Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to build me a AR15 for varmint heres what i come up with and want to know if anyone knows a better way to go about it keep on mind i wanna have a great gun at a good price also if you have some of whats in i would like to know how good it is or how bad ? heres what i come up with

24" stainless match grade bull barrel .950 1:8 or 1:12 twist i am thinking varmint so probably 1:12 is what it will be .
forged flattop receiver/two peice aluminum free float tube-picatinny gas block front sight base w/bolt carrier assembly & charging handle =$455

thats the upper half and i do have a preban colt A2 that i could use as a lower but would rather have two guns because i shoot action competition with my colt...so heres what i come up with for lower

Eagle arms stripped aluminum receivers =$159
rock rivers lower parts kit with 2 stage trigger group =$149
A2 buttstock =$60

or if i knew alittle more about them mabe the new Eagle arms polly 15 lowers for $125 but i was hopeing on some target grips and the poly 15s are all one piece buttstock grips and receiver one peice..... total price with aluminum receiver=$723 before taxes n shipping
with poly receiver =$619 before taxes

please any info would be greatly appreciated ....... i would also really like to know some more about the Eagle arms polly 15 lowers does anyone have one?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yo're headed in the right direction as far as I can tell, except that I'd definitely go with a faster twist. A 1:12 won't stabilize anything over 60 grains well, a 1:9 will shoot up to 70 grains. This is only important if you plan to shoot over 300 yards, because after that heavier bullets drift less. That's why a common Service Rifle load is the Sierra 69gr HPBTMK.
Also, consider the Jewell trigger. Spendy but oh so worth it, I've got one in my Service Rifle and one in my 6mm bench rifle, and ordered one for my new custom 6.5x47 (seperate post coming!).
Do you shoot off the bench at ground squirrels, or are you building a coyote calling rifle?

6mmRemington

·
Registered
169 Posts
Depends on what yer "VARMINTS" are

My Bushy is a 1-9 which is a perfect middle ground twist.

The 2 inch diameter x 1/8 inch thick handguard is a waste of weight. Will replace it with a carbon fiber one when I get time (it weighs over a pound).

The 2 stage trigger is awesome.

the fluted chrome match barrel is fairly light so is great for a carry gun (until they added the stupid handguard).

If you are going to carry the gun a lot, I`d scrap the heavy barrel. The extra margin of accuracy will be negligible and the weight will suck. Mine is too damn heavy as it is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help i am actually going with a coyote buster mabe a few ground hogs the heavy barrel and the barrel twist good heads up guys i was really considering the 1:8 but i have a gun for past 300yards 22-250 and it weighs about 14lbs and i carry it for miles on end kinda got used to it besides it's good exercise and the added weight helps stablize the gun off hand i can keep it pretty much on a paper plate @300 yards with the sling for support .. the 1:12 twist i was thinking it would be cheaper to load for and i could use the same bullets i like in my 22-250 down to about my 50gs plus it will shoot a little flatter with lighter bullets ....

now on the jewel triggers are they better than rock rivers 2 stage national match and what the price difference ... and has anyone seen the polly 15 lowers and how good are they ?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I would go with at 1:8 twist barrel. Much more versitile loading possibilities. A 24" barrel is fine but not really needed. A 20" will do the job as well but that is your choice.

Stick with an aluminum lower. Give some consideration to a Stag or Mega stripped lower receiver. They cost around $100. I've used them on 7 AR builds and I'm very satisfied with the quality. The lower cost can be spent on the Jewell trigger....ya a Jewell is the way to go.

I have also been very pleased with the quality & service from RB Precision for lower parts kits & other peices. http://rbprecision.com/

An Armalite one piece scope mount is what I prefer on my flat tops.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Bring a 5th wheel

I've got a RRA with the 1-8 24" heavy barrel and you almost need a fifth wheel to carry it, boy is it heavy. For a bench varmint rifle it's fine, as long as the bench ain't a far bit away :) . Did I say it was heavy???, well it's real heavy. Of the 3 AR's I own(Busy, DPMS, RRA) it's by far the most accurate but it's the only one with a floated forearm. The thought of carrying it into a coyote stand makes me start huffing, did I say it was heavy>>>:rolleyes: ??

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can you say front heavy?

I have a 24" HB RRA with 12 twist and like previous posters said "its heavy"
A 24" heavy barreled AR is not comfortable to carry, they are not as well balanced as a heavy barreled bolt gun. An 18" or 20" will be just as accurate and a heck of alot more easy to shoot off hand and carry. You may or may not loose velocity, if you do loose any it will be a small amount.

I am also in the process of putting together another AR. I looked at putting an lower together, but after adding everything up, the complete RRA lower with two NM trigger was about the same price. And with that you get a warranty.

I have two ARs with the RRA NM trigger, both work very well for the $$ and me. JP makes a great trigger also and are less than a Jewell. I've not shot an AR with a Jewell, I'm sure they are nice and someone that shoots alot of BR could tell the difference but....
It all depends on your budget and what you want in a rifle.

Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Question on upper manufacturer?

I've been thinking along the same lines but have found prices as low as $350 up to $700. For PD shooting or other varmints how much better off are you with the expensive barrels? If I am under 3/4" I am usually satisfied, at 1/2" I'm pretty happy. Any manufacturers recommendations?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I built mine with a SS fluted 16" DPMS upper and intended it to be a calling gun. It is still heavy. I like the weight tho for a steady hold in akward positions. The 223 doesnt need much barrel length to shoot well so the above advice of no longer than 20" is good. If for coyotes then short n lite, if for smaller then a little weight will help to steady you and keep the barrel cooler longer for more shots.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I built an AR specifically for coyote hunting last year. It's got a 16" match grade, 1-9 twist, lightweight barrel on it. It's also got a float tube for a bit more accuracy. The collapsable stock helps to keep the weight down. It's accurate, easy to carry and to shoot. I leave my bolt guns and HBAR AR-15 at home now. MI VHNTR

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well as i said before my 22-250 weighs between 13-16lbs and i am ok with that the price for the 24" and 20" is the same i really like long barrels so i thought if i did not like it i could always cut 4" inches off :) and have it target crowned on the price range i hope my upper is going to be good for the price i am going to go with the cheaper M&A upper with the 1:12 and someone said something about weight being off balance was that with adjustible stock or A2 trap door ? because i like the A2 standard stock better and they are heavier ..... i think for now i am going to just order the upper and put it on my colt A2 sporter 2 lower it has a nice trigger ....

what kind of groups are the 20" amd 24"s getting at 100 yards with good reloads ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You should really go with a 1-8 twist, that's the best twist for long range shooting. From your description you would be better off with a kit, there are several good vendors that I have experience with, I can recommend these 2 personally:

http://jtdistributing.com/index.html

http://www.del-ton.com/

Here's the rifle I built, J&T upper kit on a Stag Arms lower receiver, 5.56mm with a 24" stainless bull barrel with a 1-8 twist, JP Rifles single stage trigger.

And here's what I can do with it, this is a 5 shot group at 100 yards.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Unless your positive about which lower you will use keep looking. At the shows in Dallas you see DPMS, ROCK RIVER, and Olympic arms for less than $125.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.