tumble and lose accuracy. Here’s a photo:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I wonder if you would get better results by installing a barrel tuner and keeping the velocity on the higher node.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Dang Francis, there you go, sharpening and riding the pointy edge of the Accuracy Spear. Excellent thought.
Remember when there were no tuners on the cf gunz?
Almost like Billy Mitchell being pilloried re aerial bombardment in the 20s.....by the "Best actical Minds"....of the Navy.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I’m a firm believer in tuners for centerfire and rimfire and if it works for them it stands to reason, in my mind, it would work for PCP as well. I’ve shot air rifle for just a few matches now and I’m getting better each time. Still, I get unexplained flyers and feel a tuner would take care of that. Paul has a tuner on his air rifle and it works well. He recently handed his rifle to the best shooter at Kalamazoo and Paul showed he could make him a winner or a wiener with a wrist of the tuner. Joe Chapman was impressed and told Paul he wanted a tuner after the final match of the season. He’s leading and doesn’t want to change anything yet. I’m using a rifle borrowed from a friend and can’t change things but if it was my rifle I’d have a tuner on it. It’s a Steyr by the way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if you would get better results by installing a barrel tuner and keeping the velocity on the higher node.
I am just starting to work on the tuning and I will give the barrel tuning a look. I lowered the tuning regulator pressure to a 100 bar, from 110 and today similar groups up to 10 shots but seemed a bit more jump so I’ll back off on hammer spring. I’m working on a harmonic tune eventually for the gun.
Here is what Hades look like before and after they popped into a large apple. I compare the way the hades opens up to a broad head arrow. As it spins through it rips the flesh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts