Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm subscribed to a site called GovPlanet.com where surplus military equipment is auctioned. Most of this stuff looks well used, worn out, or is simply something I would have no use for, but since I'm a guy and served in the Army, it's neat to look at it.

Up for auction today are 8-10 vehicles in Georgia. This critter is called a General Dynamics Growler. It's a "fast attack vehicle" and looks a little like a WWII Jeep on steroids. There's a pretty good description here. The vehicle apparently is/was used primarily by the USMC and it's transportable via the V-22 Osprey or the Super Stallion helicopter. As for being good for a "fast attack," I'm not too sure about that. The thing weighs 4,500 pounds and is powered by a 4-cylinder diesel putting out 132hp. I think the "fast" adjective applies because it can be moved quickly by air and takes literally minutes to roll off the bird and be in operation. Apparently one main roll is for this rig to pull a 120mm "mortar" that's on a trailer. The weapon has a rather long tube and looks more like a small cannon to me.

I almost forgot to mention, all four wheels on this rascal are steerable. I have no idea why you might want to do that, but that's what the specs say.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Definitely a unique go mobile. I'd really hate to have to track down any of those moving parts for replacement. If I hit the lottery, I'd prolly buy three extras to "cannonball" - as they used to say.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Rat patrol memorabila.
When I was a kid I watched that show every week. Just loved to see that Jeep come flying over the sand dunes shooting the hell out of the nazi’s. I’d love to see that show again:D:D

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
My Dad, WWII vet, enjoyed RPatrol. I think it was on past my bed time or else I was either studying or burning gas chasin' gals. Never saw it.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Rat Patrol

Rat patrol memorabila.
When I was a kid I watched that show every week. Just loved to see that Jeep come flying over the sand dunes shooting the hell out of the nazi’s. I’d love to see that show again:D:D
Oh Yeah! One of my favorite shows when I was young. The entire series is on YouTube, you can watch it Again.
Almost everything is on YouTube that was ever recorded. I watch spmething on it every night and listen to old Cajun and Mountain music from years ago.
It's much more than..."Hold my beer and watch this."

If I had the money, I would buy that vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Jr you got to admit some of those "hold my beer and watch this" videos are entertaining sometimes.

Those auction sites do have some real net stuff on them sometimes. A guy here that owns a trucking company bought a couple big trucks and some trailers for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Jr you got to admit some of those "hold my beer and watch this" videos are entertaining sometimes.

Those auction sites do have some real net stuff on them sometimes. A guy here that owns a trucking company bought a couple big trucks and some trailers for dirt cheap.
Shane, you need to watch the Crazy ******* Russians driving cars, buggies and tractors. I suppose you already have, they make good hillbillys.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
I read abt it w link provided.

Tyre, bonnet, attractive force = traction??
Couldn't load itself in one bird w/o using its winch.

Thinking a Brit publication or at least a write up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.