Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got the bug and bought a Savage 204 bolt action. Now I need to get some reloading stuff for it. Saw where Midway had Winchester brass on sale for $16.99 per 100. Bullets are running from $15 to $17 per 100. Anybody know where I can beat that. I was planning on going with the 39 grainers from what I have read. Let me know your thoughts.
TIA,

Bill R.:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Win brass for 204

Might as well buy the Win from Midway....about as good as you'll get...as for bullets...don't buy a bunch of one kind...try a pk of each...see what shoots best..39s & 40s....from Nosler..Sierra & Hornady....I have found the 40 V max works best for me...32 V max never interested me in my 204...I do use 'em in my 20 Vartarg...powder ?? I use BLC....easy to use & meters well and loads down the 20 cal neck fast...3880 with moly 40 V and 29.5/BLC & 12 twist Pac Nor..

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree and would only get one box at a time of different bullets. The Sierra 39 grain Blitzking with H4895 has been a good combination for me and others. $16 per 100 Winchester brass is not a bad price.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Unfortunately, the .204 came along just when bullet prices in all calibers has climbed thru the roof. It makes me real unhappy! I've found best prices at MidSouth Shooting Supply, another board sponsor, but all the prices are climbing. My rifles (both) don't care for 40s at all, so I shoot the 32s and 39s and am happy to do so, the 39 has a better BC than the other heavies, anyway.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
My rifle like the 32 gr. Serrias better than anything else with the 39 gr. Sreeias 2nd. and the 32 gr. Hornady a close 3rd. The Serrias are great groundhog bullets but to soft for coyote. The Serrias have a ,009 thick jacket and the Hornadys a .014 thick jacket. I like the AA 2230-C powder. It`s a bulk powder and you use 2460 data to load it, nut it real cheap and I`m getting 1/2 moa groups with it and 32 gr. Serria bullets.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Good choice

Wish I could still get AA 2230-C but I think that mine has petered out. Gonna' try some AA DP 68. 2015 data, I think. Bullet prices being what they are, I'd draw on experience of guys here, skip the 40 VMax, and try the 32s and 39s. Guns that haven't shot the 40 VMax well have done very well with the 39 BK. I haven't heard anybody say the 39 didn't shoot well. The Savage is a good choice. I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mid South too

I did quite a bit of shopping when I set up for my 204 right before the end of the year and I ended up buying from Midway and also Mid South. I don't remember which I bought from where but it's pretty easy to get the prices. I also needed dies too and found the price difference to be quite a bit between the 2.

Midway USA and Mid South Shooters Supply.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 700 vls shoots the 32gr bullets from hornady and sierra very well. I have found that benchmark powder with rem 7 1/2 primers work the best so far. These are the only two bullets I have tried but they both shoot a five shot group that you can cover with a dime or smaller. This gun is bone stock with factory trigger and a cheap simmons blazer scope but I have a nikon 6.5x20x44 I think thats right to go on it. I am very pleased with mine but want a light weight 204 as a carry rifle thinking of a 700sps or the savage. Good luck with yours hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.