Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a gun show today and saw a number of different vendors selling scopes by NcStar. I had never seen these before, and the sellers couldn't really tell me about the quality. Anyway, the prices seemed pretty fair, but, I wonder about the quality. Have any of you tried any of these scopes?

·
Administrator
12,652 Posts
Don't even waste your time considering them

We sell a ton of those scopes at our shop. Frankly, we haven't had THAT much trouble with them, but we've had more and more come back lately. Sent them back to NC Star for repair and they've always sent a brand new scope in return. They do have a lifetime warranty, but even NC Star says they don't fix 'em. They're so cheap, they just send a new one out. They're customer service is pretty good, however. LOL

They are very inexpensive scopes, and I guarantee markup is at least twice the wholesale cost. They're a great scope for a vendor b/c you make a lot of money selling them, but they are not quality scopes.

I purchased one to try a few yrs ago (before I knew better) and don't like it at all. I got a 6-24x50 and it's okay up to about 16X, then the image gets kinda dark and the eye relief is VERY touchy. You have to get it just right to see the whole image. Towards evening, you can't see a thing through them. Not very good light transmission qualities.

I rate them right there with BSA, Barska and Blazer riflescopes.

Charlie

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scopes

Thanks for the well worded reply. What scopes do you recommend that are inexpensive, higher power, good enough to put on a varmint rifle for the occasional shooter. I don't want junk, but, I don't want to spend much either.

·
Administrator
12,652 Posts
well...depends on what you consider inexpensive

You are NOT going to get a decent scope for under $100. Take a look at the Swift brand 6-18 or 6-24's. They are okay, and they do have good customer service. Lots of guys have said they like the Bushnell Banner 6-18's as well. These scopes should keep you under $200. But you really do get what you pay for.

If you can go to $300, you can really get some decent optics. That opens the door to higher end Bushnells, Nikons etc. For example, the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 side focus runs about $289 and is an excellent scope, from what I hear. I haven't used one personally.

What I'd do is keep an eye out for a good used scope here on the classifieds. I purchased a few used Bushnell Elite 4200's (my personal favorite) for around $300. My COST at the shop for a new one is $465, so that's a heck of a good deal.

Charlie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts