Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One piece of equipment I landed while working in the gunshop was a Mossberg M590A1 tactical 12ga.

Now I'm trying to find a rail mount to mount a flashlight to the magazine (preferably).

Finding such for a gun that has more or less standard OD barrel and magazine diameters is easy. But, this gun is a HD version with OD of the barrel and magazine closer to .98" vs. the more typical .87" of a 12ga.

Anybody have a source/part # for a light attachment to their Mossberg tactical M590A1?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yep, George nailed it.

My search yielded the same result with Amazon being the best price. That is a no worries mount too. Easy choice.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect!!!:)

Hadn't thought of looking on Amazon. Looks ZACTLY like what I was looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look on e-bay.
There is a company called UTG "under the gun." that makes rails etc.
I bought a rail for my Mossy 500 that is aluminum, very well made and attaches using the four screws on top of the receiver. (they include the screws, and you remove the existing plugs.)
It matches the shape of the receiver perfectly.
I used mine to mount a LED light, but I'm sure a scope would be easy.
I think I paid $20 or less.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look on e-bay.
There is a company called UTG "under the gun." that makes rails etc.
I bought a rail for my Mossy 500 that is aluminum, very well made and attaches using the four screws on top of the receiver. (they include the screws, and you remove the existing plugs.)
It matches the shape of the receiver perfectly.
I used mine to mount a LED light, but I'm sure a scope would be easy.
I think I paid $20 or less.
Good to know! Thanks for the tip!

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the madness! The people here are among the best in the shooting sports hobby! So, pull up a rock by the fire and join in! :)

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After looking into the suggestions from y'all, and trying several (or attempting to, in some cases), this one from Brownells is rock solid, doesn't shift w/ recoil, the Streamlite illumination happens to exactly overlay the group pattern at 20-30 feet...what's not to like?

Well, nothing is perfect. I liked the one that clamps only to the magazine so that the gun can be field stripped for cleaning w/o removing the light. But, rigidity wins out. I'll just have to clean if from the muzzle, I recon.:rolleyes:

The mount was only $45, and fit the added dimensional heft of the Mossberg 590A1's bbl - which not all will (come to find out).

The priciest piece was the streamlite light itself. It has a Xenon bulb and former Streamlites used to be difficult to find batteries for: not now as WalMart has a comprehesive battery selection at most all stores. Better yet, this lite is modified to also accept a double A size battery as well. So, finding a fresh battery will never be a problem now.

A month ago, in the middle of the night, a raccoon was trying to bust into the bird feeder. He might make the first "live fire" test case, if he returns!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He returned, and 41 ~ .30 cal pellets from a 3" shell really put the lights out from about 5 yards (I think he musta caught all 41 pellets by the distance he flew as he flipped over backwards and slid to a stop!).

NOW, in the past couple weeks we evidently have been visited by a SKUNK. I REALLY don't want the pooch to tangle with that bad boy. But! At the same time I don't think a load of #4 buckshot is the "medicine" for a skunk either.

IIRC, only the likes of a V-Max to the head is (in my experience, anyway) the way to dispatch a skunk w/o it convulsing long enough to expel his entire "load" before expiring. :eek:

Any thoughts RE this particular VARMINT????

·
Registered
306 Posts
He returned, and 41 ~ .30 cal pellets from a 3" shell really put the lights out from about 5 yards (I think he musta caught all 41 pellets by the distance he flew as he flipped over backwards and slid to a stop!).

NOW, in the past couple weeks we evidently have been visited by a SKUNK. I REALLY don't want the pooch to tangle with that bad boy. But! At the same time I don't think a load of #4 buckshot is the "medicine" for a skunk either.

IIRC, only the likes of a V-Max to the head is (in my experience, anyway) the way to dispatch a skunk w/o it convulsing long enough to expel his entire "load" before expiring. :eek:

Any thoughts RE this particular VARMINT????

Best I came up with was to use a live trap with a clear back drop. Skunk stays nice and calm. 17hmr to head flips the switch nice and clean. Wait til muscles stop twitching. Still stinks though. Gland releases a drop or two. Airs out quick. Much better then air born spray if you startle them. Just an FYI: best home remedy to remove skunk stink is peroxide, baking soda and dish soap. Vinegar can replace peroxide if your bathing your dog. Easier on the fur and skin. Good luck

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best I came up with was to use a live trap with a clear back drop. Skunk stays nice and calm. 17hmr to head flips the switch nice and clean. Wait til muscles stop twitching. Still stinks though. Gland releases a drop or two. Airs out quick. Much better then air born spray if you startle them. Just an FYI: best home remedy to remove skunk stink is peroxide, baking soda and dish soap. Vinegar can replace peroxide if your bathing your dog. Easier on the fur and skin. Good luck
Making a note of it!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts