Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need help calling wolves. A dairy farmer here on Vancouver Island has about 15 wolves cruisin' around his farm and a friend and I get to shoot them. My friend has snared 3 this year so far but that's not alot of fun. We've thought about baiting them with a dead cow and sitting in a stand 400 yds off, but it'd be better to call we think? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Snares

Greg

Snares would be the way to go. Lots less pelt damage and they should bring a good price. Snares are 24 X 7. We can't shoot or trap them down here we just have to take care of the hybrid coyotes though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oleman, you're right about the snaring. It's just that we have no coyotes, bobcats, possums, porcupines, gophers, groundhogs, etc to shoot on this island and it'd be kinda nice to shoot something once in a while other than in hunting season.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes you're right there Oleman. VI has the highest concentration of cougars in the world. I know 3 guys who hunt them, with hounds. They used to go after the big Toms, but then the littlers were getting a higher survival rate. Suddenly in remote towns we had cougars eating little kids on their way to school. The biologists figured out that the big Toms used to predate on the littlers and kept the population under control. Less toms, more cats-not enough feed, they look elsewhere for grub. The Conservation Branch discreetly asked the cougar hunters to go after anything but the big toms, and voila, we have a stable cougar population and kids haven't been eaten in ten yrs or so.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Shoot 44, If I were you, I would try a dead carcass of some sort and watch it early in the AM (dawn). Tough part would be getting in undetected and not getting busted. Put it in Cover and Tie it well or it will be gone.
Man, I sure would like to try one of those big dogs. Use ENOUGH GUN, sometimes one cannot hit where you want to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JRinKy, I think you've got something. We plan on setting out a dead cow and have a good spot where we can sneak up unseen @ about 400yds. .243AI should do the ticket, buddy's got a 25-06. We're going to try and get a crying deer call as well.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.