Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going to Hay Springs Nebraska this Spring to visit friend with a large ranch. He has dogs on his property so I will be bringing some rifles and ammo. Hay Springs is in the Northwest part of Nebraska not too far from the southern South Dakota border. What time of year would there likely be the most dogs out and about? Are the pups out by early May?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Pups might be out?

We ran into pups in April a couple of years ago in S Dakota but that was real rare.By late May you can count on them being out and about.

·
Registered
303 Posts
#1). BEWARE! There have been "season" set for p'dogs in some states and if you are out of season--"go to jail". Not aware of NE, but CHECK!!! (then check again, bunny hugger pressure.)

#2). Forest Service in Chadron has charge of much fed grasslands... (yes, forest service runs the grasslands too... government...) Never hurts to inquire there.

#3). East of Haytown? or West? East is "sandhills" really, hills, huge hills of sand--lousy tunnels and less population. West is the pine ridge. Rougher ground but suitable to tunnels for p'dogs.

Regardless, cowboys have told me of shooting p'dogs in the winter on banks of snow sunning. Makes big red spot on snow (unless they miss). First hatch of pups is in the March/April/May time frame and they are coming and going until hard freeze in Oct/Nov. Then slow down. Late April/May the pups will be about adult size. Almost. (and ignorant as in "dumb"...)

Wish I could go along. Had family there, "in the ground" now. LUCK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Onehole,

I shoot Pd's every year in SW Nebraska on Memorial Day weekend and the following week. The pups are always out. The pups have been out as early as the end of April. I'm sure some will be out by the beginning of May in the NW part.....FWIW....Bob

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Pupps are up

We normally hunt the week either side of Memorial Day and the pupps are up. I really love lining them up and shooting multipules more pop for your dime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts